ASRA - Australian Skateboard Racing Association

Thought I'd start a discussion about what equipment/techniques/ideas/etc. you all use to get the right shot when making those awesome skating videos.
it would also be a good place to ask any questions or talk about any problems relating to equipment, software, whatever.

Tags: Camera, Equipment, Videos

Views: 142

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

its nothing man, i heard a rumour on the freebord forum from a guy in NZ that they did something and that poped up a few days later, its so so so legit its crazy, the bar is getting so high with film making

Jacko said:
oh ok yeah i didnt watch till the end i got slow as fuck internet right now. i'll let it load and check it out. cheers for posting that
a camera housing with a housing ay? haha... yeah theres plenty of ways to protect your camera. the good old watering can method is primo. i think theres a guid somewhere on this site. Otherwise get yourself a GoPro HD, for around $400 u get a HD camera with a wide angle lense that is smaller than the camera you probably already have (with better quality) that comes with a crash case and a waterproof housing!
also if you want to mount your current video camera to your board you have to use a lot of dampening (if your recording onto tape) coz the vibrations will fuck it out...

so in short, get the go-pro. its way easier, safer and much better quality. plus u can put it on your noggin ;)

Brodie Brusasco said:
hey guys,
I am looking to make a skating vid but i just want to ask a few things first.
1. Can you make a camera housing, with a housing, that is able to withstand a crash and not break the camera.
2. What is the easiest way to make a board mount for cameras
Leigh you dont want the contour hd . They make u fall off . I should of fessed up when you asked me on the top of bathurst before i stuck it to your head. Spew,n i pushed the off button and missed the head first into the bales shot. Yeah posessed cam that one.
yeah i realised it didn't record when i got onto the bus. such a bummer. oh well.
is the go pro hd good for just normal filming other than on your head or isnt there an eyepiece thing to see where ur filming?
because the lens has a wide angle you just need to point it in the general direction of what you want to film and it will get it, its hard to miss... however there is no Zoom and you need to get close (not mega close but you know what i mean).
if you want to make videos with nice static shots and work with focus and zoom then thats a completely different ball game and need to get yourself a solid Handycam (or even a fully sick broadcast camera)

Jay Capellari said:
is the go pro hd good for just normal filming other than on your head or isnt there an eyepiece thing to see where ur filming?
thanks alot man.

Jacko said:
because the lens has a wide angle you just need to point it in the general direction of what you want to film and it will get it, its hard to miss... however there is no Zoom and you need to get close (not mega close but you know what i mean).
if you want to make videos with nice static shots and work with focus and zoom then thats a completely different ball game and need to get yourself a solid Handycam (or even a fully sick broadcast camera)

Jay Capellari said:
Ok guys I have a question for ye. I filmed a bunch of stuff in Aus before I came over here. I filmed it on a mates camera and had to give the camera back so I saved all of the files onto a microSD card. When I arrived in Euro I bought a card reader and hooked it up to Julias Mac. All of the files are there but I cannot play any of them Off the top of my head most of them have come up as .MOD files a few are something else that I cant remember right now. How do I convert the files into an .AVI or something watchable and savable. The ultimate goal is to save them and move them into Imovie for editing.

Cheers guys.
u need to download a converting program. what i usualy do when converting files is punch into the google search bar:
convert .FILE (whatever file you have) to .FILE bla bla bla... so for example 'convert .AVI to .MOV' and it comes up with either conversion programs or tells you how to do it with quicktime.
there is a program called MPEGstreamclip thats super awesome for converting video files but its also super tech and can loose you real easy if you dont know what to do. but you can also google search tutorials for MPEGstreamclip and it will tell u how to do it.

Dani said:
Ok guys I have a question for ye. I filmed a bunch of stuff in Aus before I came over here. I filmed it on a mates camera and had to give the camera back so I saved all of the files onto a microSD card. When I arrived in Euro I bought a card reader and hooked it up to Julias Mac. All of the files are there but I cannot play any of them Off the top of my head most of them have come up as .MOD files a few are something else that I cant remember right now. How do I convert the files into an .AVI or something watchable and savable. The ultimate goal is to save them and move them into Imovie for editing.

Cheers guys.
did u get that tutorial from the loaded newsletter? ;)

but actually dude, h.264 is a harder file to edit with, it requires more rendering. you want to export your edited footage to h.264 for uploading to the internet as the filesize is compressed but the quality is all there
yeah i have the same problem with my camera as well. everything comes up as .mod files when i open it manually on my mac. i used to use batch conversion on mpegstreamclip like jacko said but I could never figure out the best configurations so my videos ended up looking a bit crappy. But it does everything pretty fast and efficiently.

Obviously the best thing would be to get a hold of a camera, put in the sd card in it and download all the videos directly using imovie :)
Cheers dudes, I will give that a go. How do you upload straight from Imovie Ching, I didn't know you could do that.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Search

© 2024   Created by Bugs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service