ASRA - Australian Skateboard Racing Association

Ok dudes, I have to admit I skate Mongo and I am blaming that on the difficulty I am having getting foot braking down pat. I can do it while cruising no problems but with any sort of real speed if I place my foot on the road it sticks and my board and other foot go shooting off ahead while my front foot stays back which can be quite painful. Any other Mongo skaters out there please help me out. I have tried changing my stance but It just doesn't feel right after all these years. Even if your not Mongo give me some help before my nuts retreat ALL the way up into my stomach!

Peace
Dani

Tags: Are, Dani's, In, Nuts, Trouble!

Views: 109

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I dont have any real experience with mongo but lately ive been trying to skate goofy just to get the feel of it...
After a couple of weeks of solid pushing and cruising im almost to the stage where at low speeds i can handle the board well enough to get out of a bad situation.
The only thing i can reccomend is to keep practising and it will eventually come to you..
Also start slower and then go a little faster each time... Whether you swap to braking normally is up to you..
just practice breaking with your back foot... a mate of mine was pretty much forced to learn one day at mt keirra to get himself out of a hairy situation coz he knew he wasnt comfortable foot breaking with his front foot... he was doing it like a natural by the end of the day... just takes commitment and you will find its way more comfortable... either that or learn to stand up slide or just become a hectic pro mongo-breaker...
i understand when i 1st started skating i was mongo abuot 9 years ago(holy hell) anywho i taught myself not to by nesscessity(too many ssss's). as above. howvere a good way to leanr just to foot break with the back foot. just dorp your toe off the edge of the board and drag it along the pavement.wear old shoes coz this screws them. now keep edging your toe off further and further until you can foot brake.

also aonther tip mongo breaking. skate along and learn to balance on one foot. just hold yourself one foot and the other one up in the air. helps me heaps with my balance. maybe do that but hold your foot off the ground where you would foot break until your comfortable and then start foot breaking.

i dunno if this helps but yeh

also do you skat with your back truck loose because if so you might find even when you can foot break mongo that your board will get hell squirling.

dave
yeh, it'd prob be best to jus take it slow and learn to foot brake using your back foot.. that way you still have pressure on the front truck with your front foot, so you probly wouldn't wobble as much and can still steer with your front..

But then again i've never tried foot braking with my front foot.. Just do what feels more comfortable for you, the more you do it, the easier it'll get..
Cheers dude's I have spent most of today on my street, walking up and skating down getting as much speed as possible (only a slight incline) and trying all different types of foot braking. I used to just hang my toes over the back and drag but found it puts you in wobbles at speed but maybe trying to move it off the board alittle more each time is a good idea, will give that a shot tomorrow. Thnks guys, keep em coming.

Peace
Dani

as a fellow mongo skater, let me introduce you to kludy/drop knee braking. Thats drop knee'ing at its finest...i think that may be birchin lyon......
thats douglas silva... he is an insane foot-breaker like that.... in almabtrieb he would do that AROUND the corners, way further than where people would stop breaking, chuck in a speed check and drift...
sorry...who i'd say? It's silva, not lyon...my bad, i was half pissed and tired when i wrote that.

but yes, he skates the same way i do in a Brazillian tuck....and i've been getting more and more confident in that braking style.....

i just cant foot brake that good and pendy's are frowned upon in 4 person races....
This is the text that sits alongside that image on coast, can't vouch for it, but hey...

"COAST LONGBORDING BRAZIL GORDUCHO!!! THE BIG MAN OF BRAZIL!!! STRIKERS BROTHER!!! SMOKING TO A STOP AT 125 KG!!!!

RATOS!!! FUCKIN EH!!!"
so do you reckon it was 125km/h or 125kilos.....i'm going with both. ;)
I naturally scoot mongo but as a kid with long flat commutes learnt to push with both feet. I havent tried foot braking as the mellow hills i ride I can scrub speed through traversing and slides.

What are the various tuck methods? what are perdy's, can someone explain all the down hill terminogogy for us newby's
Hi asra dudes old man kanufi here. Footbraking ? I am an old downhill skater ho is mongo and has just learnt to footbrake.Every chance i got iv droped the back foot off to get used to the action. Its not actually that hard to do its more of a head game you are playing with yourself.Try kicking with your rear foot as well.What 2 things that helped me learn this stuff is practicing on wet roads.The water makes it less grippy and easier to get the feel of it. Another way was to just throw yourself into it.This is what i did. Take off yourslide gloves and head towards your nearest main road pitwatter rd now the only way an stop is foot brake or go the fall off method known as flesh braking.Trust me you will go the foot brake option all the time.Just keep practicing and dont let you head tell you its freaky.
Cheers Kanufi

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Search

© 2024   Created by Bugs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service