ASRA - Australian Skateboard Racing Association

V2 of my speedboard design.

Me and Pete pressed up a deck a couple of weekends ago and pulled it out of the press the next day and there was a bit of an issue. The resin hadn't cured correctly on the bottom of the board. The top and in between all of the bamboo was fine, but the bottom was still soft days after we pulled it out of the press. it was very close to being binned, but then i thought, bugger it, i dont want to waste the money and materials, so i got to salvaging. i removed the bottom layer of glass and resin using some pliers to peel it off, gave the deck a quick sand and it was ready for the carbon. i was originally just going to go for stringers, but thought, why the hell not, and went all out. the carbon was laid up by hand, no vac bagging on this one. there are a couple of blemishes as you may be able to see in the photos. i know what caused these now, so next one should be perfect. it was my first try using carbon, so im really happy with how it turned out. Ill post up the process i used to lay it up in another thread!

Below is the result. This board is smaller than the original, as after testing the first one it felt to be a little too large. this deck is shorter, and skinnier than the original, but fees great! when riding it i feel more precise as everything is closer together, and having the carbon on the bottom, it is even a little stiffer than the original

I will hopefully have another one churned out in a few weeks, so if anyone is interested in one, drop me a line and we can organise something!

also, i dont have a name for this deck yet, so if anyone has any ideas, throw them out there!

Cheers, Ash.

Views: 183

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

super secret squirrel business it is.... ;)
everyone keeps asking, and i still dont have an answer :P pete has been organising all the wood, so im not actually sure where he has been getting it from. as soon as i know ill let you all know. its from a place down ballina / byron bay way.
http://www.bambooply.com.au

http://www.houseofbamboo.com.au/bamboo_ply.html (these guys have 1to7mm but I'm not sure it's the right type)
heres a couple of shots from saturday. theyre not the best quality (sorry!!) i really have to figure out this camera, its really not taking the sort of shots it should be. these kind of show the idea of "wings" at the back. when taking a toeside corner, i tip my foot over the side of the board for more or less traction, and the wings stop your foot sliding back off the board. ill get some better shots this weekend, but this gives the basic idea.

the photographer needs to get a bit closer and lower i think. what kind of camera is it? cos they are very grainy. try and take the photos when there is plenty of light, to help eliminate that. but it looks light theres enough light in that 2nd photo, so i'm not sure why its so dark and grainy.
the light was starting to dissapear, it was gettin on in the afternoon, but even in broad daylight, they photos arent as crisp as they should be. its an olympus something. 8mp, point and shoot type deal, but you can change a few things with it. im really not impressed with the quality i can get from it. i can get better photos with my 5 year old 3mp sony cybershot, lol.
Spent the afternoon sessioning corners on my new drop-through Glyde deck. Felt so nice and solid underfoot - stiffer than my Kebbek Flushcut, and wider under the feet, and with more concave, but still enough of a flat section in the middle for easy pushing and foot-braking. Pete and Ash - you guys really put some thought into this design, and then the finish on them is beautiful.
yes i got to say the same thing here bugs taking corners fills so good on the glydes, on my landy drop wedge my back foot would slip off because of how skinny it gets at back of the board but not anymore with the glyde.
i still want one ash..nice

its good to see that everyone is stoked with their boards. Well its only gonna get better, without giving two much away here is the form for possibly? the first aussie designed and built lowered speedboard?
specs: 32 inch wheelbase 10 inch wide platform deep concave with six inch flat section in the middle, de-wedged eight degrees at the rear and six degrees positive at the front platform lowered two inches
good work guys. thats sure to be a hit here in oz.
pete hill said:
...de-wedged eight degrees at the rear and six degrees positive at the front...

I reckon those angles will be better than the 15+/15- of the Evo. Should work well with all the 40-45 deg precision trucks out there.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Search

© 2024   Created by Bugs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service