ASRA - Australian Skateboard Racing Association

Again same project, I need information on injuries that have been sustained and shit...brain damage, broken arms, hospital trips that sort of thing...what happened, how old were you, were you wearing gear?

Views: 296

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I shattered my wrist while skating a park when I was 27. I was wearing a helmet and wrist guards. Had to wait 4 days for surgery. I still have a plate and a heap of screws in there.

My mate now has a permanent claw from skating with a beer bottle in his hand.

I was 7 bombing on an oldschol skateboard (Gullwing Pro)      hit a branch got thrown over the front, broke my collar bone in 2 places, my face scraped along the ground and my bottom gum was torn from the bottom of my mouth, broken nose, severe concussion,     1 month in hospital, No protective gear.....

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1389531838899&set=a.1322... hopfully the image came up 

i was practicing colemans when i first started i didnt revert and hit the metal part of the gutter i had a tetnus shot the next morning i was wearing helmet and gloves 

Wife is not impressed....Amen to that brotha. Mine didn't even visit me in the hospital, and i was in there 10 days.

Richard Cooke said:

3 weeks ago I was practicing  slides out front of my house like I do regularly in the evening and got flung off the other side of my board on a toeslide slide. Have done it many, many times before but this time thrown forward and landed straight on my tailbone (coccyx). Had padded shorts under my jeans, helmet gloves etc. Felt like my tailbone was on fire still 24 hrs later. Shoulder also started playing up next morning and still cannot sit properly and use my right arm with any strength. 49 years old and healing slowly. Wife is not impressed!
Bombing down Catharaborough road in Gympie, hitting around 60, truck speeds up behind me. I know.... I should have been keeping up with traffic. Scared the shit outta me, by rolling up 5m behind me, Slamming on the horn. I carved off into a dead lane. Tried to footbrake, unsuccessfully. Truck beside me, I attempted to stop the board on grass going about 40-50km.
I flew off the board, clipping my toes on a power-pole. Felt like they were sprained, didn't go to hospital.

Car towing into hillclimb. My wheel hit a little bit of wood or something right at the top of hillclimb, the bit before the yellow posts. Fell off my board, took out robbie in the process.
My head missed the car tyre by about 1 inch, robbie was clear from it.
Myself and him turtled on our backs and rolled for about 10m. He got out with a few little gravel rashes. I came out with a gravel rash about 2 inches by 2, on my shoulder. One the size of a GoPro, on my elbow and one on my left upper leg, the size of perhaps half an A4 sheet of paper. Bitumen in it and all.
Went to see the GP at the hospital for antibiotics if that counted?
Dude, that truck driver was just a dick.  I've had cars do that many times, they even do it when I'm going above the speed limit.  How fast was the speed limit on that road?

I crashed yesterday and i just came back from hospital. was going down The BIG DIPPER in Nambucca and right at the bottom a car pulled out in front of me and to late to stop baled onto the grass beside the road and rolled into a power pole. have had heaps of tests an xrays but nothing broken just a massive ass bruise on my hip. no skating for 2 weeks it fuckn sucks   

1) practicing toeside pendys - got highsided and smashed head on ground + huge gravel rash on hip and thigh

2) first heelside pendy - fell off and heavily grazed both knees as well as chest and stomach

3) hit a ping pong ball sized rock while going 40 ish kph - got thrown off and badly jarred both wrists

4) attempting first switch heelside 180 stand up slide and my board poo shoots - slam on elbow and hip (big swellbow), also sprained ankle and had to have it in taped for a few weeks

thats about it...i was wearing a helmet and gloves in all of these injuries

Broke my hip years ago bombing at night, countless concusssions, hippers, tweaked ankles, wiplash (from crashing in races) smashed helmets, broken fingers, stitches in my chin, perma-scars on my elbows and knees, road rashed my entire back once (dont bomb in the nude kids...)

The list goes on.

most recently, Bombing Hayward with Leigh Dani and the Willunga mob, sketched out in the bottom section- bailed, hit a guard rail at approx 65kmh, broke 5 vertabrae, 2 ribs, punctured my right lung, gash on the ankle, broke my shoulder blade in to three peices, suffered internal bleeding, was plugged into an I.V morphine machine, tubes up my nose, tubes in both arms, so many injections each day I was in the trauma unit I lost count (the anti blood clot ones hurt like fuck). I was wearing pads, gloves and a full face.

I dont think it makes any difference what saftey gear you wear really, its damage limitation, not prevention. I didnt hit my head during the hayward crash, but If I did I would have been fine. Nothing would have prevented the injuries I sustained except maybe a full body airbag....

got stung by a bee putting my gloves on.....so gnar.

also got a bug in my eye once,now i always wear a fullface.

hit a brush turkey at like 30,

i was fine, but the turkey ran sideways into a tree afterwards...

shit benbro, r u ok?!?!? hahha

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Search

© 2024   Created by Bugs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service