ASRA - Australian Skateboard Racing Association

Ok, well...

Myself, Dion and Nat were on our second run of Willy Hill this afternoon when a cop met us down the bottom. And as it turned out, he wasn't a very nice one. After telling us how stupid we are, he asked our ages and seemed delighted to find out we are all adults. He then called up another cop and proceeded to ask him how many things he could charge us with and if he could arrest us. After getting off the phone, he told us we were all under arrest and he was charging us with 'due care' (something about being reckless apparently).

Then the three of us hopped into the police car and went to the local police station. When we got there we were each individually interviewed and had our DNA, fingerprints and photos taken. Then they seized our boards, helmets, gloves, shoes, leathers, and my GoPro camera. Then after applying for bail, we were left with just our skins on sitting in separate cells until we were allowed out.

Apparently we now have a criminal record. And have to attend court late January next year.
Not sure when we get our skate gear back...but it wont be before we've been to court.

Does anyone know if this is even possible? Or are we just extremely unlucky? We've been caught on that hill before but only received a $57 fine. This has just taken it to a whole new level.

I'm a bit devastated about them taking all our stuff :( really wanted to skate this weekend haha.

Views: 435

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Been following this thread and saw the story tonight and i must say that it's total BS (especially the part about a criminal record!!) and by the looks the cop wants to use you as an example to put fear into the rest of us so we never ride down a hill again. I think our future both here in SA and around the country will hinge on the outcome of this in January so i think we need to rally together as a community and do what we can to help these guys wether it be raising $$ for solicitors or whatever.

The community, police, polticians and councils need to know that we aren't going to go away and we certainly aren't going to stop doing what we love just because one cop wants to go on a little power trip.

What next, get caught 3 times and everyone gets their boards crushed? We've seen it time and time again with the hoon laws, "you cant do this and you cant do that but we wont support you and help build a track so you can do it safely"

What a joke!
nice duff. yeah we must get behind them all the way and offer all support we can. daniel and i have begun talking to adelaide hills council and are now beginning an official campaign for spots/events.
im also gonna start talking to senior police officers NOT ABOUT THIS INCIDENT tho. It would be great to have your help with that once i get to the right people.
Couldn't agree with you more Nick
I agree with Dani this need to not be taken lightly and needs even more to be backed by the skateing community.I would take your story to the local papers and get the local skate community behind you to deal with this properly. Moments like this will define the futer laws of our sport!!
i get stopped alot but never that far . that sucks man
Good to hear Sean! Yep count me in we'll have to have a chat about it soon
yeah sick, thx duff. also can u please send me an update on collingrove to my inbox.
cheers mate.
how about starting a petition to have free roads to skate or at least having skating taken as a sport that has to has its needs
meet .ie safe closed rds to practice on etc,
The council provides areas for motoX , carts, cycle lanes, even areas where hoons can drag race ,
why not have selected areas for DH rides ..this is an international sport with world recognised rankings
so why dont we have a place to practice, ?
put a petition in every skate shop in Oz visit every skate park and school . get parents to sign it as well
then submit it to your local mp .
could be a good start.

as for the cops taken your gear I would talk to legal aid ..the cops have to abide by the law too.
but its better to let them be dickheads and take your stuff rather than getting busted for obstructing or if you lay a finger on them its assault.
you should get your gear back at some stage . as they have no grounds to take it unless they gave you a warning first
or it was un safe to be on the road as a form of transport . in which case they should have made you walk home.
try and get hold of the arresting officers statement of facts as he will present it,
any good lawyer should be able to get hold of it .. it called a charge sheet.
but basically I think youll have to wait to see what the judge says.
totally sux though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7223YzGQpE

check for those who havent seen it

not to bad most positive news we have had yet
Yeah a decent news piece for once.
Dion Sternberg said:

check for those who havent seen it...not to bad most positive news we have had yet

That's better press than I could possibly have imagined.
Agreed,
Very middle of the road reporting (pardon the pun).
Chicks dig skaters. I think you guys have a fan. Ha!

Pray for a light hearted judge on the day. Stay positive, put in a solid case and I reckon you will end up being winners.

Bugs said:
Dion Sternberg said:

check for those who havent seen it...not to bad most positive news we have had yet

That's better press than I could possibly have imagined.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Search

© 2024   Created by Bugs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service