ASRA - Australian Skateboard Racing Association

Sydney downhill does not exist. No one skates down mountain roads. Everyone here sticks to the suburbs and local bombs. There are no good downhill runs in sydney. Everything is flat.

Please do not ask where to go skateboarding, because we dont know. We dont actually skate in sydney, we all ride scooters...

...Nek Minit

Views: 3589

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

been riding Keira for nearly 4 years. never had any hassles from cops other than them rocking up fully stoked asking more about what we are doing, or the once in a blue moon "look mate its fully rad and im stoked you guys are ripping but i gotta do my job and that is to ask u to leave".

i want it to stay that way, so do the rest of the people who skate it and respect it. just like pie in the sky. im going to say this only once, in the best interest for everyone involved - if anyone blows it there will be some heavy 'locals only' action going down. Keep your groups small and in control, dont fuck it up and if you aint good enough go back to the pumpy, and before you ride ANY of these hills make sure you know how to slide and stop BEFORE you think about it
Just to add to that Jacko, don't forget people to treat the Pump Station with the same respect.

This sort of shit has been happening at the station for last few months and Mountain Mick recently had the local fire chief come down on him about the fires. Even tho we told him it wasn't us (i've seen a grom video of them camping with a fire at the pump station), the Fire Chief blamed the local skaters for bringing attention to the place. Apparently he's the kind of dick that'll take it further too.

Mick now has to go back and clean this up just so we can keep skating there. Remember he found the place, he shared the place, if people keep doing this you will loose it.
Leave the Pump St as you found it. Clean, spotless, no fires. Don't park in driveways. Be friendly and say hello to the random people there who are walking dogs or riding bikes or whatever. Don't give anybody a reason to think "skateboarders are trouble".

If you're with somebody who is not following this general rule, kick 'em until they do follow it. If that doesn't work, out them to the BMB and let Guff and Mountain Mick deal with them.
To ease your mind jacko, we've really been working hard on keeping the vibes good on keira. Never hit it on weekends, thumbs up and waves to all the cars, bikers and cyclists we pass. We've been having a few runs in with the police, and theyve all been really positive. We had about a half an hour chat with the same highway patrol officer that you guys snuck a shot of in a keira video from a while back. He was loving it, he was asking all about the dudes that he talked to before that were going overseas to skate, we showed him all our boards, told him all about Newtons, showed him how we stop and be safe. He ended up stoking so hard on the idea of regular skate events on the hill, didnt even ask us to leave. Spent about 20minutes today frothing with these ederly bushwalkers with their 6year old grandkids, they came for a drive down behind us to see what we did. Now the grandson wants a board and his grandparents are frothing.. to get him a board when hes 18 haha, even with kelly there. They loved how responsible we all are.
We're doing our best man to invest in the hill and the sport in general. And so far, its really paying off.

Jacko said:
been riding Keira for nearly 4 years. never had any hassles from cops other than them rocking up fully stoked asking more about what we are doing, or the once in a blue moon "look mate its fully rad and im stoked you guys are ripping but i gotta do my job and that is to ask u to leave".

i want it to stay that way, so do the rest of the people who skate it and respect it. just like pie in the sky. im going to say this only once, in the best interest for everyone involved - if anyone blows it there will be some heavy 'locals only' action going down. Keep your groups small and in control, dont fuck it up and if you aint good enough go back to the pumpy, and before you ride ANY of these hills make sure you know how to slide and stop BEFORE you think about it
Finn - did you get the cop's name? If so PM me please. also can you send me your ph number?
good shit fin, thats what i wanna hear. it was just a general word to people who are skating in Sydney at the moment. check out QLD, and how out of control news reports get. even though its a bad wrap and forgotten by the end of the week it can get annoying. Right now we dont get any of that stuff and i like it like that, we all do. The crew can regularly skate without hassles. Its great to expand the crew and get more people into it but there can be only so many until things get out of hand and kooks start blowing it. so keep groups small, and avoid hot spots UNLESS you know how to handle your shit with swift precision. That means being able to flow well with any sort of traffic AND be able to handle a situation with the police for just in case. keep shredding gentelmen but be smart and dont take what we have for granted. Remember we are not traffic and we are riding down hills on skateboards, dont act loose about it when u hit fast hills with traffic its a serious thing
Jacko said:
know how to handle your shit with swift precision

If this board allowed signatures, I would be sticking that in right now.
It's gnar poetry.
hey all,
I like to go down hills. i wouldn't say I'm new to downhill, been doing it for about a year, and have finally been bothered to look for some local spots/riders/events or whatever. On the topic of kirra, i Have a few questions. What's it like?
i've skated some sizey local hills and have always wanted to take on a mountain, but never been game/confident. to the people that have skated it, whats it like? i've drove up and down it a few times but never really paid much attention to the corners/straights ect. Many hairpins? have to slide much? how often do you'se get sessions in? anything else i should know/be aware of? would anyone be happy to take me on a run down it to introduce/familiarate me with it?
any feedback/info is appreciated.
don't be a hater.
cheers
There are many things to consider before doing keira. If you screw up a left hander it is a Russian roulette whether you die or not by hitting a car as all the lefts are completely blind and a car is unable to avoid you. It is not a fast run but it is a long and technical run. If you have never done a run like that you need to hold your nerve for the whole distance. Anybody with a days coaching can skate fast and straight but when you add 15 corners that you need to vary your speed on else you crash it becomes a whole different ball game. While its relatively smooth there are lots of variations, rough spots and potholes that will make you bail if you hit them. You need to be able to stop from a very high speed very quickly on a downhill section as you occasionally come up on a slow moving bus/truck/car on the way down and given how narrow it is you are usually unable to pass.

Most guys think they are not new to downhill until they see real downhill being done - there is a lot to learn. If you haven't done mutli km runs on mountain roads at speeds that exceed 80km with multiple corners that require strong breaking and done that for a number of years than you are new to downhill. The best thing to do is hook up with the Sydney guys that ride keira or the South Coast crew on one of their sessions and have a good look first, drive them back up the hill, see the gear that everyone uses and the types of setups and then maybe have a run or two.
dont go u will die

dont hate the player, hate the game

Gary Fleming said:
hey all,
I like to go down hills. i wouldn't say I'm new to downhill, been doing it for about a year, and have finally been bothered to look for some local spots/riders/events or whatever. On the topic of kirra, i Have a few questions. What's it like?
i've skated some sizey local hills and have always wanted to take on a mountain, but never been game/confident. to the people that have skated it, whats it like? i've drove up and down it a few times but never really paid much attention to the corners/straights ect. Many hairpins? have to slide much? how often do you'se get sessions in? anything else i should know/be aware of? would anyone be happy to take me on a run down it to introduce/familiarate me with it?
any feedback/info is appreciated.
don't be a hater.
cheers
has anyone skated this road before?

View Larger Map even the dam rd itself i could see in the distance on the weekend and looked pretty hilly.
no,one i know of trav....definetly needs checking,...it will all come down to the surface quality,....

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Search

© 2024   Created by Bugs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service