ASRA - Australian Skateboard Racing Association

Comet did it with the FSM, now its ASRAs turn to build a cummunity designed board.

The idea of this project is to design a communal mold, something that most people are happy with, whether it be a rockered freeride or topmount speedboard, whatever, then to build custom longboards to your specs from that mold. This means custom shape, flex (if any), wb, width, mounting option, graphics, the whole package.

So go crazy, talk about what works, what you'd like, and hopefully everyone can decide on a final design for the mold which will be produced.

Include;
-concave shape (flatcave, wavecave, W-cave, toecutter etc.)
-amount of concave (?mm)
-rocker/camber/flat, footpockets, wedging
-anything else you can think of, just go crazy, I'll tell you if its not possible

The final product will be for sale, in around 4-5 weeks time (after the design proccess etc) and you will be able to order a completely customized board from this mold. The more buyers, the cheaper the boards, though at the moment the price will be around $100 - $120 for a woody.

There will also be an option to buy an uncut blank form the mold, if that tickles you fancy

Just to give you some ideas, heres some picks from my latest mold

Help design your dream board....

Tags: DIY, board, build, built, community, custom, longboards

Views: 1100

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

how much would it cost for you to make me a simple topmount blank with 15mm of round-ish concave? nothing complicated, just normal concave. and with the holes drilled because i can't drill boards for the life of me
using the press I have at the moment (which is a bit more like 10mm concave),
around the $50 mark shipped, building a new press for it would bump it up a bit

sorry for the edit, thought I read deck, not blank

stephen.mhsrider said:
how much would it cost for you to make me a simple topmount blank with 15mm of round-ish concave? nothing complicated, just normal concave. and with the holes drilled because i can't drill boards for the life of me
sounds good, i will probably pm you within a few weeks once i get through my list of to buy stuff

this is a really cool concept, i like it. good on you and i hope it all goes well
I'm liking Dylans idea but maybe 1" drop
i would like to avoid something thats lowered as it limits the specs you can use for it, lets go somethign thats universal
a customisable radial drop press is possible, but it would be a hard to make, and im not sure how well it would work

for those interested I was thinking of having horizontal pieces mounted on some thick dowel or steel rod. The horizontal pieces would have holes drilled through them all aligned so that each piece can be fed onto the rod, allowing you to adjust the distance between the drops by adding or subtracting pieces. This would mean that it would have to be a solid press, thus meaning more materials, more manhours and higher price on the finished product.

sean meaney said:
i would like to avoid something thats lowered as it limits the specs you can use for it, lets go somethign thats universal
cast the forms from reinforced concrete sections which are modular. centre section which is parallel, make multiple of the same to vary length between ends. one more mould to cast the end lowered section. cast 2 , 1 for each end. Reverse for oppposite half. 4 moulds in total.
3mm sacrificial ply to go over concrete to save deck from being scratched up.
mould the cast sections with a channel throught the middle on the bottom so they can be mounted onto a rectangular section steel pipe. this will help keep them all aligned.

Like you said, it's possible but very time consuming.
Credit to you for keeping the stoke. I gave board making away because I neither have the time or space to do it any more.

Jezza said:
a customisable radial drop press is possible, but it would be a hard to make, and im not sure how well it would work

for those interested I was thinking of having horizontal pieces mounted on some thick dowel or steel rod. The horizontal pieces would have holes drilled through them all aligned so that each piece can be fed onto the rod, allowing you to adjust the distance between the drops by adding or subtracting pieces. This would mean that it would have to be a solid press, thus meaning more materials, more manhours and higher price on the finished product.

sean meaney said:
cheers

concrete, great idea! I was thinking foam and dimm styling it, which is time consuming in its own right

Fitz said:
cast the forms from reinforced concrete sections which are modular. centre section which is parallel, make multiple of the same to vary length between ends. one more mould to cast the end lowered section. cast 2 , 1 for each end. Reverse for oppposite half. 4 moulds in total.
3mm sacrificial ply to go over concrete to save deck from being scratched up.
mould the cast sections with a channel throught the middle on the bottom so they can be mounted onto a rectangular section steel pipe. this will help keep them all aligned.

Like you said, it's possible but very time consuming.
Credit to you for keeping the stoke. I gave board making away because I neither have the time or space to do it any more.

Jezza said:

sean meaney said:
im new 2 downhill so this mite not work or even make sense....but alot of people hav been wanting a dropdown design, but rather than limiting your specs... try a drop thru with more layers(or thicker) at each end where the trucks sit...giving a lower profile and the feeling of a dropdown... but i dont know whether that would work im just thinking out of the box a bit.....
interestnig idea, it would mean you could have awesome little pockets on the nose and tail, i would be worried about rail bite and it limiting what trucks you can use (ie indys might be too low)

matti rae said:
im new 2 downhill so this mite not work or even make sense....but alot of people hav been wanting a dropdown design, but rather than limiting your specs... try a drop thru with more layers(or thicker) at each end where the trucks sit...giving a lower profile and the feeling of a dropdown... but i dont know whether that would work im just thinking out of the box a bit.....
as long as the nose and tail thin (horizontally) there shouldnt be any wheelbite....
It would totally work matti,
In fact I've already seen it done before.

Back in 2005 I bought this deck semi finished from a swedish DH rider staying here at the time. He was going back home and sold all his deck building materials to me.

You can see how he's put extra ply's on the nose and dropped the truck thru. He then hand carved/sanded the lowering shape into the deck.

Still very much a pain in the butt though.
Adds more weight to the deck and also plays up with how the upper/male form applys pressure. Uneven ply layups means uneven pressure.

matti rae said:
... try a drop thru with more layers(or thicker) at each end where the trucks sit...giving a lower profile and the feeling of a dropdown... but i dont know whether that would work im just thinking out of the box a bit.....

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Search

© 2024   Created by Bugs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service