ASRA - Australian Skateboard Racing Association

i was looking at buying some vault wheels. i  have heard mixed responses but apparently they are slidey. i was looking to put em on my freeride deck for sliding only? any advise on them? how long do they generally last???. cheers

Views: 3662

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've used vault wheels for a while so I'll tell you a bit about them: As a sliding wheel they are good- if you want to bust out some technical slides these will work fine because they slide like ice.

This brings up problems- they have no traction -> thus if you go a speed and try to carve or to take a corner you will slide out. If you are on a steep hill you won't stop sliding.

Lastly they wear very slowly never seen anything like it. I would suggest spending 30 bucks more to get some nicers wheels from boardshop.

vault has never been seen and never will be seen supporting this (ASRA/more than just wrongboarders) community. we are not their market as the bulk of us are far more interested in gear made for what we do. their target audience are the wrongboarder's who don't know any better and want a cheaper option of a "loaded" that can get them to uni. they don't care who buys their shit so long as it sells and frankly i don't care if they are the fuel for wrongboarding in OZ. but what i do worry about is them latching onto our community through kids who don't know any better and then undermining the stores we should be supporting.

again all vault are interested in are exploiting the longboarding craze which has been brewing for a few years in oz. in business thats all normal, but it makes it very difficult for the businesses who have done and still do all the ground work only to lose out through vaults exploits.

Also lets not forget the fact that their gear is SHIT. despite the low prices, the boards I've seen have come warped, cut wrong, drilled wrong and generally don't last long at all. Your "Malibu" board Mikey was the only board i've seen without serious problems. There was some bubbling of ply or something on part of the platform, but nothing hindering structural integrity. I personally wouldn't be happy with that, but at the end of the day thats what your paying for.

There was some vault prizes at the flood relief gig at musgrave park a couple of months back.

Jaxxon scored a complete. (Jez wasnt that thrilled)

Just like boards by Comet, Rayne, Landy, Lush, S9 then... all brands are guilty of churning out shit. The number of mis drilled Landys Ive seen, Warped Lush decks, wonky S9s,  Comets that literally fall apart, Wobbly Abec wheels, misaligned cores on Seismic wheels, the returns bin of siesmic trucks at the UK distributor is mindblowing, Otang wheels only last one run, or have cores made from soft cheese, Randal trucks that snap in the baseplate, Bear trucks that fall apart, or bushings that dont fit. The list goes on.

You are not wrong Leigh, supporting retaliers is crucial. But consider why those retailers stock the items they do. Is it cos they are good quality items? or is it simply because thats what sells.... We have the influence to decide what ends up on those shelves, cos we are the ones that buy shit. Australia could  have its own skate industry, and not need to be tied to the american umbilical cord, if the Aussie brands were given the chance to grow.
leighgriffiths said:

the boards I've seen have come warped, cut wrong, drilled wrong and generally don't last long at all.

yes, all brands churn out their duds, but every vault board i have seen has had some sort of SERIOUS fault (yours is the exception). the drop down (meant to be their downhill board) that Oliver got a few years ago was not only cut very wrong, but it was not designed for bombing hills at all. it was super thin, flexier than a dervish and the cutouts made the nose and tail so narrow that the ends just ended up snapping off. that is not a board that should be advertised as the "most stable at speed on the market".

yes i completely agree that supporting new Aussie made companies is incredibly important, but this brand has been leeching off longboarding for years now and they still have nothing to do with our side of the community. as i said, they make wrongboards for wrongboarders. they don't give a shit about who rides them and how, so long as their shit gets bought.

any opinions on their slide, slippery, slidey unpredictable??? and how long dothey generally last, do they wear quickly ect. ect
No they don't wear quickly- Very very icey wheels, only good as a sliding wheel. Slippery and unpredictable catch at high speeds.
Once you break in to the slide they lose all traction. Your board just slips out compared to something like an otang.
No that's untrue the vault wheels are way more icy and slippery. The thane doesn't breakdown like other wheels it retains a kinda smooth surface very peculiar. There are some abec 11 free rides for as 40 bucks shipped on the market place - thats a steal they are in good condition.
what do you mean unpredictable catch??
Usually with grippier wheels the wheels will catch allowing you to bring the board back underneath you (when sliding). With the vault wheels if you are going fast this doesn't happen - you slide and slide and you'll find yourself on your arse if you can't hold your shit together. They slide well but tooooo well - it gets old FAST
does that go for the 78 a or just 83 a mor both arent grippy enough

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Search

© 2024   Created by Bugs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service