ASRA - Australian Skateboard Racing Association

Ok, you probably have a post somewhere in the archives about this already. But what the heck.
You are cruising down a hill doing probably 40km + and a car pulls out in front of you and you have to stop fast! What is the bast way. I have come from the old school when we had stalling blocks on short boards. I learn't on a Surfer Sam back in the early 70's.

Views: 1710

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

OK
Is a shut down slide heel side or toe side? and how does it differ from a pendy

Nick Stuart said:
learn to shut down slide
a shutdown slide is any slide that stops you quikly,yes a pendy can be a shutdown slide.
at 40 klm a slide will pull you up reasonably quick.....but a footbrake will also
it doesnt matter if its heelside or toeside,just do whatever one you are the most comfortable with...for most it seems heelside.
practice it all,and with experience you get to kno wat to do and when....
probably learn to be a solid footbraker before sliding.
I have noticed that almost everyone pushes with their back foot. I must be old school because i push with my front. I am finding it difficult to footbreak with my back foot. Can you do it with your front foot? I am natural not goofy.

Bernard Robinson (BJ) said:
I have noticed that almost everyone pushes with their back foot. I must be old school because i push with my front. I am finding it difficult to footbreak with my back foot. Can you do it with your front foot? I am natural not goofy.
Your mongo. You can footbreak with any foot. Just put both your arms out to balance and place a foot on the ground lightly at first so your leg doesnt get ripped off including yourself and apply some pressure. Use the whole flat of your foot because imo its easier to balance. Go to clark rubber and get some 3mm about 60cms worth which is $7 and get the Shoe Sole adhesive near the front counter and smack it on the bottom of your shoe. Read the instructions on how to do it on the label.

Alternatively if you can see it pulling out.
Make noise - clap your pucks, shout or cry. They'll give way for you.
Airbreak
foot break
slide
ride around.
Bail.

Oh and if you dont already get gloves, a helmet and knee pads. They are great if your going to bail. Just slide on your knees and hands. Should get pucks on knee pads ey?
unless your some type of yoga master with levitational skills you will have a huge amount of difficulty mastering high speed mongo foot braking. You will 9 times out of 10 end up flat on your face. If you still need to learn foot braking learn your back foot by pushing that way. Practice balancing on you front foot so you can drag your back foot rather than dig your front foot in up front. You need to be able to catch yourself on your front foot if you lose balance at any time.
i'm the same as you BJ push mongo. when i was little all the kids in my neighbour hood used to push mongo as well, must be old school. unfortunately it's almost impossible to footbreak that way, i only recently learnt to footbreak with my other foot on the front of the board, still push mongo but footbreak with the other foot. next time you go for a low speed cruise somewhere learn to push with the other foot, it will feel real awkward at first then later a little less.
if your mogo footed you are best off dropping your back knee onto the board, grabbing the deck with one hand and breaking from that position (think da silva) it works great for me, but its not the best in an emergency unless your riding like that already

sean meaney said:
if your mogo footed you are best off dropping your back knee onto the board, grabbing the deck with one hand and breaking from that position (think da silva) it works great for me, but its not the best in an emergency unless your riding like that already
Im trying to visualise this.
Regular stance, back knee down, left hand grabs front left rail along the foot. right hand on the ground.
how would you activate the slide? pulling hard? its kinda a reverse colemen or a predrift
if am regular footed, i grab with my right hand, put my left foot on the ground

Robert Le said:

sean meaney said:
Regular stance, back knee down, left hand grabs front left rail along the foot. right hand on the ground.
how would you activate the slide? pulling hard? its kinda a reverse colemen or a predrift
Bernard, Im Mongo to (pushing with front foot) and so is Bowditch. Gotta learn how to brake with the back foot. Practice on your street out the front, just at rolling sped. Something that really helped me is learning to push with the backfoot. I can push regular and mongo now which has made regular footbraking much easier. Takes a bit of time but you will get it.

When you are skating to the shop or where ever do 1 push mongo 1 push regular. Try to mimic your mongo push s much as you can. Once you can do that, 1 push mongo 2 push regular. Keep doing more and more and keep practicing the regular footbraking too. Each one will make the other easier.
There is no slide.

He is still talking about foot braking, just a different way where you are closer to the deck and hence (i guess) more stable. Looks kinda cool, but by the time I went to the effort of getting down in that position, I reckon I would prefer to just chuck out a slide. Unless you had to hold a straight line for some reason...

Robert Le said:

sean meaney said:
its more of a DH thing i have found, but it does help you lean to footbreak standing up mongo when you need to chuck one quickly

James said:
There is no slide.

He is still talking about foot braking, just a different way where you are closer to the deck and hence (i guess) more stable. Looks kinda cool, but by the time I went to the effort of getting down in that position, I reckon I would prefer to just chuck out a slide. Unless you had to hold a straight line for some reason...

Robert Le said:

sean meaney said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Search

© 2024   Created by Bugs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service