ASRA - Australian Skateboard Racing Association

im looking to buy DH speed set up but not sure if i really need to spend $115 on 90mm wheels, reason is so that i dont have to replace wheels often if i was to use the board 3times a week or on a regular basis.

would 76mm wheels be ideal first and then try the 90mms ill be Down hilling and carving in and out of streets so im looking for wheels that ll have awsum grip but yet good wear for say 6months.... ow long do wheels last for you??

Views: 129

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

gonna test em out (and the 75's) this thursday on the mountain. ive got em on my longboard at the moment and they feel great.
k-rimes won peyragudes with them and he said they felt amazing... he also came 2nd at almabtrieb by mere centemetres on them. scoot just had a really good line through the last few corners and got a nice draft to take 1st place just before the finish line.

they have already been proven worthy by the best...

kristian said:
Jacko said:
get a set of 70mm orangatangs... they are the shit... best wheels ive ever ridden... ever

best wheels for downhill? you using them now or still bigzigs?
Nathan,

I was thinking about getting a pair of 83mm Speed Vents to run in the rear with the coretechs or Ill just save them for really smooth surfaces
Mountain Mick said:
QUESTION... will the 70mm diameter be much slower then say the 75mm diameter on a hill like the station.need to sort this before Master of the kill.
regards
There are a few variables to consider here Master Mick. Will getting a body check be more stable on 70mm or 75mm wheels? What does Bugs skate on that hill, he is one of the fast ones there.
I am thinking acceleration will be the key. So maybe a 70mm wheel will be faster from the start, get you in a good position. It is hard to pass a leader on that hill unless they make a mistake. Orangatangs are the best wheel for that big corner, they grip, help you take a tight line.
if no braking 75 to 82 mm wheels !
77 speedvents would be good !
You should get some orangatangs, best wheels you can find if you ask me. I ride them on 3 of my 5 boards and I love them!
You can find more info here: http://www.orangatangwheels.com/

///Gabriel
I beg to differ.
The trouble with the larger diameter Flywheels like 90 and 97mm is the thane used.
The technology now with the reflex thane is unreal, as everyone now knows and enjoys. To implement that thane into a cored wheel bumps the production cost up. It was done but in very limited quantities. No one wanted to pay that much on an old wheel design.
Which leads to the next aspect geometry. A square lips has way more grip. If a rider can maintain traction through a turn they're going to maintain speed instead of wash it off. Hence the later released speed vents with sq lip profile.
Flywheels have a slight radius and tapered lead in rather than being sq lipped then cored away like zigs tangs etc. Instead of biting in they drift easier. The lead in makes the edge stronger and less prone to chunking which was a big problem with early edition gumballs done in reflex like the original 76mm pinks. The radius lip also robs some of the contact patch.
To wrap it up. If Chaput created a scaled up version of the reflex big zig at 90mm, cored, I reckon it would make for an insane DH wheel.
I guess though there is pride at stake aswell because everyone would turn and say he's ripped off gesmers Vents.
how would it be a rip off of the speed vents? the vents have that plastic core and a giant bigzig would still be just a massive hunk of thane without a core i think..
Fitz said:
I beg to differ.
The trouble with the larger diameter Flywheels like 90 and 97mm is the thane used.
The technology now with the reflex thane is unreal, as everyone now knows and enjoys. To implement that thane into a cored wheel bumps the production cost up. It was done but in very limited quantities. No one wanted to pay that much on an old wheel design.
Which leads to the next aspect geometry. A square lips has way more grip. If a rider can maintain traction through a turn they're going to maintain speed instead of wash it off. Hence the later released speed vents with sq lip profile.
Flywheels have a slight radius and tapered lead in rather than being sq lipped then cored away like zigs tangs etc. Instead of biting in they drift easier. The lead in makes the edge stronger and less prone to chunking which was a big problem with early edition gumballs done in reflex like the original 76mm pinks. The radius lip also robs some of the contact patch.
To wrap it up. If Chaput created a scaled up version of the reflex big zig at 90mm, cored, I reckon it would make for an insane DH wheel.
I guess though there is pride at stake aswell because everyone would turn and say he's ripped off gesmers Vents.
Fitz said:
If Chaput created a scaled up version of the reflex big zig at 90mm, cored
stephen.mhsrider said:
how would it be a rip off of the speed vents? the vents have that plastic core and a giant bigzig would still be just a massive hunk of thane without a core i think
I did mention cored.
oh sorry bout that
no drama dude :)
Its good to hear your say too.

I just wanted to put in as many pro and cons into the discussion as I could think.
At the end of the day, it all comes down to personal opinion.

Ball's in your court DemonBoarder. Post up what you finally decide to get.
Just about all the wheels mentioned in this topic (even the ones people say are crap) are suitable for speedboarding. Some just have better aspects than others.
get the rainskates yellow jackets... they are fast! hahahaha

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Search

© 2024   Created by Bugs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service