ASRA - Australian Skateboard Racing Association

Pics by Patrick Switzer from LBHaven. http://www.lbhaven.com

New features this year (I told him what they were and he translated the whole thing to an understandable English haha!!)

- 2008 models have a bamboo bottom ply with new graphic
- Devil's Toy models are still being made as well (Revenger and Smoothcut only)
- Smoothcut's are 10ply
- All drop thru's except the smoothcut and hairpin are under flush mount
- The Revenger is drilled new and old skool

Switchback (same concave as a Hairpin)

Comishin (underflush)

How to turn a mistake into a new sweet deck:

Some shots from Kebbek HQ

This is what he wrote about Kebbek:
"I'm honored to have this opportunity to first hand get an appreciation for just how
much work there is put into making a longboard.

Kebbek's standards are high and their reputation even higher."

Views: 473

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

that is heaven right there.
i'm loving the design of the switchback. i love the hairpin's concave.
Cool insight ito great quality and riding boards.

leighgriffiths, what setup are you running on your hairpins? I have the same one as in the pic signed 1/18, not sure ther was only 18 made, maybe only 18 signed
my best mate rides a hairpin. i just love how intense the concave is. really locks your feet in. he's now running randal 35 back, grizzly 50 front. works really well. he loves it.

Nice grip-tape job!

I like the simplicity of the Hairpin, but the concave is a bit abrupt for my size 11 feet. Randal 35 on the back and Bear 50 on the front would make it work really well though.

Thanks Quidjam for the report on the Kebbek factory - great to see how it looks on the inside. The competition between Kebbek, Rayne and Landyachtz in the speedboard market is really driving some great designs. That's the cool thing about this part of the skateboarding world - in the short-boarding world they compete on graphics and image, but in long-boarding it's much more responsive to the needs of actual riders.
leadfoot- The guy in the pic is Patrick Switzer, from LBHaven. He is an awesome rider and a nice guy, finished 2nd at Munnsville this weekend.
I got a new Comishin. Because it is now underflush instead of dropthrough, I changed my wheels from 83mm to 78mm (Sector9 Race Formula, god feeling!!), added an extra sole on my shoe and I don't feel the difference when I am footbraking, it is just as low.
Fletch- 19 of those boards were made. Limited edition. Keep it. Wish I had that board when I ride Westmount, I always get lost!!!!
From what I've heard, the Switchback might need some risers or you'll get wheelbites!!! I tried AJ's set up with 1/2'' risers (a bit to high for me) and super loose trucks, kinda feel like a snowboard (from what he says).
Re: Signed Hairpins, makes me a little reluctant to set it up now. Westmount looks like an awesome place to skate. .

I have been using my PPS ditch killer, holeys, 77mm white speedvents or 70mm flashbacks for most of my ridding around my area, the kicktail is handy for sharp turns and a surfy feel.

However I do want to set up a more down hill carving specific board, the reason I bought the HP in the 1st place. Maybe I shall leave it on the wall and get another to ride or Quidjam, maybe we could arrange a trade or something as I feel this board should be used in it's intended area
Fletch said:
Re: Signed Hairpins, makes me a little reluctant to set it up now. Westmount looks like an awesome place to skate. .

I have been using my PPS ditch killer, holeys, 77mm white speedvents or 70mm flashbacks for most of my ridding around my area, the kicktail is handy for sharp turns and a surfy feel.

However I do want to set up a more down hill carving specific board, the reason I bought the HP in the 1st place. Maybe I shall leave it on the wall and get another to ride or Quidjam, maybe we could arrange a trade or something as I feel this board should be used in it's intended area

I would not want to ride a limited edition deck either, keep it, it is better in Australia than in Montreal. If you want to set up a carving downhill board, I would suggest a Caften with 35°baseplates, white JimZ bushings and 80something mm soft wheels. Good feeling, I am telling you. You can carve pretty good and bomb hills and it is still stable. It will be higher than a Comishin so you can go over speedbumps and even sidewalks if you don't mind scratching the bottom a bit.

Westmount IS an awesome place to skate, pretty dangerous at some places. Big potholes like you have never seen it, super cracks (you might leave 1 or 2 glove pucks in them!!). There is this one crack you ALWAYS feel, it is soooooooo big. When you have the good line in that hairpin, you have to take off you hand at a specific time or you'll hurt your fingers like never before. And at every session you will loose some skin/blood in Westmount, even if you have been riding for 10 years. Will Brunson, Raggie and Patrick Switzer experienced it last week!
Awesome shots, thanks for posting!
It also manages to also give one of the best side-by-side comparisons I've ever seen.
Fletch said:
...I do want to set up a more down hill carving specific board...

Are you more interested in the "carving" part or the "downhill" part? In other words, is it making turns at moderate speeds (up to 50km/h), or is it bombing hills at higher speed?

If it's carving that you're interested in (with a little light bombing), I'd recommend a Loaded Dervish. They're kinda flavour-of-the-month (or year), but they do really work and they're a lot of fun. Get the stiffest flex (Flex 1) unless you're a lightweight (<65kg). And get Randal 180s, Paris 180s, Tracker Fastracks or Gullwing Chargers to go with them. This is a really standard setup, but it works!

If it's faster speeds and a more downhill-oriented setup you're after...well, that's another big question. Something like a Comishin (or any of the serious downhill boards) seem to only come alive once you hit about 30 or 40 km/h. The Hairpin is a bit shorter than most downhill decks, so it'll be a bit turnier. The Comishin...depends what trucks you match it with. And that's true for just about all the downhill boards.
Some people like Loaded boards and other don't, try one before you buy!!!

Bugs, the Comishin doesn't need to go over 30/40 km/h to come alive! With all the respect I have for you, this is FALSE!!! I have been using this deck for 3 months as a city cruiser because I am a lazy person who does not like to push from really high. It works perfectly in the traffic, and I ride it to the point where my deck almost touches the ground when I turn!!! Lowered decks are common cruising setup here, fuck S9 with their topmount fiberglass boards and 70mm wheels, nothing to survive the Montreal potholes, cracks, construction sand/rocks and whatever else. We need tanks to ride this city!

Another point: the Hairpin is NOT a DH board, I would not suggest you hit over 60km/h with that, at least your name is Brunson and you are crazy. As it name says, it is more a board to practice technical corners at moderate speed, perform stand up slides (with the crazy concave) and carve around. Finally, as Bugs was saying, the wheelbase is a lot shorter, which means it is more unstable at higher speed.

Personally, I only ride a Comishin and it works perfectly for me, I start knowing this deck now! (and all my other boards accumulate dust!!)
As a cruiser: Force C7 with JimZ white bushings, super loose. Abused 83mm, 75a Flywheels (they don't grip anymore, I can slide them anytime).
As a DH board: Bear Grizzlies 10mm hanger with JimZ Black Bushings, super tight. 76mm S9 Race Formula, 78a.
It's just a difference in perspective. I'm used to slalom boards where you don't have to even think about turning - you just dart anywhere you want. For me, downhill boards really are unresponsive at slower speeds.
True about the perspective. Bugs 1, Quidjam 0. Forgot you were a conehead, normal you don't feel a speedboard turns under 30/40!!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Search

© 2024   Created by Bugs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service