ASRA - Australian Skateboard Racing Association

For anybody who may have missed it this is the interview Haggy did for the ABC regarding the new Queensland laws for recreational vehicles. The second track is the listener comments after the interview.

Double click on track to play

Tags: interview, radio, safety

Views: 317

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

can i just say, this, to anyone who wants to try and kill off skateboarding is that they will see a increase in mental problems like depression in young people that need treatment. I can list off about 20 guys i know who where saved from that downward spiral by skatboarding myself being one of them, if i hadnt found it i have serious wonders about my state today if i didnt find freebording and downhill when i did, likewise that of my friends. I dont want to see the next group of kids like i was growing up and not having that outlet like me these laws are just shutting another door for people to get out of.
Ok no bathurst segment in the 60mins program. never trust people at work duhhh!
haha, yeah me and ching watched it just to see the newtons segment, there was nothing though.
Hahah sorry Mate it all looks the same to people who dont know the sport.

Gilbert said:
haha, yeah me and ching watched it just to see the newtons segment, there was nothing though.
how dissapointing is it that the ABC starts this interview with morons talking crap which basically portrays this skating community as a bunch of drongos with phrases like 'if i wasnt skating id be taking drugs,getting maggot' etc.
we have been fighting this image for years.
we are not all like the younger boys in the interview,we take skating as seriously as someone who might be aiming for supercars or the olympics.
thanks for being so professional haggy,youve done a good job for all of us.
i hope the general public can see this.
As far as the woman being hit,... I bet she backed out of her driveway.
The horror was not that the guy broke his back,... to her it was the fact that someone did $7000 damage to her car. It sounded like a terrible accident,... but these things happen all the time to cyclists and no one gives a crap.
There may have been a reason he was on the wrong side of the road, like maybe overtaking another car. If it was a man on a motorbike,.... or another car that hit her, it would have possibly caused her injury, and cost her more $$$.

Id like to know the full story too.
What a load. Surly the Goverment has more pressing problems than skating of the top of my head i'm thinkin finacial crisis, but then again with so many of us criminals out there they had to act wont be long and we will have the same laws as bike gangs imposed on us.
At the end of the day its the same as any other fine issued by police, they can use their discretion and not all cops are arseholes. So smile and you might get lucky you never know they might let you off the fine too.
There has to be a better way to do something than just giving up.
I know what you are saying Judge,... but weve got to be able to approach this issue somehow.

I suppose I'll just be a criminal.

How ridiculous that Insurance companies are the ones in charge of the law. Lawyers and lawsuits, and payouts.
They even got away with passing a law to stop kids selling lemonade on the sidewalk. What a sad day that was.
Who the hell sues the council over shit like this anyway? No-one I bet. Fantasy scenarios made up by Insurance companies.
we could always try to rally, at parliament. Everyone shows up with boards in arms, pads and helmets on, and doesn't say anything, we don't shout, we don't wave signs, just wait out the front until they come out to see what's going on, and then we have someone who knows what's what talk about how we feel about this issue, and if there was any possible compromise.

We have to do something about this, we need to get our opinion out there and i figure, we're all a bunch of nice guys and girls, we don't ruin public property, we try to be as little nuisance as possible, so why not show all of that before we even speak by 'protesting' in a non-protestant way?
i have been trying to talk fendy round to helping organise a rally, talking to the street skaters i know they have been copping it pretty hard off the cops for cruising swanston street and a few got fined on the weekend, all they where doing is skating from melb surf or fast times to riverside and 3 of them got fined too, If we get a rally it will really get alot of attention and alot of people going down there because it fucks street skaters who want to get from the station to the skatepark or the skate shop to the skatepark, i reckon we should skate from linkin square to state libary then cruise down to riverside

Dale said:
we could always try to rally, at parliament. Everyone shows up with boards in arms, pads and helmets on, and doesn't say anything, we don't shout, we don't wave signs, just wait out the front until they come out to see what's going on, and then we have someone who knows what's what talk about how we feel about this issue, and if there was any possible compromise.

We have to do something about this, we need to get our opinion out there and i figure, we're all a bunch of nice guys and girls, we don't ruin public property, we try to be as little nuisance as possible, so why not show all of that before we even speak by 'protesting' in a non-protestant way?
i'm surprised the shocking state of most footpaths wasn't mentioned. at night it's almost always safer to be on the road simply because of the roots, divots, and generally other tectonic activity that afflicts the typical urban foot path (which also happens to be obscured from the ambient street lighting by signs, trees etc.)

what a load from the government. come up with a useless, unfair law that targets a healthy, fun activity, when a helmet and a bike light clipped to your pocket would solve the same problem.
just posted this in RETRO.
But it has its place here as well. You guys are a MENACE! and have been since 65!! :D

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Search

© 2024   Created by Bugs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service