ASRA - Australian Skateboard Racing Association

So I got told a little while ago by a fellow skater (Isaac) seeing my picture in the concrete wave magazines current issue advertismnets. And he was telling me that it was for a sunglasses company from America called troy optics, who I'd never had contact with or even heard of them for that matter. So I just told him that It couldn't of been me. But recently when I was talking to Pete, he backed up Isaacs story and I checked out the online concrete waves current advertisments, and sure enough it was a photo of myself in one of the lenses of the sunnies in the picture. here's the link http://www.concretewavemagazine.com/magazine/current-issue-adsand
Click on troy optics and have a geeze, the picture has been reflected and is in black and white to this orginal

So I've sent them an email a couple days ago no reply yet. Just curious about what you would think of this situation and if they didn't end up replying to emails???

Views: 162

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The problem with photography is that legally it is the property of the photographer. If people start using the photo for commercial gain then the photographer should be the one kicking up a stink. It is up to you as the subject of the photo to get what you want from the photographer (ie. money, pie, whatever) before or during the ''shoot''. Either that or you buy the photo or have it signed over to you by the shooter.

Keep e-mailing them and if you can remember who took the photo (Timbo you said?) then get them to e-mail too. Or not, you may well be happy having your photo in a mag and spreading the good vibes of UV protectant sunnies. Your image could prevent many a' eye cancer.
Still that's pretty tight... make sure you post up a pic of it after he does the design.
Stoke right there, own shirt, sunnies, who knows... might have a full wardrobe hahah

Joe said:
Hahahah welll, I bought a shirt off him, then the shirt guy was looking for a pic of a pre drift/toeside and i sent that in to him. He replied and said perfect just what i was looking for!!!!! he said he will do up a design and so on, and if he sells 5+ shirts then he will shout me some of the shirts.

Jordan Madeley said:
Soon they'll get you on a working visa then BAM!!! Video part and all in the concrete wave DVD and shit.
Shirts as well??? You're killing the market over there hahah

Joe said:
Timbo took the photo dani, so yesss of course!!!!!! I do owe timbo if anything did come out of this that's for sure.Nice Pic buddy. I have another little thing going on with this picture as well from a company in the us who designs skate shirts thats in the making as we speak hahah!!!!
send a nice email about how your flattered they used the pic but you and you mate that took the pic think it would be polite for them to offer you some sunnies in return for using it. (That's what the rest of the world would think anyway...

I'm pretty sure the people you get in touch with aren't the same people that ripped the image off the net (and possibly sold it to them!)

If you get the feeling they are being assholes write another email telling them how uncool their response has been and that you intend on posting the ad along with your original photo on 125 skating websites/ facebook, myspace, youtube etc and your opinion on the matter (based on their response)

even if they don't think the use of the photo is worth a few pairs of sunnies, the bad press from their not asking you for permission is worth a boxload ,)
Pretty sure the photograapher would be down for it either way, (especially free proddy or whatever hahah) If it's both of you hitting them up then i'm sure they'd be up for getting shit over here so they can break the market, cause they're an "upstart" company.

Dani said:
The problem with photography is that legally it is the property of the photographer. If people start using the photo for commercial gain then the photographer should be the one kicking up a stink. It is up to you as the subject of the photo to get what you want from the photographer (ie. money, pie, whatever) before or during the ''shoot''. Either that or you buy the photo or have it signed over to you by the shooter.

Keep e-mailing them and if you can remember who took the photo then get them to e-mail too. Or not, you may well be happy having your photo in a mag and spreading the good vibes of UV protectant sunnies. Your image could prevent many a' eye cancer.
Joe,

if they don't cough up with some goodies, remind them that you are a minor and they don't have your parents permission to use your image. This should throw a feline among the pigeons!!!!!!!!

Cheers mate and nice pic

Ado
@ Brad yeah mate, thats basically what I said in the email I sent them and just tagged a few other pictures from the same estate so they know I'm not trying to rip them off or something. Ahhhh yess of course, I'lll come back to this forum when I need more advice on the next step thats for sure hahaha.
@ Ado, Never though of that actually! I mean we do usually have to sign one when we first enroll into school so that's a very good back up.
Hahaha indeed Tim, sorry I should of contacted you straight away about this.

tim said:
They didn,t ask me if they could use my image! They can bloody well give me something!!!!
thats sick..
Hahaha yep that sounds like a plan Tim, with myself being a minor and your photo being used with out permission we could take down the company together hahahah or just several boxes of sunnies ;P

tim said:
That's cool Joe,I might look in to it and see if they can just use someones image without permission.The least they can do is send me a couple of hundred pairs of sunnies! ;P
yea and couple of sunnies for my board haha, i want it to be coool. sorry that was pretty bad, but go for the sponsorship dude it be sick

tim said:
Sounds like a plan ;)
Sunnies for your board????????

Ian Coggan said:
yea and couple of sunnies for my board haha, i want it to be coool. sorry that was pretty bad, but go for the sponsorship dude it be sick

tim said:
Sounds like a plan ;)
Hahaha that kid should stay off the fruit loops ;p or hash cookies maybe

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Search

© 2024   Created by Bugs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service