ASRA - Australian Skateboard Racing Association

Hi all,

Stumbled across a website today http://fusionsk8.com/fusion_longboards_gallery.html

Was wondering if this brand has good rep? Look like interesting designs.

Tags: fusion, longboards

Views: 1792

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have tried one of your boards. Saggy flex with insane amounts of torsional flex. I haven't tried more but yeah first impression sucked.

The quality of a lot of these brands is extremely questionable. That was shown in a big way at last years ISPO. So many companies seeing a cash cow and trying to jump on board. The best thing to do when looking for a board is have a look at which brands are supporting events. Races, slide jams, pushing, skate schools or any other. You will find that these brands will most likely be Rayne, Landyachtz, Sector 9, Airflow, Fibretech or Loaded.. Locally you are going to be seeing Glyde, Daddow, Skatement or Fat Pigeon. All these brands have been around since the beginning (minus a couple). They are made by skaters and people who are strongly involved in the scene. If a company like Fusion sk8 wants to be apart of this scene then they need to create boards that are actually functional (apparently they are working on that), they need to support riders and events (when and if they can) but most importantly they need to be involved in the scene.

The first thing that strikes me when looking at the website is their ''team''. Not only do the skaters look incredibly average but none of them have helmets on. I try not to lecture people on wearing helmets any more but you can't deny that helmets in the longboarding scene are a huge aspect and if this company has photos plastered all over their website of riders with no helmets then they are probably not really involved in longboarding at all. As well as this they make just about every board under the sun which tells me that the don't have a passion for skating, surfing, snowboarding or wake boarding. I enjoy surfing and snowboarding but my true passion is skating, that is what I live and breath for. This company is essentially claiming to know enough about all of these sports, including wake boarding to make everything. I wouldn't trust that. 

Easiest way to look at these companies. You have a skate shop, they sell skateboards and skate shoes. You know what they like because they sell it, simple. Then you have a ''surfy shop'' called something like ''extreme board riders'' or ''surf sun and snow''. They stock EVERYTHING. Scooters, surfboards, body boards, longboards, street decks, snow boots, shorts, winter pants... EVERYTHING. If they don't make money on one, they don't stock it anymore. They have no passion for anything except the prospect of making money.

Rayne longboards and the others I mentioned are the skate shop, Fusionsk8 (<they also need to change the way they spell skate, Avril Lavigne is so 90's) is the surf shop (at least, that is how they appear through their website and branding).

All food for thought. Take it or leave it Fusion, I'm not having a go at you, do what you have to do.

D Sing, buy a Rayne Vendetta.

Don't know what to say.....that was beautifull

Dani said:

The quality of a lot of these brands is extremely questionable. That was shown in a big way at last years ISPO. So many companies seeing a cash cow and trying to jump on board. The best thing to do when looking for a board is have a look at which brands are supporting events. Races, slide jams, pushing, skate schools or any other. You will find that these brands will most likely be Rayne, Landyachtz, Sector 9, Airflow, Fibretech or Loaded.. Locally you are going to be seeing Glyde, Daddow, Skatement or Fat Pigeon. All these brands have been around since the beginning (minus a couple). They are made by skaters and people who are strongly involved in the scene. If a company like Fusion sk8 wants to be apart of this scene then they need to create boards that are actually functional (apparently they are working on that), they need to support riders and events (when and if they can) but most importantly they need to be involved in the scene.

The first thing that strikes me when looking at the website is their ''team''. Not only do the skaters look incredibly average but none of them have helmets on. I try not to lecture people on wearing helmets any more but you can't deny that helmets in the longboarding scene are a huge aspect and if this company has photos plastered all over their website of riders with no helmets then they are probably not really involved in longboarding at all. As well as this they make just about every board under the sun which tells me that the don't have a passion for skating, surfing, snowboarding or wake boarding. I enjoy surfing and snowboarding but my true passion is skating, that is what I live and breath for. This company is essentially claiming to know enough about all of these sports, including wake boarding to make everything. I wouldn't trust that. 

Easiest way to look at these companies. You have a skate shop, they sell skateboards and skate shoes. You know what they like because they sell it, simple. Then you have a ''surfy shop'' called something like ''extreme board riders'' or ''surf sun and snow''. They stock EVERYTHING. Scooters, surfboards, body boards, longboards, street decks, snow boots, shorts, winter pants... EVERYTHING. If they don't make money on one, they don't stock it anymore. They have no passion for anything except the prospect of making money.

