ASRA - Australian Skateboard Racing Association

Ok dudes, I have to admit I skate Mongo and I am blaming that on the difficulty I am having getting foot braking down pat. I can do it while cruising no problems but with any sort of real speed if I place my foot on the road it sticks and my board and other foot go shooting off ahead while my front foot stays back which can be quite painful. Any other Mongo skaters out there please help me out. I have tried changing my stance but It just doesn't feel right after all these years. Even if your not Mongo give me some help before my nuts retreat ALL the way up into my stomach!

Peace
Dani

Tags: Are, Dani's, In, Nuts, Trouble!

Views: 109

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Fletch said:
I naturally scoot mongo but as a kid with long flat commutes learnt to push with both feet. I havent tried foot braking as the mellow hills i ride I can scrub speed through traversing and slides.
What are the various tuck methods? what are perdy's, can someone explain all the down hill terminogogy for us newby's

There's three major tucks.
American, Euro, Brazillian.
the names are sort of misleading as they get practiced by people from everywhere.

Euro is chest on front-knee, back knee behind and on front calf. Both arms on side.
This is arguably the fastest and currently the most common.

American is similar but isn't quite as low, tends to have a flatter back that euro.

Brazilian has the back knee bent the whole way to touching the board, and the arms sit out front with your shoulders sort of squeezed together, it's arguably the slowest in aero' terms, but lends itself to unique cornering and braking techniques that given the right road can make it faster.

Pendy is short for pendulum, it's a type of slide that goes beyond 90° to travel and then swings back to the original side. It's an effective way of shedding speed quickly - Though it's often a bad thing to do with other riders around you.
^^^
other riders tend to not see the pendy coming...something about being to busy concentrating....etc.... ;)

but yes, learning to pendy changes the way you skate 110%

as for tucks....

Brazilian

oh leady.... o.0

that was a NASTY mental image. Scuzzlebutt says that its got its name, like all other tuck names it is becuase of the roads the racers "grow up on" and then gets named at races by the others when they see more than one "american" who is american or brazilians racing in a "brazilian" style....

makes sense and its too prevelant a theory for there not to be 1% of truth...
hahahahhahaha....

i didn't mean to take it down! just that it was hardcore!
"...some kinda Rio Carnivale she-male..."

I'm not letting this be forgotten.
let the Rio she male live on in our memories....

*shudders*
i taught myself to footbreak before i tried doing anything vaguely fast. just found some steep bits of road, and practised. sliding at speed, especially in racing seems to be becoming a necessity. not pendulums as such, but speed checks into corners are an extremely effective way of slowing yourself quickly before a corner.
hey leady, yeah Melifont is "technically" starting to get some film together of our antics and stupidity....and no doubt it'll be in there somewhere, the squatty frog technique.... ;)

as for sliding/drift: the way it all made sense to me was to think about it as a controlled loss of traction and true steering.

i know that seems like its MORE complicated, but actually it makes perfect un-sense....(you know?)
Your controlling how fast and how hard you throw the slide, its a loss of traction and a pendulum movement that if you interfere with CAN get messy.

but you know what.....i'd rather pendy than try and bail, so i/we keep practicing...
when we speedboard, i skate brazilian, DK brake and love getting sideways....

i wonder if there is a link in all that? hmmm.....
Any good sites with details on the DH skills needed, cornering, breaking sliding etc?
silverfishlongboarding.com. as much as i hate that place at the moment, it has some really insightful threads on that sort of stuff. just do a forum search and you'll find heaps of stuff.
words on the net can help you only so much, and will never compare to going out and actually riding, practicing and figuring out your own style...
go find a nice corner and session it, each time go faster and faster and try drifting, then try foot-breaking and taking the better line, then try speed checking and so on...
practice makes perfect!
yep, jackos right, practise!!!!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Search

© 2024   Created by Bugs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service