ASRA - Australian Skateboard Racing Association

So if your sitting there with a ton of cash, the logical thing to do would be buy precision trucks, right?
wrong.

DTC wheels - cnc'd aluminum hub wheels, coming in just under $250aud for a set.
http://www.dtc-wheels.com/product_en.html
I'm sure jacko, leeso, jezza etc and whoever else has been overseas would of seen them at various races. But the idea of this thread is to shine the light on another over-expensive-dont-really-need-unless-your-racing, but-even-then-dont-need product!

So if those precision trucks aren't satisfying you need for gear, and aren't eating into your funds enough then these sure will.

peace.

Tags: CNC, DTC, wheels

Views: 392

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

haha, def, i need some of those wheels to complete my setup! so i can be as precise as i can without having to worry about using any skill ^__^
they look like a over priced precision freeride wheel to me
they just look like a shinier version of my Krypto classics
pretty sure i wouldn't buy a set, i mean jeez look at the price
yeah i need a set, i can't do stand ups with the shitty plastic bearing seats in my otangs, it adds too much slop. and if i could afford some aeras i would be a serious contender at newtons..... (insert extra dickhead comments about being held back by my gear) seriously how would this be worth the cash? and the description is written in some form of engrish if you click on dtc concept: " a reshape system is able, for more information please writes us" haha champagne advertising
Bozac said:
yeah i need a set, i can't do stand ups with the shitty plastic bearing seats in my otangs, it adds too much slop. and if i could afford some aeras i would be a serious contender at newtons..... (insert extra dickhead comments about being held back by my gear) seriously how would this be worth the cash? and the description is written in some form of engrish if you click on dtc concept: " a reshape system is able, for more information please writes us" haha champagne advertising

cant tell if thats sarcasm because it makes perfect sense to me. You get precision trucks because they have less slop and they can provide the extra edge. I don't see how precision trucks are that much more logical than these. You can also send them back and get them retreaded when they wear out. And as for the engrish, it's because they are european
well think about it, what's the point having precision trucks, when other elements of your board aren't precision? like your hubs and bearings? The product makes some sense, to me at least. I'm not saying i want them or need them, but it's not a totally ridiculous idea.
ok i had just come back from the pub when i wrote that so there was a high level of sarcasm but i stand by my point. bearings and axles are moving parts so i can see the need for precise tolerances between the two, such as axles being 8mm so it maintains constant contact with the bearing. maybe someone can explain to me why a precision hub would provide some form of improvement because it seems like a gimmick to me
my guess is that the hub being precision would mean that the seating of each bearings would also be precise, making sure that the bearings spin completely on 1 axis (given that your axles are straight), it would also mean that the bearings would seat at the precise distance from each other (8mm?) which would make sure that your bearing spacers work to its full efficiency but for that to happen your bearing spacers would have to be precision as well (and such a thing does exist)

I agree with stephen, if you're willing to dish out money to make sure your trucks are precision, then why not make sure everything else is?
Bozac said:
ok i had just come back from the pub when i wrote that so there was a high level of sarcasm but i stand by my point. bearings and axles are moving parts so i can see the need for precise tolerances between the two, such as axles being 8mm so it maintains constant contact with the bearing. maybe someone can explain to me why a precision hub would provide some form of improvement because it seems like a gimmick to me
My opinion.
Massively over rated.
Also, alum cored wheels are a bitch to remove bearings from. Once the bearing seat starts to wear it opens up creating slop at which point you should replace it anyway.
Urethane does not chemically bond to alum. either which creates tyre slip issues. It's all been done in the past.
PowerPaw Aluminators came out nearly 10 yrs ago and there have been many alum core versions before them.
Ask hop how much each set of wheel would cost. He tried to see how much they'd cost to sell here in Aus.

Regarding the precision of bearing spacers, plastic cores have just enough give so they can compress until the bearings meet the spacer. Perfect preloading. Most premium wheel makers these days have it down to an artform.
and the joke went straight over all of your heads.........
Alex and I traded emails the middle of last year. He raced very competitively in 2008 on those wheels and I was interested. He said he was going to try to get to Newton's this year.
The wheels are pricey. I am not saying they are not worth it but for a reseller, the numbers dont add up. The first quote was for minimum 500 wheels. That my friends is $25,000 worth of wheels. Son tell em their dreamin.
The best part was they had a use by date on them. The older they get the duro would change. Something like that. And there was no way to tell when that would happen, or which wheels it was happening to.
The best offer I got was 100 wheels at 5% below the retail price. So spend $5,000 to make $250. No thanks.
Imagine having your team on those wheels? Jacko alone would bankrupt me. I'd be yelling at him - no sliding on the wheels.
agreed /sigh

tom Crane said:
and the joke went straight over all of your heads.........

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Search

© 2019   Created by Bugs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service