ASRA - Australian Skateboard Racing Association

This is not a thread about a longboard park that is on the way, but about making one happen.

Did you know Australia has a claim to the World's first skateboard park? Many claim to be the first, usually the argument centres on two parks in the USA, California Skateboard City and Carlsbad Park. There was a skatepark created and skated in Albany Western Australia in 1975 (maybe early '76). In fact it still exists, and gets skated every day. So it would definitely have the be the oldest skatepark still in use, and probably was Australia's first skatepark.
Have a quick read of the history of Albany skatepark, and how it was created.

What's this all got to do with Australia's first longboard park?
I read that story, and thought these kids managed to organise themselves to build one of the world's first skateboard parks.
Longboarders number in the tens of thousands in Australia and we still do not have a park designed and built specifically for longboarding. Skate parks do not get created in Australia by some big skateboard association. We can not expect ASRA one day to announce they will build a park. Skateparks get built because skaters of all ages get together and fight old people in council meetings. They hassle the government so much they give in or at least listen.

So I am starting a discussion. The idea is to discuss making Australia's first longboard park or
roads specifically for longboarding. Lets talk about design, size, purpose, lobbying and funding.

Something like this can only be done if a group get together and make it happen.
Maybe we can create a framework/document, to help longboarders all over Australia to approach their local government to get something built in their area.

Views: 7217

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

like I said IT IS ON THE WAY WE HAVE THE PLANS AND PRICING...including land the whole thing comes in at just under 2.3 million it will be privately funded as was our original plan made in 2007 the business plan is being offered for first refusal to a company we have been speaking to for 3 years on the back of their decision and full or part funding further copies may be released to secure further funding after this date.
By all means if anyone else wants to get up and get busy the more of these we have the better, with research carried out across Europe we are looking at 27% of visiotrs being internationals in the first year.
For those in business you will appreciate the tourism grants this opens up.

Jezza said:
yeah, the actual load bearing material (underlay materials) would cost less, however the road cutting (assuming its on the side of a hill) would outweigh this, as would the cost of the land, hell, even the land tax would would cost in the tens of thousands of dollars if this thing was privately owned, cause you cant just buy a squiggly bit of land on the side of a hill.

nige said:
IF it was skate, bike specific you don't need any where near the earthworks(road base ,compaction,etc.) that a normal road needs, lowering the costs significantly.

Jezza said:
Problem with an asphalt 'road' is the price. As a general rule 1m of road (for 2 lanes along the road, not a square meter) will set you back 1-1.5 thousand dollars, depending on the work prior to laying (earthworks ect), more if you have to cut it into the side of a mountain or use smaller aggregate (to get that buttery smooth finish). I know it sounds a lot but its true, so an 800m section of track could foreseeably set you back a cool million. If you only want one lanes worth that would lower the price, but unless your Dan Mactaggart thats a lot of cash......
Fantastic!

What would you anticipate the construction period for this to be and/or when would it be fully operational? The timing is great and if others were to try for government support in other states for something similar, im sure this would be a great example of "what we're after" (a basic version by the sounds)

One other thing i thought of would be trying to work in conjunction with a car club so they could also use it as a hill climb, im sure sporting car clubs hold respected credibility within local government and combining the two associations could potentially be a plus.

Hank's Place Australia said:
For those that have ever spoken to us you will know this has been in the planning for a couple of years by us. We are now in possession of a business plan for 3 x 1km downhill road sections that intertwine so the route can be changed and will be suitable for street luge and downhill with varying degrees of difficulty, (have fielded the question of length already Newtons is 1.3km probably fun enough for practise especially when the route can be changed) an indoor temperature controlled skate park, mtb track accommodation blocks camping ground and ablution blocks along with a full sport therapy and physical rehabilitation clinic. We have also added in a little persons adventure playground, fishing lake (catch and release) and a few things for mum's and skate widows.
The whole thing will sit in around 30 acres which we are looking to purchase in the next financial year (before christmas 2010). I haven't been around much lately because putting this business plan together ready for release in August and planning our second clinic which opens in June in Surfers Paradise, prparing the Newton's 2010 package and planning the opening of a third clinic in Hervey Bay at Christmas has taken up a bit of time.....but it's on the way lads, it's on the way.
Looking forward to it happening Hank, btw got an edge knee brace, nice to be rolling again...thankyou for the in depth referral it made all the difference.
Duff said:
Fantastic!

What would you anticipate the construction period for this to be and/or when would it be fully operational? The timing is great and if others were to try for government support in other states for something similar, im sure this would be a great example of "what we're after" (a basic version by the sounds)

Once funding is in place the whole thing would take around 6 months to put together all very easy stuff, the road guys are in for ALL the groundwork and cutting in so that is one company doing that, the indoor skate park needs a concrete slab the 25X45 shed erected electrics and air conditioning and the park itself is wood and comes flat packed (I'm told it would take 4 untrained guys 5-6 days to put it together) good project management and one step at a time.
If those we are speaking to do what they say (usually the hard part) we could be up and running 100% august September 2011 blind faith blind faith blind faith

Yes plans will be publicly available in August and all we will ask is if someone wants to copy the whole thing please don't do it in the same state that will be financially very costly for everyone and benefit no one.

