ASRA - Australian Skateboard Racing Association

V2 of my speedboard design.

Me and Pete pressed up a deck a couple of weekends ago and pulled it out of the press the next day and there was a bit of an issue. The resin hadn't cured correctly on the bottom of the board. The top and in between all of the bamboo was fine, but the bottom was still soft days after we pulled it out of the press. it was very close to being binned, but then i thought, bugger it, i dont want to waste the money and materials, so i got to salvaging. i removed the bottom layer of glass and resin using some pliers to peel it off, gave the deck a quick sand and it was ready for the carbon. i was originally just going to go for stringers, but thought, why the hell not, and went all out. the carbon was laid up by hand, no vac bagging on this one. there are a couple of blemishes as you may be able to see in the photos. i know what caused these now, so next one should be perfect. it was my first try using carbon, so im really happy with how it turned out. Ill post up the process i used to lay it up in another thread!

Below is the result. This board is smaller than the original, as after testing the first one it felt to be a little too large. this deck is shorter, and skinnier than the original, but fees great! when riding it i feel more precise as everything is closer together, and having the carbon on the bottom, it is even a little stiffer than the original

I will hopefully have another one churned out in a few weeks, so if anyone is interested in one, drop me a line and we can organise something!

also, i dont have a name for this deck yet, so if anyone has any ideas, throw them out there!

Cheers, Ash.

Views: 183

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

its being built around kookies and smokies, wheel base, axle to axle will be shorter by a good inch or so if using anything else

Bugs said:
pete hill said:
...de-wedged eight degrees at the rear and six degrees positive at the front...

I reckon those angles will be better than the 15+/15- of the Evo. Should work well with all the 40-45 deg precision trucks out there.
Sounds good. bamboo?
Are you using epoxy or polyester resin. I take it you polish it to get the glossy finish.
Good job dude. K-Rudds shouting me a Glyde by the looks of it.
fitz,boards are held together with the same epoxies riviera boats uses to make the composite hulls of their million dollar cruisers, no polishing - takes too long, a lick of gloss on a carbon board after its been cut back a bit, and i finish off a bamboo finish with some wbpu (water based polyurethane)
2 inch drop seems a little extreme for my tastes. IMO, with a 1.25-1.5" drop you'll be golden! sick boards keep building, i hope to grab one someday...
Pete, I've had to sand some small grooves into the underside of the deck near the cutouts to avoid hanger-bite. Should I coat the exposed bamboo with something? WBPU?
wouldnt hurt to seal it again, go to mitre ten and look fo "satin cabothane" if you wanna use whats already on it, will keep it fully water proof, did you get new trucks? or is this with the randalls, you will have to show me a picture so it doesnt happen again

Bugs said:
Pete, I've had to sand some small grooves into the underside of the deck near the cutouts to avoid hanger-bite. Should I coat the exposed bamboo with something? WBPU?
Thanks Pete. It's the Tracker Fastrack on the front, and it only happens with the hanger flipped. Those Tracker hangers flare out very low down, and flipping them makes a much bigger difference (much lower) than flipping Randals does.

I've got a Randal 35 on the back, and with the hanger flipped it just touches the deck at full lean.
would you make one of these without the carbon? just wood and glass like you would normally? but with the same graphic. this is a RAD board.. definately considering it cos im saving for a deck :D
hit Mr Daddow up mate (steve), he has some boards available very similar to this.
if i had the money and idnt need a new baord i would definately take on for 230 even a bit more
i only just realised that :O sorry pete no wonder you werent really talking of selling these! haha sorry man
i actually found this thread when i was looking for the dilligaf one. whats happened to it? i was very interested in picking up a dilligaf sometime hopefully soon, but now the threads gone awol.. haha :P have you stopped making them or something?

george keldoulis said:
this is like a 1 and a half year old thread

pete hill said:
hit Mr Daddow up mate (steve), he has some boards available very similar to this.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Search

© 2024   Created by Bugs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service