ASRA - Australian Skateboard Racing Association

Has anyone got any experience they would like to share in constructing Bamboo decks? I'm talking type of bamboo sheet - dimesions, thickness, vert-lam, how do you approach the lay-up, etc.  I'm thinking of giving it a try.  Apart from China imports, is there a AUS distributor that is small quantity friendly?

Views: 3022

Replies to This Discussion

For sure Natalie - will do!  One thing to be careful of with the "ply" is to make sure you are clear what you want - that is - Vert-lam not actualy ply, as they also do 3 and 5-ply bamboo plywood - which is obviously made up of very thin veneers of bamboo, not a single layer of vertically laminated bamboo...

My bad, I was meant to say Vert-lam bamboo. I am sure that I want Vert-lam bamboo, around 1.5mm, the problem is, I don't know how many sheets I will need, I'm looking at around flex 2, but I checked out the loaded website and it doesn't really tell me the exact measurements, how many sheets etc. My brother's got a loaded tan tien that I've been observing quite a bit, and the board it self is only approx 10mm. But according to the website the board also has tri-axle fiber glass, carbon fiber and epoxy, and I have no idea where those elements come into the board + the bamboo, and its only 10mm thick! So if you have any recommendations, that would be awesome!

Hay Nat - reinforcement (Carbon Fibre, Fibreglass, etpoxy, etc) will be required with a Bamboo board.  Here's a couple of pics of my first go at Bamboo.  Just finished it off last night.  this is 3 layers of 2.5mm Bamboo PLY (not vert-lam) so all up just under 9mm thick before reinforcing.  There's 2 layersof Carbon Fibre and Epoxy on the bottom and one layer of each on the top - this was need to get it to a point where it was flexible much like a loaded deck (tan tien, etc)  It was really an experiment as I've never used bamboo before - I'll try and break it on the weekend if the weather permits! and provide some feedback to this group.  I think Vert-lam instead of the ply would provide a better overall result.  My son has a Sector9 Jakes Bamboo board and it appears to be made of 5 layers of Vert-lam bamboo about 2mm each - it's got just a bit of flex and doesn't appear to be reinforced (on the outside anyway!)

Deeks

Hey Deeks, thankyou so much, you are a legend, that is all the info I needed. and your board looks great! looking forward to hearing about the board if the weather turns out great. Il try and post some photos of how i'm going and free to comment on anything. 

OK - here's the finished product - not sure I'm happy with it... a lot of flex (for a fatty like me) but seems OK my 14 year old test pilot (son) - he'll give it a good workout tomorrow when the sun is up I expect...

Gotta say that looks pretty sweet, tell me how it goes then. What flex were you aiming for and how much do you weigh? cause I guess I can base that for my board as well cause im also gonna be using bamboo. I'm aiming for a flex 2, so hopefully its all good. I just ordered in a pair of paris blue steel 180mm trucks today, they look pretty sweet, and got some orangatang wheels which i think youve got there. But just wondering, where did you get your grip tape from, and if you don't mind telling me, but what was your overall cost in making the board, cause i've got a budget so need to make sure i stick to it. 

I would have liked it a little firmer than it is, but I think it's ok for up to 60kgs or so. (I'm 95kgs). I think the vert-lam would provide the right flex/stiffness combo. Yep, this has a set of old yellow Stims on it and Bear 852's. Overall this ones been a somewhat expensive experiment mainly due to the need for three layers of Carbon fibre and epoxy. Roughly:
$30 for the bamboo
$7worth of Titebond III glue (half a small bottle)
$60 of Carbon fibre
$30 of West Systems epoxy
$10 of Jessup grip
Got the grip from Trigger Bros in Frankston. They'll sell it for about $10 a metre.

Aight sounds good, thanks for all the info deeks! and did u use mdf boards to make your mould? cause i was thinking about using mdf, cause the wood doesnt have to be expensive for the mould i think. 

Nar. I use a vacuum bag and foam for the moulds.

Board looks great deeks, very clean and your carbon layup appears to be flawless.

The vert lam would be better for flex definately. The ply has %50 of the grain running crosswise which will be one of the causes of all the flex. The other is the carbon twill. I assume you used 200gsm. This type of carbon is really cosmetic only, while looking awesome it actually does little for stiffness, which I guess you just found out

Awesome deck nonetheless, well done

thanks for the info Steve - what would you suggest I look for in the Carbon weave department?  You are spot on with the type I used - its a 2x2 198gsm Twill.

how did the vacuum bag and foam mould go for you steve? cause would you recommend that rather then using an mdf mould with a clamper type thing to hold the mould tight together. and from what i'm reading i'm guessing I should use a different type of carbon that will actually enhance the stiffness so my board doesnt have too much flex. 

RSS

Search

© 2024   Created by Bugs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service