Arbi, just glad we could help, mate
hey arbi, i go to that school!!!!!!!

Arbi said:
Excellent to see this being discussed. A few years ago some local skaters (4122 crew) raised 15000 bucks and got the council to chuck in about 25000 towards a skate bowl. There was heaps of red tape and headaches at the time but the bowl is still there and gets alot of use to this day.
With economic incentive packages and cheap labour -the groms! - there is a chance of turning some of these ugly ditches around the burbs into crazy snake runs. It would involve working with park skaters, bmx etc etc for the numbers to get council to listen. (totally agree Robbo)
Or working with the lycra mob to get Mt Gravatt blocked off to traffic for an hour in the morning (it's gated overnight anyway). The risk assesment for Mt G isn't good though and most Downhillers wouldn't think it's fast enough to bother with all the hassle...
Also there are grants available and elections approaching which is a good time to get promises in writing... I will be up at the God Bowl 422? Wecker rd Mansfield Tues night 4/5 7:30 pm if anyone wants to chat about this stuff, seems to be a few motivated local longboarders. There's also tons of scrubby steep bushland off the back of the gateway motorway and the old abandoned boral quarry. hmmm Arbi 0401058637
i just seen albany skatepark on GO! on Leyland brothers, they said the school kids from the area raised $3000 and the council was so impressed they donated $10000 and the land for it. and kids got tought how to fall to stop injuries.
i think if ASRA's loyal members all got on board.. we could get something sweet together even if it ain't a skatepark then what about maybe a longer "some type of another pumpstation road"?

either would be sweet, we could just get some one to design a sweet road, with corners and hairpins and fast.
just my 2 cents
-ian
"The idea is to discuss making Australia's first longboard park or
roads specifically for longboarding. Lets talk about design, size, purpose, lobbying and funding"

My Two Cents...

We need to work out what we want and where. For example a 5-800m run in the City would be pretty cool, but the further out of town you go the longer and more challenging it would need to be to attract riders and events.

I think the best set up would be A National/State Committee that can compile and coordinate support and relevant documentation to sub-committees, that focus on individual projects, for example, I've been working on a document for a downhill run on Mount Steele in Moore Park, and would be happy to drive that project but the thought of also drumming up support via ASRA, NSAA, SDS, Skater HQ, even City Beach and other Sector 9 outlets etc and all the Independents and promoters like 7 Ten Split Productions, is an additional headache.

The Committee should ideally be able to assist and provide info on;
- (Potential) Committee Structure / Resources / Networks
- Cost Estimates
- Information Sheet (overview, who would use, financial/ social benefits etc)

Presumably there are already a bunch of people trying to get parks all over the place, especially in Sydney. if we were able to get every skater in Sydney to support a downhill park, this would help considerably. ASRA in return should encourage its members to jump on board the petitioning of smaller parks as well...

Regarding Mount Steele, it has the potential to have a 500m long run in the space that's there atm or an even longer run if the football/ cricket pitches can be relocated and a massive street park could even be included ,) Given it's proximity to the city and it's sandy ground (perfect base for bitumen) could be the most cost effective spot just a few k's from the city centre) It also has parking and amenities...

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geo...

pics
http://flickr.com/gp/ablekay47/gga5V7
Hey Matthys, I got it wrong before, the skaters raised the cash and then the church paid the rest. There was no council involvement.
ye, thats why its called the godbowl eh, pretty sweet church dont ya recon
im in on the official letter, id just get it on my dads name
A dedicated av set up would be awsome , static cameras would be all you would need , cameras can be auto switched , veiwing screens in the waitng area / pro shop , option of buying the vision post run , farliy cheap to set up , and plenty of in camera advert potential , stream the bastard and bobs your uncle , I'd be keen to work with whoever where ever on this side of things , oh and by the way the half hour program we did for bigpond should be up on bigpond sport within the next week or so ( sorry to
go off topic just I'll post more info when I get my shit together )

Later

Benny
hey guys all the ideas sound sick but, on one point you all seem to assume something, that the government/council will do stuff to stop you and you have to make them 'give in'. if you look at them as an adversary they probably will be. This may amaze some of you but government and council people dont exist solely to get votes, they try to help the community, it looks good for them, and thats why they go for the job in the first place, they think they can help. So look to them as a potential ally and establish good relations. dont jump straight in to your official letter campaign, Try going down to your local councillor and talking to them, if they say 'get fucked', then bombard them with letters and petitions all you like.

Im just sayin dont assume they arent on your side in this. They are the people who build the majority of skateparks anyway.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Search

© 2024   Created by Bugs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service