ASRA - Australian Skateboard Racing Association

Sydney downhill does not exist. No one skates down mountain roads. Everyone here sticks to the suburbs and local bombs. There are no good downhill runs in sydney. Everything is flat.

Please do not ask where to go skateboarding, because we dont know. We dont actually skate in sydney, we all ride scooters...

...Nek Minit

Views: 3589

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

alright,sweet,we'll work on all gettin there for friday,sounds like were goin to the pie,be good to see how it looks now!
Count me in for friday
Hey Fitz, I thought everyone knew about this story!

Its a classic example of someone inexperienced riding a hill they shouldn't have, whacking himself and thus causing bad press and likely ruining the hill for others.
Mat of the Sunshine Coast put up a clip on Youtube of himself running this hill, which is a busy road. Some local kid apparently saw it and had a go while wearing no safety gear at all. He unfortunately hit his head and died. Due to our current culture of seeking to blame others for our own stupid actions, Mat copped a lot of shit for 'inspiring' the kid to do it.

Other than putting the footage on Youtube the main mistake Mat made was to run wide on one of the corners. He replied to one of the papers who ran the story explaining that he was training for the World tour etc and claimed he was fully in control, which was a bit hard to believe considering he ran wide on a blind corner on a busy road. It seems that this was the main reason the police went for him pretty hard - had he remained on his side of the road at all times its likely they wouldn't have taken such exception. In the end the judge took a reasonably lenient view, probably helped by the fact that Mat sensibly hired a lawyer to aid his defence and he ended up getting fined some hundreds of dollars.

That's my summary of the story. I feel a bit poor for Mat to mention this again as he copped plenty at the time. What he did is nothing different to what many have done at some point, but it illustrates why its not always a good idea to put everything on the net, especially the names of hills which require skill and experience to ride safely.

Fitz said:
Sean said:
The story of Mat from the sunshine coast should inspire caution in those who like to splash everything on the net
What happened? I missed that one.
Can anyone give me a lift on friday from brookvale. Give ya petty $$
I'd like to come along if you guys don't mind. Any idea of a time ? I gotta do some things in the morning though.
Aaah that dude,
Yeah I didn't get the whole story on him or his name for that matter. I saw his youtube antics.
Poor Qld has a tender history for skateboard fatalities. I think that was the 3rd one that made big news in recent years. All three counts, yup you guessed it, NO HELMET.

Sean said:
Hey Fitz, I thought everyone knew about this story!
sweet phil,we were goin to get there bout 9;00-9'30,...meet at piensky..pray for sunshine and no cops,.

Phill C said:
I'd like to come along if you guys don't mind. Any idea of a time ? I gotta do some things in the morning though.
I'll have to see if I can get the day off work
I'm all good for tomoz 9am at the pie
Great session guys, ripped that hill up.
Who's keen for next week sometime?
im gunna be busy next week but keen for hawks the following week,you are so ready for hawk gabe,go n hit a hairpin for a bit in the following weeks and u'll luv hawks,slower than today because its more tech....u r sweet with keira so hawks wont be to much of a stepup......yeh today was sweet,while it lasted,just to sample that sweet new pavement...all the crew was flyin on that stuff...gabe was rippin,stick with it dude,soon u will be one of the best around..age is on your side bro.,be sure to sort out that film.........on first name basis with the local coppa's now..they,like us,luv that hill...
so how is the new pavement? is it sick-gnar? the local coppers hassling you?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Search

© 2024   Created by Bugs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service