ASRA - Australian Skateboard Racing Association

hey guess what, pie is now a NO-GO ZONE! yup thats right, you guys blew it!

BenBro, Gabe and myself were the first to skate that hill well over a year ago, and since then we have taken several crew to this hill. The first only time we have been hassled by coppers there was first time we ever skated it, mainly because we were there for at least 4 hours sessioning the shit out of it, and eventually a copper just happened to drive by. He was cool however, he was just doing his job and politely told us to move on, and that was after a 20 min conversation about downhill skateboarding and how interesting it was.

Luca and i went there yesterday and we didnt even get a chance to get our boards out of the car before a Policeman rocked up on his bike and went ape shit at us, told us he was going to fine us, take our boards, take our phones, take our cameras, take our licenses and throw us in jail. He was one angry copper. Now i know my rights and i know he can't take any of our stuff so to save argument we smiled, nodded and were on our merry way.

Now the thing that pisses me off, is how much of an asshole he was. He was such an asshole not because he was born that way, but because he told us he has gone through this same routine so many times lately, and has stopped more than 4 groups of skaters in the past month! None of the crew who actually skate that hill regularly have been there in a while due to other things like competitions (or injuries) and the first time we actually rock up to OUR LOCAL we get booted before a run... When you skate a road like Pie in the Sky, you need to be as fast as, if not FASTER than the traffic. The hill is not steep, which makes it good for beginners in some sense but then again it is a highway, and there is traffic. If you are slow, and look slow, and holding up traffic people get the shits and call the cops. When there is a group of 3-7 kids rolling down the hill slow as fuck it does not look good at all, and the first thing people do is call the cops.

The sydney boys and myself have been skating at this spot for a long time, and barely get hassled by anyone at all. When we ride, we ride fast, get in, get out and dont get caught. The only people that stop us are the people who are interested in what we are doing and are super stoked. Now that theres so many grommets stinking up the place it has become a hotspot for the police, and the hills is ruined.

So from now on, no one is to go to this hill. If you want to skate it, ask us and we might take you there. But for all those who are keen to start bombing hills and what not, dont just rock up to a highway and think all will be good, coz it wont, and your the sort of people who are ruining it for the rest of us.

Views: 187

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

It's true that every skater is responsible for their own actions, but when their actions affect others, it isn't just something you can ignore.

Groms can skate any old corner forever, I don't care, but if they start going to spots and making the rest of us look bad, then, there should be something done about it.  That's why the pros take only the guys that can handle it to the top of mad runs. The system has worked before, it should continue working.

Sure the vids make these spots attractive, but common sense is lacking in the heads of the guys who get these spots on the radar.

Tim got it in one...

One thing ive always told people... if you wanna skate our spots, we'll take you, all u have to do is ask. And there is a reason we call them "our" spots, if we didnt have to call them "our" spots this post would not exist

this is why i stopped sharing my roads with people and will never hold a event on them ever. Just go's to show you gotta keep your spots close to your chest
Agreed, there are people that have been riding these spots way before most of you (not all) were a sperm in your daddies nut sack. What goes around comes around!
JudgeK said:
Oh how funny this is, divisions in a new sport yet again. No surprise at all. Pros, groms, super groms, locals, newbies, intense squad, jeez the list goes on. This shit goes on all the time and I for one find it very wearing, no single group of skaters own any one spot, what we do is illegal and if others choose to risk riding any road it's down to them. If this leaves you with nowhere to ride, tough shit. Everyone who skates is responsible for their own actions and to be honest the main reason for all the busts is, all the frikkin' videos you heroes put on the net that go viral. Yea you look good sliding and what not on the roads going round blind corners ( yes you can see round them but the vid doesn't show that), this is why Mr Plod is hot on skating and skaters, because of the irresponsible actions of everyone and some very public actions that have publicised the sport nationally in a bad light. Carry on promoting an illegal activity and you will get the service of your very own Police person giving you shit. So I think anyone who stands on a pedestal and gives others shit for ruining their day, when it's their own fault, should wind their necks in!!! You may wish to shoot me down but think before you type, it tends to help when rants make sense.

hey judge,its more about teaching the groms the ettiquette we have followed for ages,.they havnt listened to wat we have told them about being stealthy,mixing the spots up,'resting' hills,not loitering and keeping there mouths shut...making this known on asra is just another way to drum home the message.......

we dont expect to have the hills to ourselves and we probably cant expect them to stay quiet forever...the cops are bound to get onto some spots,...but it can be slowed and prevented by us being a bit smart.       

another thing that gets me personally is the lack of crew getting out and searching for new spots,just intent on hammering the same old spots,..the way i figure,the more spots we know and can spread out and ride,the better.

the far and away hills have never been a problem,due to the fact they are rarely skated...the kind of places were cops wave to you as you skate by.....this proves the point of what im saying..

