ASRA - Australian Skateboard Racing Association

Has anyone got any experience they would like to share in constructing Bamboo decks? I'm talking type of bamboo sheet - dimesions, thickness, vert-lam, how do you approach the lay-up, etc.  I'm thinking of giving it a try.  Apart from China imports, is there a AUS distributor that is small quantity friendly?

Views: 3022

Replies to This Discussion

Looks good Deeks, Is that all vert lam bamboo veneer or is it actually a bamboo ply. I know where to get 1.5mm vert lam bamboo veneer if anyone is interested. Kinda costly though at $70 a sheet. pm me if interested

Thanks Steve - it's actually Bamboo ply (2.7mm and 5 plies) - i was actually after the vert-lam stuff and i think I ordered the wrong (or was given the wrong stuff) but decided to make a go of it.  It was about $60 for a 2400x1200 sheet so in the same realms as you mention - I still want to try the Vert-lam gear as well so I may be in touch if the local Plyco guys can't do it - i think I need to go to their larger Fairfield warehouse where most is stored as the joint close to me is a lot smaller and has to order it down...

@Thomas - no it was sold as 2.5mm and is actually 2.7mm according to the micrometer.  3 plys totally just under 9mm thick.  The 2400x1200 sheet is about $60 and you'll proably get enough for 2 decks out of that - BUT it will defintiely need reinforcing as it's waaaay too flexy without it!!

Thomas said:

That looks good. Think I might scrap the birch and use bamboo depending on price. Im guessing you used 4mm. How many plys did you use and what did they charge if you don't mind me asking.

Hmm sound like a good deal for two  boards. How much is glassing (not including getting a respirator)?  

you probably won't need a respirator so long as you're in a well ventilated area....(garage, shed, etc)  I use some more exotic reinforcements like Carbon Fibre and Kevlar, but they are pretty expensive - standard fibreglass matting is quite cheap (maybe $20 for a square metre) and a good epoxy will probably set you back about $35 (including the hardener) for 500ml which would be plenty.  I use West systems 205 resin and hardener but I saw FGI in Springvale (aka Nuplex Composites) have their own brand which is cheaper than that so I might nab some and try it.  The West systems has virtually no smell (unlike the crap you will get at Bunnings - Diggers I think it's called which stinks and is shite - it's a polyester resin)

Thanks Deeks. Do you by anychance ever go to Fitzroy?

@Thomas - nope, Fitzroy gardens I'm assuming you are talking about...?  I get into Eureka CP regulalry with my son... and to Hemley but other than that I'm down mornington way.  Can't wait for some bitumen to be rolled out (very soon apparently!) on the new Peninsula Link.

Hi Deeks, love the build!  So how did you end up going with the lay up? Cross grain long grain, and are you using the carbon fibre just to reduce flex or is it also needed for strength.  Wondering what combo of veneers would produce the firmness and strength without needing the glass.

Hey DesignerQLD - as the sheet I got was already a 5-ply, I just laid it up long-grain.  The CF will be for both strength and to reduce the flex as it's too flexy right now...!  I've seen Adam of Skatement use hardwood veneers like birch on the outside of a couple of vert-lam bamboo cores to great effect.

Hey Steve, just read that you know where to get 1.5mm vert lam bamboo veneer and i am stoked already to here that someone knows where to find this cause I have been looking everywhere but they never seem to have anything less than 2.0mm. If you can tell me that would be great cause im trying to make a similar board to the tan tien and finding bamboo around here is that hard.

Steve said:

Looks good Deeks, Is that all vert lam bamboo veneer or is it actually a bamboo ply. I know where to get 1.5mm vert lam bamboo veneer if anyone is interested. Kinda costly though at $70 a sheet. pm me if interested

Hey Natalie - welcome to the group!  As you are in Melbourne (like me) you could try Plyco (www.plyco.com.au) their website doesn't show thicknesses below 4mm in Vert-lam bamboo but they can get 1.5mm, 2mm, and 2.5mm apparently.  I'm heading off to see them (again) in the next week or so - I see what their prices are like.  they are in Fairfield and Mornington.

Deeks

Hey Deeks thanks for the welcome! I just checked out the website and it's great. They are able to do 1.5mm, 2mm and 2.5 like you said. you just go on this bit of there website http://www.plyco.com.au/index.php?main_page=cts and it gives you a form where you just fill in the type of ply you want, what size, length and thickness etc. When your back from  visiting them, wanna flick us a reply and tell me how it went?

Cheers, Nat

RSS

Search

© 2024   Created by Bugs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service