took out his third Conehead Cup race of 2008 at the Pump Station on Saturday while arch-rival Steve Daddow took second. Haggy Strom returned from injury to take third place.
The result gave Jackson the points he needed to clinch the overall win in the 2008 Conehead Cup. Steve was just a few points behind in second place, while Paul Carey came in third.
The 2008 Conehead Cup started with a race defined by the weather
, and on Saturday morning it looked like it might end the same way. The mountains were shrouded in a cold fog and persistent light drizzle, and no amount of weather-optimism seemed to capable of clearing it. Just as in Canberra
the racers adjourned to a nearby multi-story carpark to burn off some tension and wait for conditions to improve.
And by mid-afternoon they finally did. The road dried out, the course was set and everything was ready to begin, and then...the rain came again, causing another tension-filled wait for the road to dry.
Despondency began to set in, but miraculously the road dried again, and at 4:30pm the race, which had been scheduled to start at 10am, began.
Right from the start it was awe-inspiring to see the way everybody attacked what was a fast, steep and difficult course. Jackson and Steve employed contrasting styles. Steve double- and tripled-pumped his way around the big offsets, while Jackson opted for single big powerful pumps. Steve's method had proved itself in the past, but this time Jackson was consistently faster, with a clean and efficient line and less wheel-scrubbing.
Nathan Paff set the early running with a powerful drop-knee surf-style before being overtaken by a rusty Haggy Strom. And in one of the bigger surprises of the day, the normally consistent Paul Carey could only manage 7th place, more than 3 seconds behind Jackson.
Conehead Cup Overall Placings
Click for full-size version.
To see the photos individually, click here
* Everybody for keeping the stoke going throughout a long and sometimes frustrating day, and then for leaving the Pump Station spotless clean and ready for another day!
* Lea Shapiera for (wo)manning the magic spreadsheet and takin' the $.
* Simon for being start-line nazi.
* Groundhangers for timing and co-ordinating the starts with Simon.
* Baz and all the cone-heads.
* Baz and Jess and Dave and all the other chefs who kept us fed all weekend.
* The Robbo siblings, Dave and Lea, for being fantastic hosts and creating the ASRA Clubhouse.
* Mountain Mick for prepping the mountain.
* Everybody chipped in all weekend long in a million ways - thank you all.