Rayne longboards and the others I mentioned are the skate shop, Fusionsk8 (<they also need to change the way they spell skate, Avril Lavigne is so 90's) is the surf shop (at least, that is how they appear through their website and branding).

All food for thought. Take it or leave it Fusion, I'm not having a go at you, do what you have to do.

D Sing, buy a Rayne Vendetta.

The way they speak to the public on Internet forums is also very questionable.

yeah they dont sound very legit

http://fusionsk8.com/wakeboards.html

So you're advertising a product you don't make? I'm confused...

Skylar Andrews said:

Hey Dudes... First off We have not made any wakeboards yet.... so mr. Alexander below is a liar.

Well said Dani. That is all

Hey Dani,

My name is Trevor and I'm over marketing and in this case public relations.  I've read your post and you've made some very good points and some not so good points based on assumption.  To clear the air a little you will have to forgive my partner; however being able to produce a product and offering it are two entirely different things.  We can make a wake board, have we, no, we haven't so kind of hard to ride on one. I guess will give Alexander the benefit of the doubt on that one?  As far as "BIG" business we are not and actually are just now able to start hosting small events and flowing riders who would like to rep our brand.  So no Dani, our clear cut plan for world domination was not by breaking into the highly competitive and marginalized world of the skate industry.  I do apprecitate your concern for our friends and riders and will make sure that they are at least offered the proper equipment in the future.  I will however say that there are different riding styles and not everybody likes to ride down a hill (nor needs to) looking like there going to a daft punk concert.  Not to recently one are friends broke his arm, rib and punctured his lung (I highly doubt the helmet would have saved him that trauma, his head though was intact).  We are from all walks of life and have different interests like you, but share a common love for longboarding.  We have already decided to deal exclusively with longboards with the exception of a small line of street decks.  It has definatly been a hassle and would be hard to be competitive with all the different industries.  As far as our team we are looking for a few exceptional riders, but for the most part we skate with people that love to skate doesn't matter to us or them how "good" anyone thinks they are, we just skate.  That comment is probably the most difficult for me to understand and is possibly the most pretentious of all I read here.  We are not into this elitist theory that you have to be awesome or have to skate since you were one year old to have acceptance from anybody.  Lastly our decks will continue to improve and we are up for any suggestions, but propaganda has been around throughtout the history of mankind there dani, you do what you have to as well and stay by your flagship.  Fusion Skate sucks... by the way BUY A RAYNE VENDETTA truely laughable.

these  boards look alright, why is everyone having a big winge about it? chill ur beans boys and girls. they just wanna make skateboards so let em make skateboards! obviously they are not in the 'downhill' market like most people here are, so they dont have to cater to ALL your needs. the shapes of boards they have fall into the category of 'longboard' or 'skateboard' so why hate? dont like it dont buy it, no need to be mean n rip on em...

K, I should clarify my position a bit.. I got no problem with the boards, in fact I actually like some of the quirkier ones, it's just bad form and even worse business to call prospective customers 'douche'. The word douche doesn't offend me, it just worries me that if thats the attitude of one of the companies principals, what happens if someone takes a leap of faith in investing in one of their boards and the board falls apart 2 days later? Can they expect to be greeted with the same arrogance? Cause I can't talk for anyone else, but that was the first and only lingering thought in my mind. So their team riders don't wear helmets in their shots, it's a little counter-productive, but so what? We're not here to judge that. Ripping on the talents of their team riders was pretty bad form and I in no way think that was justified or called for. Also, Trevor, I can possibly put your partner's douche remark down to passion for the company and feeling that he needed to defend it. To that I say, make sure he keeps a cool head or possibly step in yourself as you seem to be able to put your point across alot better without inadvertently offending. As for the "BUY A RAYNE VENDETTA" comment, that was a weird comment. Dani likes them, I hate their boards with a passion, so it's personal preference as your wheely board choice is a very personal one, you DO have to trust your deck as you're essentially trusting your life with it. Haters gonna hate, skaters gonna skate, so don't get upset, just keep building boards and providing good customer service, the rest will take care of itself ;). 

