ASRA - Australian Skateboard Racing Association

Quick Question,

Will using Low Odour Turps (100% LIQUID HYDROCARBONS UN 1993) be an effective cleaning agent when trying to clean my bearings, or do I need to go out and buy some acetone.

Tags: Bearings, Clean, Turpentine

Views: 6481

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

sweet ill get to work making the bottles then and even though it doesnt say im pretty sure its not petrolium based cause that would be killing my trombone and its valve....
thanks for the help!

Jezza said:
I fill it up to the bottom of the last bearing, so that they are all out of the liquid unless I invert it, that way you can let the majority of the fluid drain off before opening the bottle. I have one bottle for detergent and one for metho, but use the same cap. You can also reuse the metho many times, so long as you cap it.

valve oil is fine, so long as its synthetic (dont want petrolium based oils spinning out onto your wheels), it should say on the bottle. I like boat trailer grease (hard to find a synthetic one though) as it seems to waterproof the bearing, and last longer than the bearing.
thanks fitz ill remember to rinse it between the clean and the rinse
thanks again

Fitz said:
Very important to wrinse under hot water between wash and metho bottles. This saves the metho from becoming contaminated. A tiny amount of water in the metho is ok. You don't have to take the bearings off the bolt either.

I filter the metho after every use aswell to keep it clean and ready for next time.
use poo instead
Im sorry...but......WTF????

leighgriffiths said:
use poo instead
I find green poo spins faster than brown poo though

leighgriffiths said:
use poo instead
I use the Rockin Rons approach posted a few pages back. Kero 1st in home made bottle n bolt, kero filtered w coffee filter and re-used. Then isoprophyl alcohol, hairdryer, lube time.
I Used to play the trumpet, and from what i remember of valve lube, i would be very carefull. I dont think it will last long and or lubricate sufficiently, but give it a shot, just keep an eye on how warm they get.

Boris said:
also could i use valve oil for trumpet valves cause iv got some laying around that i could use and its very runny
If you're cleaning with organic solvents (turps, kero etc) make damn sure you remove the bearing cage (the bit that holds the balls in place) if it's a removable plastic one. That should be cleaned with something far less aggressive.
I used to clean with turps but you tend to get the grease coming out of solution and leaving a film as it dries. I think Fitz's suggestion of hot detergent followed by metho is one of the better methods and you shouldn't need to remove the race. Machine oil or WD40 just tends to loosen up the dirt and cause it to move into the bearing race.
I've been cleaning skate bearings for 20 years but never really found an ideal method - what you really need is soaking time whatever solvent you go with.
Also, get a proper bearing grease or speed oil from a skate shop. Don't stuff around with machine oil, car grease, trumpet lube, "personal" lubricant or anything else..... None of these are designed for skate bearings.
get singer sewing machine oil, Ado swears it is the same as bones speed cream, and its like 3-4 bucks for 70-100 ml. Anyone else use it.

Dave R said:
If you're cleaning with organic solvents (turps, kero etc) make damn sure you remove the bearing cage (the bit that holds the balls in place) if it's a removable plastic one. That should be cleaned with something far less aggressive.
I used to clean with turps but you tend to get the grease coming out of solution and leaving a film as it dries. I think Fitz's suggestion of hot detergent followed by metho is one of the better methods and you shouldn't need to remove the race. Machine oil or WD40 just tends to loosen up the dirt and cause it to move into the bearing race.
I've been cleaning skate bearings for 20 years but never really found an ideal method - what you really need is soaking time whatever solvent you go with.
Also, get a proper bearing grease or speed oil from a skate shop. Don't stuff around with machine oil, car grease, trumpet lube, "personal" lubricant or anything else..... None of these are designed for skate bearings.
yeah im not gona use the valve oil anymore but using sewing machine oil does make sense considering its made for spinning parts that heat up....and theres a spotlight right by my house....
you can get it at woolies

Boris said:
yeah im not gona use the valve oil anymore but using sewing machine oil does make sense considering its made for spinning parts that heat up....and theres a spotlight right by my house....
Pleasure tools makes some great lube and its dirt cheap.
http://www.edsbearings.com/

they also do good bearings and an apparently good cleaning product

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Search

© 2024   Created by Bugs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service