ASRA - Australian Skateboard Racing Association

Yes, you read it right, here in Oz the #2 of 10 preproduction Wefunk Stealth Division boards complete with the Stealth Division precision trucks (soon to be available seperately) and your choice of wheels and bearings. This board can be yours for a mere $6,250.00 (normally US$8,000.00).

This is your chance to own a piece of skateboarding history.  http://www.cre8ivesk8.com.au/default.asp?PageID=54&CatID=94&...

Views: 5657

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well said mate.

Alex Luxat said:

Hi guys, I really don´t understand the problem.

When I made a few runs of minicruisers, pintails (copied in the same factory now for Z-Flex, 1:1 shape clones) and simple dropthrough decks a lot of people (mainly in Europe (other manufacturers) and in the US) were bitchin about the low prices and that I would attack other brands. Now we have ONE model that is strictly limited and targeted at people who can easily afford it. It just got shot by Kenji Aoki for AmEx Blackcard Magazine (targeted at people who do have a lot of money)

But I also just introduced our new line of euro-made decks that are very competetitive pricewise. I still build the Roadmasters that sell from EURO 1000-1800.

I neither have to compare my carbon decks with any other decks (you can do that of course) nor do I have to justify the price.

It comes down to this: We (as wefunk is no longer me alone) can charge whatever we want for our decks. Some are very limited in qunatity and very expensive, others are not.

If you don´t like it, don´t buy it. If you can´t buy it, buy another deck, go out and have fun.

Cars are a nice analogy. There are racetracks where a perfectly tuned Subaru Impreza would be as fast or even faster than a Lambo Reventon. A Reventon is also ridiculously expensive and most likely I´ll never own one (and don´t want one because I don´t really like driving). Still I think it´s good to see that such cars are built just because.

I haven´t even started about the 20-24hs of work - spread over a week - that go into such a deck and that I don´t want to spend the rest of my life in my dungeonesque workshop building carbon decks just so that people can afford them at a toys price.

Let´s see it this way: The guys who can afford it and like to have it are indirectly paying the carbon decks that I build for teamriders (Lenny, Kim). That doesn´t hurt anybody but allows me to build these boards for my friends and teamriders.

One of our temriders, Stefan decided to ride factory series this season. (I most likely will also because I don´t even have a carbon deck right now.)

Check www.facebook.com/wefunkSkateboards for the new factory made decks.

I just posted the new 2012 lineup yesterday.

PS: Ado is helping me out here because we happened to have the board in Australia and I asked him to safekeep it for us or to sell it if he finds a buyer.

PPS: Saying carbon foamcores are yesterday´s hi-tech and wood feels better anyway is like saying an Mercedes S class feels better than a Lambo Reventon. True -- most likely it will be the smoother ride and will get you anywhere as fast in traffic but it is still comparing apples and pears.

Wow I just read the rest I the thread in not bagging anyone just liked what Alex said.

Words from a craftsman - buy it if you like it, or don't.

Alex, can you tell us where that 20-24hrs of work go?  What are the standout features that make this so different from other decks?  I'd never pay that much for a board, I'm just curious where a perfectionist puts the effort.

slalom?

Its obvious the price relates to the request.

People have long awaited such a board and are obviously buying it.

I see it as the Bugatti Veyron of longboards. Not many built. Uber engineered and handcrafted. Only a very few can afford one, however they want to appreciate such things.

I would love to ride one but have no desire owning (or paying) for one.

Nice job Alex. I would love to see it in the flesh!

I married the wrong woman! :p

Adrian Alderson said:

No, it was the wife that bought it for him and didn't tell him about it (was a surprise).

sick craftsmanship!!! If i had the money to burn i'de have one for sure!!! I don't see why Trav has to Bitch about this kickass... artwork!!! the shape probably clashes with his v neck...

Fitz beat me to it...

It's the Veyron. 

If things like this weren't done, we'd still be on Surfer Sam's...

thats a wild price cant see it being a high turn over item

I'll wait til a grom buys it, gets bored, then I'll pick it up off the marketplace for 2/3rds of its price.

murrah said:

thats a wild price cant see it being a high turn over item

No sure thats correct, carbon and foamcore has already been done well before this. Its not like formula 1, innovation has already happened and continues to happen at the normal end of the price spectrum. Unlike a Ferrari this board will not perform 20 times better that a normal high end wood or composite board. Its more like a watch where a $200 watch and an $8000 watch tell the same time, its just the $8000 one has hand made movement. It becomes a 1% game, I sure this deck has amazing flex and torsion characteristics as everything Alex does, but it adds miniscule comparative improvement  for an explosion in cost

If you read Alex's explanation he indicates that the price has nothing to do with the cost of goods and labor, it relates to what he can convince somebody to buy it for and covers the cost of everything else he has done like making boards for team riders for free rather than the cost of making the board. Most boardmakers take a different root by using the boards they make for free for teams riders to promote volume demand in shop orders therefor recovering R&D cost.

Mike Dalli said:

Fitz beat me to it...

It's the Veyron. 

If things like this weren't done, we'd still be on Surfer Sam's...

not the shape Mikey, i can only buy pastel coloured boards to match my fixie and sockless boatshoes...

meanwhile does anyone remember French Louis's foamcore board from 2 years ago when he was in Sydney?

- super thin, super stiff, torsion box and harden urethane rails for impact.

2 years ago. 

Michael English said:

sick craftsmanship!!! If i had the money to burn i'de have one for sure!!! I don't see why Trav has to Bitch about this kickass... artwork!!! the shape probably clashes with his v neck...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Search

© 2024   Created by Bugs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service