ASRA - Australian Skateboard Racing Association

I went to a luge event and an ice hockey match broke out

Views: 455

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

yes,shit went down and thats what happened,,skateboarders have a way of making the best out of the given situation,and all in all we had a pretty fun weekend,freeriding was great fun and catching up with mates is always good.Duddy won the party and jackson won the race,.

it was upsetting seeing the racing start off on a negative vibe,and my biggest let down was that we had to go on with it while a good mate and fellow skater was shunned and banned from the event,for that reason the skaters on the podium wore heelside shirts,as a show of support for the magazine and editor who was ment to be there to document the race and give BtS and gse the publicity and boost that it probably deserved.

the decisions made on friday night were definetly more harmful to the sport and the event than a bunch of skaters hitting a few hills could ever do........

we definetly felt like fucking shit up that night but we held our tongues and burned inside,as we let trav take the fall.

all just to try and salvage the weekend and save it from total fail.....even tho i tried to stay away from the politics,it mentally drained me and many others.

next event i hope i can focus more on racing...

thats the magic of a good attitude. The hill didn't have to be the best for us to have a good fun time. 

Ryan 'RY RY' Peterson said:

At Callum-

You said "But from our expereance we had an awsome time!" 
and

"a $100 well spent for me...."

If this doesn't fall under "i never said it was good" then i'm not sure what does...

hey finn

before you put a post up regarding someone, think for a moment, and know the facts, we where asked buy the organizers and promoters of the event to "ride" the hill for promo, we never "RODE" the hill, unless you call rolling around one corner stopping walking back up, picking up the cameras, walking down, setting them up again, walking back up to the boards, rolling around the next corner and doing this for all the corners, we walked more than rode and i took ALL day, or did you think they employed as many camera men as they do for the touring cars for just one ride down the hill, on top of this, they used HYPE to get word out about the almost cancellation of the event to get people talking about the event, the event was never in danger, Ben the organizer and others would never of allowed that to happen, they have a 5yr investment in the NN event and they need to see a return, and Ben at the time was using anything he could to get word out about it, did you notice how poor the promo was? they were scrambling for promo anyway they could get it, we unfortunately ended up being seen as arseholes for yet again, people in power with alternative motives to use others for their own purpose, i for one love stand up and luge and i do both, i also support both, i RACE luge, because i suck at stand up still, well i think so, but when it's all said and done, i'll do anything i can to promote "OUR" sports and i would never try to jeopardize something great that i love, i had a great weekend with great mates, which of whom all seem to roll on wheels, as for some minority's i would rather leave them to their grievances and enjoy a free and friendly life style with with all my mates that blast down crazy ass hills.

Nuff Said!

PEACE!

Finn said:

Newton's Nation wasn't jeopardised when Owen broke his pelvis, and was hospitalised, skating a hill on his  way to NN 3 days before.

However, Newton's Nation was very nearly jeopardised when Daz-the-Cowboy and Rollerman stupidly rolled Mt Panorama just before the event.

All things aside I had a great weekend, even thought i wasn't riding just seeing all the people who did show up and being able to hang out with some of the raddest people I am lucky enough to call friends put a missive smile on my face and kept me powering through on the few hours sleep I had.

I think we can all agree that the volunteers put in a massive effort, so many of those guys put their hand up not only to offer their time but their knowledge and utilities (i.e. trucks, utes and machinery) 

without them (whatever your opinion of the event) they deserve a massive thankyou... especially the half blind 70 year old guy working the top road block.

The fact that the area holds SO SO SO SO SOOOOO much potential for events (those that have ever even just driven through the area know exactly what i mean) no where else holds the same number of quality surfaced AND gnarly roads, in such a small area.

The amount of potential this holds for possible event location is like no other. 

On a personal level it hurts that being a 'luger' should be such an issue and deem me inferior in any way. The greatest thing about this community (streetluge, skate, gravity or otherwise) is the melting pot for different people and the acceptance that comes with being different but held together with this common love....

And before anyone say 'this isn't the issue' or 'this isn't relevant to this discussion'

yeah maybe, but the positive aspects and people of the event need a mention too.

skater or luger.. I dont care... we're all after the same things...

Good Karma people.... 

hey merick

yet another victim of not knowing the facts, yes by they way, twas i that had the crash, and was i that went to hospital, i did walk out the next day with only bruising thank you for asking, as for the silly comment you have made, i could run you through the whole scenario but hey, won't bother you with details, but we all know accidents do happen, i truly don't care to point this out as it benefits no one, but we lost a great stand up rider just recently doing the same thing i did if you recall, and i am heart broken to see the sport turn the way it has against it's self, and seeing people are being poluted with silly politics, i stand for myself and "OUR" sport only and hope things have a brighter future for all.

PEACE!

Merrick Wildash said:

GSE have reason to bitch and cry about the actions of the guys that skate on the friday. 

It in no way effected the outcome of the event..  Wasn't it only last year that some dip shit luger crashed in the snowies needing to be admitted to hospital..

And they call us reckless 

"The fact that the area holds SO SO SO SO SOOOOO much potential for events (those that have ever even just driven through the area know exactly what i mean) no where else holds the same number of quality surfaced AND gnarly roads, in such a small area.

The amount of potential this holds for possible event location is like no other. "

So true, Why then was a straight rough shit road chosen for the location of this event and then talked up like it was one of the roads mention above? Why mislead people? not good karma....

so true steve, we are getting alot of peoples input on this thread who have no idea of what actualy happened which has steered the conversation from the real issue of lying just to fill up spots in skateboarding, then assaulted by organisers, and verbaly abbused by people in the crowed (who just happened to be lugers)... its not the luging community that should cop all the shit, because people like ado, daz etc... are not at fault, and are still seen as good blokes by the skateboarding community, the use of the word "lugers" was to avoid nameing names, not descriminate...

I'm going to be a complete asshole here and point out that luge has no bright future.

DazTheCowboy said:

i stand for myself and "OUR" sport only and hope things have a brighter future for all.

u mad?

@ Steve, I understand what you are getting at, However the reality of organising an event is much more complicated.

although there are all these fantastic roads we were not YET in a position to be able to use them ....

as many of the 'good roads' are main roads and used by locals, the road that we picked ultimately had to have a form of bypass in order to have minimal disruptions to the public and thus gain approval from council. of course there are roads out there that we would have LOVED to have raced, unfortunately its not always that simple.

In the end council had to give final approval of the road we used and the traffic management plan.  For the cause of looking to the future and having future events we needed to formulate working relationships with local council, police and community . Essentially this year was the time for us to prove that we are not the stereotypical crazed idiots that pelt ourselves downhills with no regard for our own or the public's safety. 

Having a solid base to work with is key.

Steve said:

"The fact that the area holds SO SO SO SO SOOOOO much potential for events (those that have ever even just driven through the area know exactly what i mean) no where else holds the same number of quality surfaced AND gnarly roads, in such a small area.

The amount of potential this holds for possible event location is like no other. "

So true, Why then was a straight rough shit road chosen for the location of this event and then talked up like it was one of the roads mention above? Why mislead people? not good karma....

Kelly Carter said:
What i did to mine as soon as we got back to the hotel
i lol'd

RSS

Search

© 2024   Created by Bugs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service