ASRA - Australian Skateboard Racing Association

Well I am here on Kangaroo Island. Primarily here for work at seal bay but of course Downhill is high up on the agenda to. Now that I have my licence back I am able to explore the hills of this place properly and try them out. I will try to get some decent photos and evaluations of the runs in case you should ever visit this fantastic place.

Peace
Dani

Views: 23

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, heres the first. Magillivray Rd about a 15 minute drive from Kingscote (the main town). Approaching this hill in the car is incredible, it looks fantastically HUGE and extremely daunting but never fear. Once your at the top you can start to see the different levels on it and it is quite makable. It's nothing really special in the sence that it's not a technical run and certainly not the fastest but it has plenty of potential! Talking to a local farmer today who has lived on the island all of his life, he says that he can never remember this road being unsealed (rare for the island as most roads are gravel) and he is in his mid 50's. This means that for 50 years this road has mainly been used for trucks and tractors and as you imagine they take a pretty hefty toll on a road. Soft wheels are the way to go, my orangabangers were bouncing all over the shop and my legs felt the vibrations. Wobbles are fairly easy to get but they are reasonably easy to control which is good practice for staying relaxed during wobbles. The upside is that the trees on either side create a wind tunnel which gives room for an incredible tail wind but that being said, when you have a head wind, you know about it. A good fun hill for 3 or 4 runs on the way to the Honey farm or the Eucalyptus Distillery but not the kind of hill your likely to spend an entire day on with a bunch of mates. I would give this run 6 speed rings out of 10.

Peace
Dani
thats awesome dani. great photos too. are there many good windy runs on the island?
Yea lots of runs along the coast. Gotta pick your days with them though making sure its a tail wind.
wow - very cool.
kangaroo island - i had to look it up online to figure out where it is. looks like an awesome place.
do you work in the conservation park dani?
Excellent, if you ever have the chance to come down here take it. It's a fantastic place. Voted the best Island in the Asian pacific recently and ALOT of number 1's inn variouse tourism awards. Yea Im currently working at Seal Bay and Cape Wiloughby lighthouse as an interpretive officer, which is just a fancy name for tour guide.

Peace
Dani

Ok ladies and gents, Hill number two. On your way out of penneshaw you will discover this hill. First thing you will notice is the big REDUCE SPEED sign, next you will notice TRUCKS APPLY BRAKES, thirdly you will see the 11% gradiant sign and then you will begin to hurtle on down the hill. A reasonably short run with only one left hand corner but FAST and you will pick up speed extremely quickly. Surface is not to bad, it could be better but it could be worse aswell. This is a good spot to session with mates and spend half a day rocketing down.

Peace
Dani

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Search

© 2024   Created by Bugs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service