ASRA - Australian Skateboard Racing Association

i got into longboarding about 9 weeks ago when i recieved my first longboard, a psycho 40' dropdown off ebay. Recently ( about two weeks ago)  i bought an 09 avenger to step it up. over these 9 weeks, ive maxed out about 50 maby if i was lucky 60, on the standard carving bushings on the noname rev-kingpins that come with the psycho and it was pretty unstable, but i never fell off and never really got major wobbles. I actually felt a little more stable on the psycho than i do on the avenger.

anyway,

Today i took my avenger( with the trucks from the psycho) down to mt petrie road near carindale/ makensie. This was my first descent hill. 

The first time i go down, i feel a hint of wobbles and it feels hell unstable. by this time i realised that this was by far faster than i had ever gone before, but I go again.  the next time i feel the wobbles again, but i take my mind off them and they dont do too much damage.

The third time however, my spotter didnt see a car comeing head on, I know i shouldnt be riding in the opposite lane but its way harder to see cars coming on the left lane at that hill, and theres this wierd turn at the bottom thats pretty dangerous to go through on the left lane.

i got 3/4 down the hill when i see the 4wl drive.  In the process of turning into the left lane, i hit a reflector on the road. This exagurated the speed wobbles by heaps, throwing me off my board and in about half a second i was eating gravel on the side of the road.

i spent a while lookin for my board, and the walkie-talkie that i had used to talk to my spotter was nowhere to be found.

im recieving a set of paris 180s and big zigs soon. with some dh khiros bushes, my question is, will the paris's be any different, and help at all with the speed wobbles? or is it just in my technique, and that i have to get used to the topmount / going faster.

Views: 97

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nick Threapleton said:
If you feel unstable on the paris's, there's nothing stopping you from buying 42* randal plates

Another option, cheaper and perhaps better, is to buy a single Randal 35 deg baseplate, and use it in place of the rear Paris baseplate.
ye but i dont really like turning just from the front, equal turning feels way betta probs go for double 45s or 35s . what bushings should i go for, venoms? something that would do me better in my trucks than in someones eye.
Pink and green venom in the back double green or green and red in the front. If your a jockey than green/red in the back and double red at the front - all barrels
if your turning with your back foot at speed that's most likely the cause of your wobbles... equally, your bushing set up probably isnt helping too much but isn't always an issue if your turning fine and not wobbling around bends... try riding with your back foot further forward to limit its effect on your stability if you naturally favor it, as you'll need to learn to NOT turn with your back foot at 40+ speed

Matthys van lille said:
ye but i dont really like turning just from the front, equal turning feels
kk, how do u think that i could get out of the habit?
Matthys van lille said:
ye but i dont really like turning just from the front...

50/35 is not "turning just from the front"; that would be 50/0. 50/35 is a fairly classic setup; it's a little out of fashion but it's due for a comeback.
skate, skate and then skate some more, video ur self or ask a mate what ur doing wrong and consciously change it. duuuuhhhhhhh

Matthys van lille said:
kk, how do u think that i could get out of the habit?
sweet.
just have to wait till my forearms grow some skin agian before i can put on some pads.
Hope you had a helmet on and did not injure yourself too much (oops just read about your forearms).

Amazing amount of discussion about gear, and almost nothing about how you got yourself into that situation in the first place. Ie: an ineffective spotter, and you out on wrong side of road.

Crashes dont happen because you or someone else "didnt" do something.
They happen because of something you did.
Ie you DID go out on the wrong side of the road(which you have the intelligence to accept was part of the problem), and you DID have a spotter who DID look away from the road at precisely the right time for the approaching car to get by unseen.

If you can get it, read the guide to motorcycle racing called "Twist of the Wrist" has some good stuff about, personal development of racing skills, getting around corners and learning from your mistakes, which is in many aspects is surprisingly relevant to downhill skating, and from reading your post, I reckon you might get something out of it. (you just have to ignore all the bits about engines and brakes!)

It would be really good if you could session with a few more ASRA members so you can get the very best advice, and manage your runs as safely as you can.
Get well Soon.
thanks man, i was wearing my fullface and my kneepads/ elbowpads and gloves, yet when i stood up i felt a massive burn under my pads and when i took them off there was a massive patch of flesh showing i guess thats what happens when ur wearing retro safety gear. going to buy some new stuff soon, probs just get the safety gear from rebel sport.

cant wait till my birthday when im getting some leathers.
A burn under your pads come from pads that simply don't work.
before you buy saftey gear.
Check out what the Hopshop has.
Or Dirk at Prodesigned (see charliedontskate).
I can guarantee that Rebel sport dont have gear anywhere as good as them.

dont be cheap, cause you now know what cheap "saftey" gear feels like after a crash.
You need to spend at least as much on saftey gear as you do on a board, and you should also subscribe to your state's Ambulance service.

Matthys van lille said:
thanks man, i was wearing my fullface and my kneepads/ elbowpads and gloves, yet when i stood up i felt a massive burn under my pads and when i took them off there was a massive patch of flesh showing i guess thats what happens when ur wearing retro safety gear. going to buy some new stuff soon, probs just get the safety gear from rebel sport.

cant wait till my birthday when im getting some leathers.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Search

© 2024   Created by Bugs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service