ASRA - Australian Skateboard Racing Association

Comet did it with the FSM, now its ASRAs turn to build a cummunity designed board.

The idea of this project is to design a communal mold, something that most people are happy with, whether it be a rockered freeride or topmount speedboard, whatever, then to build custom longboards to your specs from that mold. This means custom shape, flex (if any), wb, width, mounting option, graphics, the whole package.

So go crazy, talk about what works, what you'd like, and hopefully everyone can decide on a final design for the mold which will be produced.

Include;
-concave shape (flatcave, wavecave, W-cave, toecutter etc.)
-amount of concave (?mm)
-rocker/camber/flat, footpockets, wedging
-anything else you can think of, just go crazy, I'll tell you if its not possible

The final product will be for sale, in around 4-5 weeks time (after the design proccess etc) and you will be able to order a completely customized board from this mold. The more buyers, the cheaper the boards, though at the moment the price will be around $100 - $120 for a woody.

There will also be an option to buy an uncut blank form the mold, if that tickles you fancy

Just to give you some ideas, heres some picks from my latest mold

Help design your dream board....

Tags: DIY, board, build, built, community, custom, longboards

Views: 1100

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

a few mm of W cave would be nice, just like they have on the landy drop wedge, its just enough to make your feet feel nicer on the deck

Nick Stuart said:
w concave :)
how about a killswitch suttle drop at the back for a gas pedal, then a bowl of rocker for the front foot?????
okay then, reading back through the old posts + the new ones, seems W cave does pop up a few times, as does rocker... so

10 to 12.5mm flatcave at front
10 to 12.5mm flat-wavecave (4 to 5mm peak on the W) in the rear, so if the board is symetrical you can have the flatcave at the front for pushing and freeriding, and at the back for bombing
about 10 to 12.5mm rocker, symetrical

@dylan that board is trippy!!!!!! cool concept, though seems pretty labour intensive. What i was thinking is making the press quite long, so that the 'risers' can be cut with the same concave as to fit the board exactly, which makes them removable aswell

also how does everyone feel about the 'hollowcore' idea
Jezza said:
okay the votes are in..

10mm to 12.5mm concave, flatcave in nature
no camber or rocker

anyone got any serious problems with this setup. Shall voting continue?? Doesn't seem all that revolutionary. I was hoping for something like Robbos pic.....

*just on a side note I decided throw something in one of my old presses....
I used my usual 6 ply (which suits my weight), though on the middle two layers I cut loads of holes all over the piece, stopping about an inch in on all sides from where I wanted to cut the deck. The holes were just randomly placed, just as an experimental sort of thing, well i just finished cutting out the deck, stood it on some wood and jumped on it. Compared to all my other decks (also 6 ply) I could not notice a difference in flex, and, heres the best bit, when i weighed it it was 210 grams lighter!!!! I plan to test this idea further, but if it works properly, would you guys be interested in it for this build?
can u draw up wat u hav in mind atm so we can hav a better idea of it...?

Jezza said:
okay then, reading back through the old posts + the new ones, seems W cave does pop up a few times, as does rocker... so

10 to 12.5mm flatcave at front
10 to 12.5mm flat-wavecave (4 to 5mm peak on the W) in the rear, so if the board is symetrical you can have the flatcave at the front for pushing and freeriding, and at the back for bombing

@dylan that board is trippy!!!!!! cool concept, though seems pretty labour intensive. What i was thinking is making the press quite long, so that the 'risers' can be cut with the same concave as to fit the board exactly, which makes them removable aswell

Jezza said:
okay the votes are in..

no camber or rocker

anyone got any serious problems with this setup. Shall voting continue?? Doesn't seem all that revolutionary. I was hoping for something like Robbos pic.....

I used my usual 6 ply (which suits my weight), though on the middle two layers I cut loads of holes all over the piece, stopping about an inch in on all sides from where I wanted to cut the deck. The holes were just randomly placed, just as an experimental sort of thing, well i just finished cutting out the deck, stood it on some wood and jumped on it. Compared to all my other decks (also 6 ply) I could not notice a difference in flex, and, heres the best bit, when i weighed it it was 210 grams lighter!!!! I plan to test this idea further, but if it works properly, would you guys be interested in it for this build?
The hollow core is a great idea, for it to work well the holes need to be placed evenly though, and all the marking out and cutting will be very labour intensive, I think it could be a great option for those who don't mind pAying the extra for it though.

Jezza said:
okay then, reading back through the old posts + the new ones, seems W cave does pop up a few times, as does rocker... so 10 to 12.5mm flatcave at front

Jezza said:
okay the votes are in..

no camber or rocker

routed rails like on the Kracked skulls decks and on the earthwing super model would be sick too, just to add some tortional flex and give you something to hold onto
hahahaha, wait a month or two of slashing and those holes in the deck may not seem so good........:) just my educated guess........
Thats what I'm testing right now, though I'm a little short on time...
the lateral flex doesn't seem to be affected though it does seem to have a little more torsional give. Nothing a bit of glass cant fix.

anyone up to be a beta tester?

Matthys van lille said:
hahahaha, wait a month or two of slashing and those holes in the deck may not seem so good........:) just my educated guess........
yer im not so in2 the holes either...

Matthys van lille said:
jezza ill test for you if you want, i mostly do freeriding with a few friends, just pendy's, standups and fun stuff like that.

readd the holesom blog, it might give you some ideas about holes and stuff
yeah mate, i can test her, i got alot of spare time to ride, (not as many uni commitments and currently un-employed) i can also pass it around to varying riders in melbourne to have a slash. I tend to ride litterly anything.
board sounds dope dude! where are you thinking of centering the rocker? at the front to create a front foot pocket? or in the middle so its sorta fsm-esque?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Search

© 2024   Created by Bugs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service