ASRA - Australian Skateboard Racing Association

This discussion is aimed at a few individuals who in the past have given me shit about encouraging kids and adults to chuck a helmet on.

Comment by Geoffrey Templer 20 minutes ago (Taking the EOTH)

"my mate fucked up a slide up at frome (carpark) where those tossers put that talcum powder (to make slides easier) and smashed his head and had a seasure.... ambo came after like 10mins :\ great. but he was alright, after bout 2 hours he was well enough to be spotting out the hot nurses :)"

Of course he was NOT wearing a helmet. The kid could've died..... OR WORSE!
Thank someone upstairs that he is ok but now we are one place less to skate in the city. Not only that but if anyone catches wind of this (being anyone from the press) this could be a disaster for us.
They will be cracking down hard in U-parks in Adelaide now that someone has actually been seriousley injured on there property.

This is what happens when older, more experienced people encourage others to ride without a lid. "relax your on private property, it wont hurt", "you dont skate hard or fast enough to do any real damage"

Riding without a lid is STUPID. Promoting it is STUPID. Thinking "it wont happen to me" is STUPID. Reading these comments and thinking "chill out", "relax" is STUPID.

If not for your self, for your parents, your brother and your sister and for the continued privelage to skate that you share with all of your closest friends..... Wear a fu#*ing helmet!

Views: 138

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had a pretty bad stack about 2 months ago, i dove into a toeside corner too hard without grabbing rail, I got highsided and the first thing to come into contact with bitumen was my helmet. took a sick lil chunk out of the back of my helmet and im so glad i had it on.
i can fix up the damage on my helmet with a sticker which costs, about $2 (the helmet is still structurally sound)
If i didnt have my helmet on the damage could have cost me my life, priceless

Its a shame a sticker couldnt fix my right arse cheek that was covered with roadburn from sliding to a stop hahaha
Got a photo of the helmet Matt?

full faces also save teeth!
actually i manage to keep my helmet off the ground in this crash, but you get the idea........
Break Dancer!
uhhh dude... i would be replacing that helmet. where the crack is now might potentially break next time you smash your noggin. sure they claim they could be used again but i would never trust a chunk out of my lid, specially if i smashed it good and hard in a hit that would potentially kill me had i not been wearing one... i think u might need a new one and hang that one on the wall... it will look sick when showing chick round your house "yeah and this is from when i was doing like 110km/h down a mountain road and like fully got buckled. im ok though coz im tough but you can see where i nearly got killed"

Matthew Pascoe said:
I had a pretty bad stack about 2 months ago, i dove into a toeside corner too hard without grabbing rail, I got highsided and the first thing to come into contact with bitumen was my helmet. took a sick lil chunk out of the back of my helmet and im so glad i had it on.
i can fix up the damage on my helmet with a sticker which costs, about $2 (the helmet is still structurally sound)
If i didnt have my helmet on the damage could have cost me my life, priceless

Its a shame a sticker couldnt fix my right arse cheek that was covered with roadburn from sliding to a stop hahaha
Jacko said:
it will look sick when showing chick round your house "yeah and this is from when i was doing like 110km/h down a mountain road and like fully got buckled. im ok though coz im tough but you can see where i nearly got killed"
Matthew Pascoe said:
If i didnt have my helmet on the damage could have cost me my life, priceless Its a shame a sticker couldnt fix my right arse cheek that was covered with roadburn from sliding to a stop hahaha
chicks love guys who like to use protection
Im pretty sure that already been said Sean.
Pascoe, Its actually the foam inside the helmet which preotects your head. Once you have had a crash on it that foam will dent and is now compromised. Next time if you fall on the same spot you will land on the patch of foam that is weak and it may give under the pressure.

I think Jacko may be onto something with the new helmet thing.
Yeah helmets are designed for one impact only, after that you should hang it up and get a new one. The only way to know if a helmet is still good after a crash is to get it checked by a safety standards authority or the manufacturer, and lets be honest, who has the time or money to waste on that kind of carry-on. Its best to just replace it.
Something I always tell customers who are uming and ahing about helmets. Compared to your head a new helmet is very very cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've only got a $5 head, but its filled with millions of dollars worth of life, knowledge and experiences. well ok, maybe only 1/2 a million. But it ain't worth anything if I'm dead or a vege.

Adrian Alderson said:
Something I always tell customers who are uming and ahing about helmets. Compared to your head a new helmet is very very cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!
guys when you say one fall and you get a new helmet :S
you just mean bad falls dont you where all the weight hits the lid and it shakes you arround and chunks it>?
cause i cant afford to get a new helmet every time i fall off which is about 10 times for an hour session learning how to slide

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Search

© 2024   Created by Bugs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service