ASRA - Australian Skateboard Racing Association

This is not a thread about a longboard park that is on the way, but about making one happen.

Did you know Australia has a claim to the World's first skateboard park? Many claim to be the first, usually the argument centres on two parks in the USA, California Skateboard City and Carlsbad Park. There was a skatepark created and skated in Albany Western Australia in 1975 (maybe early '76). In fact it still exists, and gets skated every day. So it would definitely have the be the oldest skatepark still in use, and probably was Australia's first skatepark.
Have a quick read of the history of Albany skatepark, and how it was created.

What's this all got to do with Australia's first longboard park?
I read that story, and thought these kids managed to organise themselves to build one of the world's first skateboard parks.
Longboarders number in the tens of thousands in Australia and we still do not have a park designed and built specifically for longboarding. Skate parks do not get created in Australia by some big skateboard association. We can not expect ASRA one day to announce they will build a park. Skateparks get built because skaters of all ages get together and fight old people in council meetings. They hassle the government so much they give in or at least listen.

So I am starting a discussion. The idea is to discuss making Australia's first longboard park or
roads specifically for longboarding. Lets talk about design, size, purpose, lobbying and funding.

Something like this can only be done if a group get together and make it happen.
Maybe we can create a framework/document, to help longboarders all over Australia to approach their local government to get something built in their area.

Views: 7217

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

John Fox Williamson said: There is the big push for more and more cycle ways around Sydney .... ???? A downhill section of track that could be designed for use by many 'gravitational downhill' pastimes as well as cyclists ????

my recent research turned up that current road rules apply to these new cycle ways and to the "vehicles" that use them, i.e. they have to be road worthy, including the need for brakes, bells etc. Also the green paint they use is sprayed over scattered granite beads (for grip) that slow us down considerably.

Bugs said: They also built one too, and I believe they're genuine about wanting to build more...

Waterloo? That was a refurb due to noise complaints by new residents over the old metal ramps. And agreed, I believe there is a will within Council and we need to get more organised and given the complaints they get over waterloo, the Moore Park site has a wealth of benefits if we can combine an Albany style downhill park with a massive flatland street plaza including an area for young kids on scooters etc big enough to hold events.

That corner block was given to the Centennial Park Trust by Council too ,)

John Fox Williamson said:Oh and I should mention that Sunday 30th May is another "car-free" day in Centennial Park.

How about we (all interested parties) get together for a skate on the 30th and have a lunchtime discussion with the intent of developing a plan we can move forward with. I'm happy to take notes and update all via email. I would like to focus on the Moore Park/ Mount Steele option, but there's no reason why we can't put a few more options on the table if there's enough interest and people to pursue the other options as well. in reference to my previous post, it might be a good opportunity to sort out the best structure to support multiple proposals if we go down that track.

If that's the case I'd be looking to ASRA and NSAA to bring local businesses (HopShop, 99 Degrees, Skater HQ, SDS etc) and the entire community (Schools/ Centennial Park Trust/ Council members) together in terms of numbers/support. For example there's almost no discussion/ support of the Sydney street/skate park proposals on the ASRA forums, not that this is a bad thing, we are just unnecessarily separated and (mostly) out of each others "loop" and conversely, if Sydney's street skaters supported the Mount Steele proposal we'd have 10 times the numbers...

This is why I like the Downhill/ Street/ (separate) Kiddies Scooter park option. without going on and on, with local School/ P&C support and door knocking the 10 000 units plus all the way to Green Square and with the above mentioned skate/business community, I think it's a decent option to work on a proposal.
That sounds like a really good idea. i would be happy to help.
the skate around the parliament sounds like an awesome idea which should most certainly follow through!
Alright so there's a neglected section of bike track behind the giant water tanks near Cav rd high school, it runs down towards Whites Hill sporting ground on a pretty good grade... What I need are some designs for this spot to take to council etc etc Arbi 0401058637
yeah josh marriage has been busy putting together idea's for this to happen and has been getting help from friends with all the legal stuff so we can approach the council with legitimate ideas. this saturday is going to be out brainstorm session.

Rad idea! I've dreamt of an amazing DH road with a ski lift down the bottom many times. Maybe the ski lift is a little too far, but the closed off DH road built for skaters makes sense.

One thing though is that laying down road is expensive, like $1,000,000 per km expensive. Thats just flat land stuff too. Once you start with switchbacks and retaining walls it gets way worse. Some serious fund raising would be necessary. Granted thats for vehicle roads which requires incredible amounts of suveying and excavation, but it gives you an idea how much. Something tells me that Council has better things to spend that money on.

Also a massive skate bowl in this Gnarnia of longborading would be incredible! If you havent dropped in with phat wheels and trucks bigger than your face then I suggest you do. So much fun!

Quick note: If you find a good site I might be able to get some topographic maps and draw up some basic proposal plans. I've got access to most council plans through work. I'll check out that bike track for you Arbi.

i have been thinking more and more about this, there are alot of crown land parks around which are heavily used by cycelists, kids in billycarts and things like that (i can think of a few near my house) which also have some good terrain to ride in the because of the paved downhill tracks, why not work around an existing piece of park land like that? there is already incline, government run land and the price to build what is effectivly a wide bike track is a fair bit less then a full blown road.

Just remembered the petition I was going to start for the conversion of a bike track to a skate park.  Wouldn't be much harder than making a good street skate park, the council already has the land and a track there and it could be multi-purpose!  Get your name on it and get the council listening!

http://www.skateboardracing.org.au/forum/topics/bike-track-to-longb...

faarrrk i was just talking to josh about this idea on sunday, after reading through this thread it really looks like this could happen
this was over a year ago tho

Joe O'Toole said:
faarrrk i was just talking to josh about this idea on sunday, after reading through this thread it really looks like this could happen
a year ago the sport wasn't booming, as the coolest leisure activity for school kids to take part in since yo ho diablo, positivity will get us far.... not negativity. We have got numbers now dude, and we have just gotten Gail Goodtime on board. She founded Queensland Skate Association, got approval for many skateparks around queensland, and Museum of Brisbane even had the Stoke exhibition not long ago. Gail featured in heaps of the video footage and images on display, that exhibition ran for months, and even got 2 extensions...

tommy said:
this was over a year ago tho

Joe O'Toole said:

norman park catchment 20.? mil for bike tracks and other stuff

K'rudds electorate

What's happened here? It's on the way yes? Where is this up to?

Someone (Hank's Place Australia) posts in this thread saying it's under development, and that it's coming... and people ignore it. I'm confused by this. Why are we not getting excited?..

Hank's Place Australia said:

For those that have ever spoken to us you will know this has been in the planning for a couple of years by us. We are now in possession of a business plan for 3 x 1km downhill road sections that intertwine so the route can be changed and will be suitable for street luge and downhill with varying degrees of difficulty, (have fielded the question of length already Newtons is 1.3km probably fun enough for practise especially when the route can be changed) an indoor temperature controlled skate park, mtb track accommodation blocks camping ground and ablution blocks along with a full sport therapy and physical rehabilitation clinic. We have also added in a little persons adventure playground, fishing lake (catch and release) and a few things for mum's and skate widows.
The whole thing will sit in around 30 acres which we are looking to purchase in the next financial year (before christmas 2010).
I haven't been around much lately because putting this business plan together ready for release in August and planning our second clinic which opens in June in Surfers Paradise, prparing the Newton's 2010 package and planning the opening of a third clinic in Hervey Bay at Christmas has taken up a bit of time.....but it's on the way lads, it's on the way.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Search

© 2024   Created by Bugs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service