ASRA - Australian Skateboard Racing Association

Anyone ridden the Talons? what are they like? would I be better off jumping for some Kooky's or Smokeys.

I'm looking to upgrade from my Holey's

Views: 126

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Talons are the most underrated carve truck on the market. They are superb (what would you expect from the maker of some of the best slalom trucks around). I have a set that used to be on an Insect Lightning Bug that I used for long distance riding/pumping and I have just transferred them to an Insect Mosquito (that is another story, but the best combination I have ever ridden as a carving/pumping/pushing board). I run a 55 front and 45 rear and they work beautifully together. I have Radikal Red bushing right through both trucks.

As a downhill truck I find them very twitchy. They don't get the wobbles so much as they dance all over the road and you really have to be on your game to stay with them. I think this is why guys used to find Aki von Glasgow (or however you spell it) so hard to pass, you never knew where he was going to be next.

My opinion, as a carving system, awesome trucks as a downhill system, you need to be awesome.

Cheers

A-Drain
What sort of speeds we talking here Adrian, I max out out around 60km, finding the holeys a bit unpredictable when i'm going my fastest, I have the standard bushes in them and the back truck cinched down a bit. I want something that will still turn but be stable and predictable at 60km and above as my skills and confidence increases.

Will use them on my Hairpins with 77mm speedvents or 75mm cotechs
howd my post end up above yours??????
Fletch, one thing to consider is having a less turny truck on the rear. For me that's what makes something feel stable. The Talons come with different angled baseplates so you can achieve this, but so do cheaper trucks like Randals. You could even leave the Holey on the front and put a Randal downhill on the back.

Other ways to achieve it - use a deck with built-in wedging (eg an Evo) or use rail riders to wedge your trucks.
Fletch said:
What sort of speeds we talking here Adrian, I max out out around 60km, finding the holeys a bit unpredictable when i'm going my fastest, I have the standard bushes in them and the back truck cinched down a bit. I want something that will still turn but be stable and predictable at 60km and above as my skills and confidence increases.

Will use them on my Hairpins with 77mm speedvents or 75mm cotechs

Fletch,

at 60kph they would be quite alarming in my opinion. As I said before they seem to dance around rather than stabilise. As Bugs said a Randal DH would be a better DH truck than these, but as a high speed carver they are excellent. I guess if you really wanted to run a set downhill you could run 35 degree plates and very hard bushings, but for the same money you could get a set of Smokies, Kahalanis or even the new Kookies.

Cheers

A-Drain
^^^
no they're not cheaper...but i just gotta believe they are more than worth it...hopefully they are sitting at the P.O. and i can get them tomorrow!...
or monday ;( .... 0.o

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Search

© 2024   Created by Bugs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service