ASRA - Australian Skateboard Racing Association

I'm not going to buy new wheels for my setup which I am buying, so I will have a bit of extra money. Do you think it is worth buying Bear 1052s instead of Randals and dishing out the extra $50?

Also, with the bears, can you flip the hangar and change the amount it is wedged?

Views: 24

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I’m not trying to start an argument or anything but this what I have experienced;
The first board I owned was a Dervish which had 180 randal’s, I started doing light DH on a local run and use to just tighten the trucks right up. I go use to this board for light DH and had taken it on the middle section of eagle. I then got some red venom DH bushings for the Omni but put them on the dervish for a test run down eagle and got really bad twitches down eagle. My brother had the same problem with his butt board when he put red DH venom’s on his butt board he got crazy wobbles even with them tighten right down.

But saying this I’ve just setup my Omni which has Gullwing bombers for free riding, with venom red (90a) bottom and reflex green (74a) top on front and venom red (90a) bottom and reflex pink (77a)on the back. This is one sweet setup and is sick for stand up 180’s and stand up 4 wheel power slides. But when I took this setup up to speed, still with lose trucks it was surprisingly stable. Even my brother commented on how stable it was even though before the run he was saying “I’m going to get massive wobbles with this setup” when riding on the flats. But after the DH run he was like “fuck me that is stable a speed”.

That’s my 2 cents.
yeah mark the thing is, the randal bushings are hell hard, but have little rebound. baisically they are shit lol. they are tight until you start turning hard, so at speeds under like 60-70ks they do the job if its a basic run, like eagle. but if you start pushing them on a more technical run, they will twitch like fuck. venoms are soft but have the rebound to keep you stable, i found that on my drop thru the reds were way too soft, but leigh rides reds on his evo cos of the dewedge. now im on the green venoms which are tightened down so that its hell stable but can also turn!!
Well I only weigh around 55-60kg so soft is good I think.

From what everyone is saying, I should go with 42* Randals (flipped), with equal venom DH front and back. Harder one (eg 90a orange) on the bottom, and softer one (eg 85a yellow) on the top. (BTW, the soft one goes on the side closer to where you tighten the kingpin right?)

Thanks for all your help.
I'm sorry to post something completely irrelevant, but I've just thought of it and I'm interested.

say i have a board with 15 degree wedge on either end, so the board was symmetrical, if i took a 35 degree baseplate and put it on the front and put a 50 on the back, would it be exactly the same as having a 50 degree front and 35 degree back on a board without wedging?

or does wedging give it a different feel or something?
top bushing is the one closest to the ground, bottom bushing is the one closest to the baseplate..

also with the randal bushings, were you running the old ones or the new ones? The older ones were good for going faster when tightened up but as Bow said they have zero rebound and really restrict your turning when tightened up. The new ones are pretty damn good for carving and are also good for DH, they have good rebound and good stability (i know browen went down Guthega at 92k's on stock 50* randals with the stock red bushings and was solid) but there are better quality bushings out there, you just need to find ones that suit you. The thing with venoms is you can squash those fuckers down tight until they are oval shaped pretty much and you will still have 100% turning radius.

Remember some people like stiff rides some people like to ride janky loose stuff. It all comes down to personal preference on how soft/hard tight/loose you ride your trucks but the bushings you put in them do change the characteristics of the trucks, it just depends if you like certain characteristics compared to others.

Jonty, it sounds like your getting a good setup, give that one a go. Sound perfect to taking up to those higher speeds for the first time, 42deg is a great all around angle for learning how to go fast and control speeds but still able to thrash your board around. Play with the venoms for a while and really figure out their characteristics and as time goes on slowly start to loosen your board up and it will teach your legs to be more stable and in control, and will help your cornering skills by being able to fight twitches and dive into inside lines. Having a board you feel comfortable on for freeriding and doing DH on is one very important thing, because you will learn how to control your speeds through freeriding and you can transfer those skills onto those bigger faster hills. If you get a hellcat you will be in heaven with that setup...
Dale said:
I'm sorry to post something completely irrelevant, but I've just thought of it and I'm interested.

say i have a board with 15 degree wedge on either end, so the board was symmetrical, if i took a 35 degree baseplate and put it on the front and put a 50 on the back, would it be exactly the same as having a 50 degree front and 35 degree back on a board without wedging?

or does wedging give it a different feel or something?

if you have a 35 degree baseplate at the front, and 50 at the back, you would fall off...

i think you need to rephrase that question
OK, what i mean is. Does wedging have exactly the same effect on the turning radius as just getting a higher degree baseplate.

using another example, would a board like...the ceviche (something with zero wedging in the board) have the same turning circle with 15 degrees worth of wedge and a 35 degree baseplate as a ceviche with no wedging and a 50 degree baseplate, assuming everything apart from that is identical between the two boards?
in goemetry you would have the same turning angle, yes.

The factors that would affect the ride of the board are the risers and what sort of baseplate you use. Once you put a wedge riser the board becomes higher than running just a normal 50 deg baseplate. also the 35 deg randal baseplates are for DH so they are designed a little differently than the standard baseplates, they shorten the wheelbase by just a little bit.

so to answer your question, the geometry would be the same yes, but the feel you would get would be slightly different and a little bit shit in my opinion. Its worth a try though
thanks Jacko, I wasn't planning on trying it, I was just curious about the effects of wedging trucks and such.

Thanks =D

Jacko said:
in goemetry you would have the same turning angle, yes.

The factors that would affect the ride of the board are the risers and what sort of baseplate you use. Once you put a wedge riser the board becomes higher than running just a normal 50 deg baseplate. also the 35 deg randal baseplates are for DH so they are designed a little differently than the standard baseplates, they shorten the wheelbase by just a little bit.

so to answer your question, the geometry would be the same yes, but the feel you would get would be slightly different and a little bit shit in my opinion. Its worth a try though

courtesy of randal.
go with the bears, I ride the old style randals with the yellow bushing have them really loose for free riding and tightened them up for DH, but thats what I'm used to, I think you should get some trucks either will be good to start out with, try different bushings out and see what works for you.
Thanks for all the tips and ideas Jacko and everyone.

I reckon I will use the setup i said above (venom DH top bushing 85a yellow and bottom 90a orange) with 42* randals, unless someone can sell me some cheap bears.

thanks once again!

and yeh, i will be putting it on a hellcat, i already bought the deck from davie.

cheers once again.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Search

© 2024   Created by Bugs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service