ASRA - Australian Skateboard Racing Association

I'm no serious skater so I don't think I need to take the time/money/effort to stick tyres to the bottom of my shoes. the only problem is that my skate shoes are getting trashed by footbraking. I'd like to know what kind of shoes or whatever people use because using skate shoes seems too expensive and mine are wearing through. I was thinking of getting some random second hand ones from a salvos branch or something...

Views: 211

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I actually used light commercial vehicle retread rubber. Its app 13mm thick with a trread depth of app 10mm.
Tyre retreading rubber is just the tread of a tyre, there's no ply's/belts just rubber.
This is then bonded onto a tyre casing to make a "retread" tyre.
or
contact adhesived onto a shoe sole for a long wearin foot brakin.

leigh,
when you implied its too thick, did you think it was more than 13mm or do you think 13mm too much?
how thicks the tyre your using? is it bald/well used? do you use the tread area or sidewall?
what kind of glue do you guys use to stick the rubber onto the sole?
13mm on top of the shoe's sole is too thick for standup. when i first put mine on they were about 7 or 8mm thick. what you do, is you use your stanley knife to slice down to the wires of the tyre and cut a rectangle big enough to cover your shoe. then you use pliers to grasp at the corner of the rectangle and peel that layer off from the wires. you'll probably have to use your knife to help separate the tyre from the wires, but its not too difficult and the results are perfect.

Gilbert - i used "Shoe Goo" and i haven't had any problems whatsoever with parts peeling off.
Gilbert said:
Quick Grip
my clark rubber sells the stuff robbo is talking about in 6 inch wide"tape like" strips wide enough for a shoe for about $8 a metre from memory
Clark rubber sounds like the go, thanks for all the advice.
whats the go as far as glue goes? just normal super glue?
Robbo said:
Gilbert said:
Quick Grip
low?as long as leathers cover your ankles,.not sure on igsa rules governing shoes,think you can use anything aslong as skin is covered with shoe or leather......!?wouldnt you keep your shoes for future sessions sean?
Hey, this post is old...BUT!
I have some shoes with neoprene rubber on the bottom (had em for a while now). And as Robbo said (like 1 year ago :P) I need some tread in them, coz they don't grip well at all. I don't have any power tools...or at least I don't think I do, so what are some good ways of getting tread into them easily?

Cheers.

just go door knocking around your neighbourhood for someone with a grinder or a router, or just hire one from a hardware shop. or ask your friends if they have one

connor i think he might of done that by now since it is over a year and a half ago ...

Connor Ferguson said:

just go door knocking around your neighbourhood for someone with a grinder or a router, or just hire one from a hardware shop. or ask your friends if they have one

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Search

© 2024   Created by Bugs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service