ASRA - Australian Skateboard Racing Association

Just for the Groms who dont seem to see the need to wear helmets, I am interested in people answering the following (I would like to make it a poll, but that doesnt seem to be an option).

Please choose from:

• I never wear a helmet and have never hit my head
  • I never wear a helmet and have hit my head
  • I always wear a helmet and have never had a use for it
  • I always wear a helmet and It has saved me
  • I always wear a helmet and It has saved my life

18 months ago my answer would have been:

I never wear a helmet and have hit my head.

After the above, I started wearing a helmet...

Now my answer is:

I always wear a helmet and it has saved my life.

Yep, I headed the warning and it saved my life 6 months later.

Views: 262

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

One thing i see way too often is fuckwits wearing lids with the helmet strap dangling an inch from their chin. If your not going to do the farken thing up you may as well not be wearing one...

it is worrying seeing guys bombing hill in those soft foam skate park helmets, i've only just bought one from Hopkin so i dont have to wear my hard/esky foam one when i'm riding at slow speeds.

any other opions on this?

Trav said:

why did someone have to mention helmets on a psychotically pro helmet forum?

most people started skating without helmets and now most people now wear them pretty much all of the time.... move on.

More of a concern nower days i think is people bombing hills in soft foam half lids....thanks to OS vids it seems to be the latest trend to downhill in a half lid....

I've done a DH run once in my half lid and felt far sketchier / unsafer doing that compared to having a roll at a skatepark without a lid (not that i do that anymore)..

number 4 for mee!

Fullface for downhill for me.

Lid for freeride.

slide gloves are essential whenever your wearing a helmet. If you at risk of brain injury, you should be prepared for prevention.

Protec Lid for Freeriding.

MX Helmet for DH.

Slide Gloves all the time.

i take my helmet with me wherever i go attatched to my bag. when i get to the spot im skating its straight on

I have knocked myslef out clean 3 times. All 3 times were in skate parks as a teenager without a lid. Never put one on even after those incidents because none of my crew wore one and I didn't wanna stick out like a sore thumb.

I have had two crashes in the past  years longboarding which have seen my helmet hit the ground. Both were bad enough to give me a headache and sit me out for the rest of the day, I was back on the board the next day (with a new helmet).

I always were a helmet, has saved me from a few hard knocks skating, saved my life snowboarding.

Woke up once when I was 15 and saw the sky and then a large group of teenagers hovering over me like I was some freak - it could have easily been nurses or angels if I had hit harder.

Like Dani said, as a teenager it is hard to break out of the crowd and put a lid on when no-one else has one. Easy now that I am an old bugger  and don't care what people think.Like another has said, it like putting on seatbelt now.

A few  have mentioned  about switching between the two main types of helmet. I am interested to know what people think is the line, maybe its speed, between the open face typical skateboard type and a full  face when hitting hills?

I've been knocked out twice in charly's before so I'd hate to imagine what'd happen if I hadn't  had in on.

always wear a helmet even if I am just goin to the store, worst crashes I've had were at low speed.

The thing that gets me is people who say ''you can still be knocked out or do serious damage in a helmet'' which is certainly true and was proved in a Australia a couple of years ago. Seems like a strange attitude though. I can also say that serious damage can be done whilst riding in a car with a seat belt on. Would that stop someone from wearing a seatbelt though? Of course not. The idea is to take every preventative measure you can to help ensure your personal safety and minimise the risk to yourself.

Condoms are not 100% guaranteed to prevent pregnancy of transmission of STD's. Doesn't stop people using them though to help improve their odds.  

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Search

© 2024   Created by Bugs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service