I used to skate a rad laneway in Lilli Pilli probably 40 fk'n years ago with my friends when skateboards first came out. Does this give me the right to go back and call it my lane and insist that they have to ask me to use it.
Seriously, who is going to ask someone their permission if they can skate a hill. Is your name and contact details at the top of it.

i know here in oz,we spend a fortune on fuel and time and somtimes airfares, travelling to more distant spots,so we can skate quality hills without the shit.

im pretty sure the overseas crew do a lot of the same......roadtrips.....without groms..haha

Bernard Robinson (BJ) said:

For those of you that interact with the overseas skaters. What do they do in other countries differently, if anything, to overcome the problems that are happening here? Where and how do they train?

I believe that this could just be a fad for the majority. Like the yo-yo. It will be big for a year or 2 then only the dedicated few will continue. Sorry to compare it with a yo-yo!
maybe this is just me but i notice more cops around.
the other day i was skating down a shitty somersby hill with 2 dudes, before we got to the bottom, cops were already behind us with the sirens on. and we havent skated somersby that much.
gets fucked walking back up.
they told us it was an $86 dollar fine but they let us go because we were "serious", serious being a fullface and leathers.
fat dogs and it is double demerits now, so fucked
if it prevents coppers, then i will for sure.

I used to skate a rad laneway in Lilli Pilli probably 40 fk'n years ago with my friends when skateboards first came out. Does this give me the right to go back and call it my lane and insist that they have to ask me to use it.
Seriously, who is going to ask someone their permission if they can skate a hill. Is your name and contact details at the top of it.

hey how bout you take a minute to read the post directly above yours... Benbro raises the issue of ETIQUETTE and respect for the spots, which is why we can now not skate it.

im sure that 40 years ago when u were skating that lane, if a whole bunch of kooks rocked up and messed up the place and kept getting in shit, therefore stopping your chances of skating it, you wouldnt be too impressed either would you?

you know what, i will leave my contact details at the top of the hill... it will read: "I PCTDS and dont you forget it!"

whatever judge. yes the videos we post do facilitate these problems, but without them the sport will retain its underground status and won't see any sunshine in terms of growth. the fact is these kids that are causing the issues are getting busted because of their lack of skill and worst of all, common sense. i'm not saying i haven't made stupid decisions as a rider, but when you get a bunch of kids slowly riding down a gnarly hill, sliding all over the place in front of traffic and pissing every other road user off, it kinda gets up the noses of the ones who are doing the right thing.

the bulk of the cops that come and ruin your day when your out skating a road are actually called out due to  complaints from pissed off drivers. these drivers are pissed off because they've seen "kids recklessly skating down a hilly road without any control". the reason me and my crew barely ever see cops is because we don't get complaints. we aren't seen as the "kids recklessly skating down a hilly road without any control". now why don't roads users see groms this way? well i think thats where we ("the ones standing on pedestals" as you put it) need to work together to try and educate and train these groms into the respectful and controlled riders that we try so hard to be.

I found that the scene overseas was 100% different to what we have here, especially through Europe. To the point where I am considering migrating permanently to central Europe because my recent travels have shown me my own country in a very different light. The possibility of free rides, races and weekend sessions are far greater anywhere else in the world than Australia. Bureaucratic bullshit, whining residents and pig ignorant police are not normal. Don't ever think for a second that they are because the rest of the world does not run in the same bubble wrapped, prissy, kiss as way that Australia does.  

BJ, if you have been skating this ally for many years and have put a lot of time and effort into keeping the spot low key, local friendly and police free, then yes, it is your spot. I would not skate it without asking first and hopefully being taken out by you. Patrick Switzer was told off by the locals in Switzerland for skating a hill that is a 1 run ONLY hill.He didn't follow the rules and he was told. The rules of etiquette apply to EVERYONE, not just groms. 

Phil, we are all aware that what we do is illegal and a lot of people here are trying to make things easier for the scene in that regard. Roads like Corkscrew have HUGE potential for free ride events and even races but if we piss off the locals and police in that area it will make things a lot harder for us in the future. Not to mention that some of us do race, nationally and internationally and these roads are the only places for us to hone skills that we have to. As was said, groms can session any corner on any normal street.. Videos of riding have been around for years, at least for the 4 years I have been riding a longboard. They have always been a big part of the sport. The thing that has made it harder in the past year is not videos, it is loitering kids in extremely large groups skating the same area constantly. The Adelaide scene is 100% different to what  was when I left the country in February.   

A million times over it has been said that one of the best parts of our sport is the community we are apart of. New kids need to learn about this family we have and respect the wishes of older and more experienced riders. Not because we own the spot but because if they wish to ride with us, learn from us and be friends with us then they will listen to our wishes and keep to spots within their limits until they invited to join sessions. 

RSS

Search

© 2024   Created by Bugs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service