ASRA - Australian Skateboard Racing Association

Gday folks,Just looking at setting up a new board,ive only ridden top mounts and im not looking at breaking any speed records nothing over 30 to 40 kays. Im looking at more of a carving style general purpose set up.

My thoughts were maybe a Kebbek Hairpin,Holeys or maybe Grizzlys and pink or lime BigZigs.
Im 6ft3 85kgs size 11 feet.

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers Tim

Views: 50

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i would say yes to the hairpin, but due to its short length and intense concave it doesn't suit tall people with big feet.
i rekon go for the avenger. it has such a wicked concave and really locks your feet in and is great for cruising around on. also when you wanna lay down some serious carves it will really grip and lock in, even when your going fast. match it up with grizzlys and either lime bigzigz or orangatans... seeing as you already ride topmounts you will feel right at home with this setup. also when you feel more confident on it you can use it as your downhill board, it is way more than capable...

and the best thing about it is it has a small hole in the tail so you can drag it back up hills!
dont get a speedboard if its 40kmh.. get something flexier
It does depend on the balance of riding that you'll be doing, whether it will be more speedboarding or carving. I think a demonseed would suit you well. Its a great board for larger people. Low and not too heavy so it makes a great commuter and as far as I'm concerned with some nice bushings it makes a great carver. It is a speedboard so it really depends on how much speedboarding you want to do.

Its also really easy to footbrake on... A great thing for a beginner going fast :D.

Your best bet would probably go to Hopkin Racing, Cre8tive Sk8 or meet up with some people to try some different decks.
Seems like a lot of people are sold to Rayne here, so I'm gonna say get a Kebbek board! The Revenger (Kebbek) will do just as much as an Avenger (Rayne), and even more haha.
Here is a pic of the Revenger with the new graph (left) and the old graph (right)

The deck is wide and long, so no problems with your shoe size and height, you'll be ok for sure. And depending how you set it up, it can be a serious speed carving machine. The concave is crazy: flat in the middle and super agressive on the side (Flatkave). As for the wheels, be aware the Pinkies got a serious tendency to chip.

I would say, check out the Fullbag Speedcarver. I rode that board this weekend, it was so much fun!! Long and fat as well http://www.fullbagskates.com

thats it. the fullbag has everything that would fit your specs. i probably wouldn't recommend a drop down deck cos it makes riding in the city a bit restricted (going off curbs) and you probably don't want another top mount. so you have ur answer, the Fullbag Speedcarver. and what an awesome board it is.
....drop wedge?

and if your feeling the need for (later) speed...the drop speed? just my thoughts.

oh and the JimZ flush universal. a very nice board that....
I have a Hairpin and like it as a carving board, I use holeys on it and 77mm speedvents, I also have a chinook, but have this set up as more a speed carver, really liking the droppeded deck feel.

I put a small loop of cord in the drop through to stick my finger through for towing in back up the hill
no, the hairpins concave is nothing like the evo. It almost has no flat surface, just concave if you know what i mean. would take a while for even a smaller person to get used to, let alone a person with size 11 feet.
Kebbek concaves are different depending on the board (definitely different from the Evo)
Flushcut is Flatkave.
Revenger is Flatkave (different than the Flushcut though).
Hairpin/Switchback have a crazy "all" concave.
Comishin/JFBoily got an "all concave" (different from the Hairpin/Switchback).
Smoothcut has a progressive concave (flat at the back).

Would not recommend a Flushcut for someone who is 6'3, the Flushcut riding platform is short; usually tall people don't like it. And the board is not really "turny" either, with 0° on each side. The guys wanna carve, not bomb hills at 80kms (not yet ;)

No need for double lacker. It is a skateboard, it WILL get scratched and banged up. Bamboo is softer for sure, but all decks end up scratched if you ride them hard anwyay.
Quidjam said:
No need for double lacker. It is a skateboard, it WILL get scratched and banged up. Bamboo is softer for sure, but all decks end up scratched if you ride them hard anwyay.

that is so true... i got a demonseed deelite from rayne and when i figured out it was way more fun thrashing it round than racing on i was a bit nervous at first throwing it off gutters and scratching up the carbon fiber... then i realised: its a skateboard, its designed to get thrashed...
now its not only one of my most expensive boards in the quiver but also one of the most scratched and dinged up... but its still in good nick and i love riding it!
the more scratches the more "love" your board gets =)
a double kick board or a pool deck at $80 a deck and ridden at 25km/h is made to be smashed, a carbon fiber board at $250 and ridden at 90km/h is not. Smash a bit of epoxy resin or carbon on an already thin board and you got a weak spot, that weak spot may show up at 90km/h.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Search

© 2024   Created by Bugs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service