ASRA - Australian Skateboard Racing Association

Ok, you probably have a post somewhere in the archives about this already. But what the heck.
You are cruising down a hill doing probably 40km + and a car pulls out in front of you and you have to stop fast! What is the bast way. I have come from the old school when we had stalling blocks on short boards. I learn't on a Surfer Sam back in the early 70's.

Views: 1709

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

learn to shut down slide
Soft wheel sliding
lookup coleman slide or pendulum (pendy) slide on youtube.
Actually at 40ks you shouldn't have too much trouble footbreaking and/or carving off speed. Def learn to at least shutdown slide though, not as hard as it looks, much easier to learn if someone shows you in person.
Been trying to do shutdown slides, but can't get the hang of them. I have no problem carving off speed. Am learning to foot break also, but also struggling. Not enough time to practice. I am staying on deserted roads and safe downhill to max 60km until I get better at stoping.

Tom said:
Actually at 40ks you shouldn't have too much trouble footbreaking and/or carving off speed. Def learn to at least shutdown slide though, not as hard as it looks, much easier to learn if someone shows you in person.
Learn to footbreak, it will save your life.
+1

Gabe said:
Sometimes all it takes is good defensive riding and just ride around the problem. Never ride with earphones blarring in your ears so you can hear your surrounds. Have a constant knowledge of your surrounds esp traffic.

Shutdown slides are never something you should need to think about before you wanna do one. I just happens without thinking.
Even when they're done badly, it works. You might just take off some bark.

We do have an extensive list of how-to's on our forum but I've found it difficult of late to find important posts amongst the endless banter.
in that situation i would definitely footbrake. with the exception of standup slides (something not many people would be able/confident to do in this scenario), footbraking is a far quicker option than a shutdown slide. but it all comes down to how good you are with your footbraking. thats why you gotta learn and practice before you come across this situation.

however if you know the hill and you use a "longboarders observation and awareness", you shouldn't have to resort to a shutdown slide or footbrake like that.
PCTFB

Gabe said:
Ahahaha Punch Cunts That Footbrake?

kamakazy said:
PCTFB

Gabe said:
Thanks for all the replies. Practice more it is.
Any shoes better for footbreaking?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Search

© 2024   Created by Bugs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service