Jacko said:

these  boards look alright, why is everyone having a big winge about it? chill ur beans boys and girls. they just wanna make skateboards so let em make skateboards! obviously they are not in the 'downhill' market like most people here are, so they dont have to cater to ALL your needs. the shapes of boards they have fall into the category of 'longboard' or 'skateboard' so why hate? dont like it dont buy it, no need to be mean n rip on em...

Yo man, thanks for the response. You got me all wrong, I don't care if your riders wear helmets or bikinis, doesn't faze me at all. It may faze the general population you are trying to sell boards to though. It also doesn't faze me how good your riders are and like you said, so long as they are having a good time, that's rad. I can tell you though that a 15 year old kid who is into everything ''cool'' will look at your team who are grabbing stink bug and not wearing helmets and instantly not want one of your boards. Image is everything in product marketing. The fella that replied before said that he is the founder of the company but I also noticed that he is a team rider and on his profile is says his favourite riding style is downhill so a bit of mixed message there. Like I said though man, do what you gotta do. Think of me as devils advocate, what I wrote was the judgements that 95% of your target audience will make when they look at your website. They are not neccesarily what I believe or even what I care about but others do. Glad to hear your mate is OK, hope he recovers well. Just as well he didn't hit his head with a crash like that eh?

Trevor Adamson said:

Hey Dani,

My name is Trevor and I'm over marketing and in this case public relations.  I've read your post and you've made some very good points and some not so good points based on assumption.  To clear the air a little you will have to forgive my partner; however being able to produce a product and offering it are two entirely different things.  We can make a wake board, have we, no, we haven't so kind of hard to ride on one. I guess will give Alexander the benefit of the doubt on that one?  As far as "BIG" business we are not and actually are just now able to start hosting small events and flowing riders who would like to rep our brand.  So no Dani, our clear cut plan for world domination was not by breaking into the highly competitive and marginalized world of the skate industry.  I do apprecitate your concern for our friends and riders and will make sure that they are at least offered the proper equipment in the future.  I will however say that there are different riding styles and not everybody likes to ride down a hill (nor needs to) looking like there going to a daft punk concert.  Not to recently one are friends broke his arm, rib and punctured his lung (I highly doubt the helmet would have saved him that trauma, his head though was intact).  We are from all walks of life and have different interests like you, but share a common love for longboarding.  We have already decided to deal exclusively with longboards with the exception of a small line of street decks.  It has definatly been a hassle and would be hard to be competitive with all the different industries.  As far as our team we are looking for a few exceptional riders, but for the most part we skate with people that love to skate doesn't matter to us or them how "good" anyone thinks they are, we just skate.  That comment is probably the most difficult for me to understand and is possibly the most pretentious of all I read here.  We are not into this elitist theory that you have to be awesome or have to skate since you were one year old to have acceptance from anybody.  Lastly our decks will continue to improve and we are up for any suggestions, but propaganda has been around throughtout the history of mankind there dani, you do what you have to as well and stay by your flagship.  Fusion Skate sucks... by the way BUY A RAYNE VENDETTA truely laughable.

Dani,

No problem man I was just saying that there is a cause and effect to everything and the effect was my partner lashing out.  Regardless that was brash and nonetheless not professional, but we all do things that we regret so don't hold it against him. We are very interested in feed back from fellow skaters and potential customers and more often than not man will be some of the realist dudes you'd talk with.  Holtzy appreciate your comment and just let you know man the boards hold up really well and the only way to prove that of course would to put you on one. I've got a 7" ply drop through that I've had for 2 years that im only replacing because I need something more stable for sliding and downhill specifically.  Another thing is we were actually already in the process of building a new site before we saw this post which is kind of ironic, but most of the issues had already been addressed.  The new location will be fusionskateboards.com lol I told my friend a long time ago to drop the sk8, but he is also one of the primary designers and very talented when it comes to these graphics of which most are hand drawn first.  Lastly dani all is good but you posed the guestion is fusionskate a good company and then answered your own question? I figured you were a rep for rayne especially with the "buy a rayne vendetta" comment. I could have been wrong thats just what i derived out of it.  Anywho guy as for the helmets, we have them and its like pulling teeth to get people to wear them, but then again so is it to get solme people to wear there seat belts, but we will  definatly put more effort into that,  Thanks dudes.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Search

© 2024   Created by Bugs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service