ASRA - Australian Skateboard Racing Association

Has anyone got any experience they would like to share in constructing Bamboo decks? I'm talking type of bamboo sheet - dimesions, thickness, vert-lam, how do you approach the lay-up, etc.  I'm thinking of giving it a try.  Apart from China imports, is there a AUS distributor that is small quantity friendly?

Views: 3022

Replies to This Discussion

what Nat said...  the bamboo ply is OK if used in conjunction with something else (like a hoop pine ply) - keeps the deck light and springy, but only the vertically-laminated (aka vert-lam) will provide the stiffness you are after.  If you look at a Rayne deck end-on you will see the vert-lam bamboo in use.

so, all i do is just contact plyco and get some 1.5mm vert lam bamboo? combine that with the carbon fibre and it will have no flex?
thanks for the help!

Deeks63 said:

what Nat said...  the bamboo ply is OK if used in conjunction with something else (like a hoop pine ply) - keeps the deck light and springy, but only the vertically-laminated (aka vert-lam) will provide the stiffness you are after.  If you look at a Rayne deck end-on you will see the vert-lam bamboo in use.

yes and no...  If you can get your hands on Vert-Lam - great.  how you lay it up and how thick will determine the feel of the deck.  If you can get 1.5mm VL bamboo, how many layers were you contemplating using?

hey jordy, like deek said, it really depends on how many layers your gonna have and what else your gonna have with it. this is the layered setup for the board i'm about to make:

---------TOP-------------

WOVEN FIBRE GLASS

VERT-LAM BAMBOO

WOVEN CARBON FIBRE

BIRCH PLY

VERT-LAM BAMBOO ---------------MIDDLE-------------------

BIRCH PLY

WOVEN CARBON FIBRE

VERT-LAM BAMBOO 

-------------BOTTOM------------------

sounds good Nat - be keen to see it during and after layup... :)

so you were able to get vert-lam from Plyco?  great news!

yes i did, thanks for the help with that! I am ready to do it soon, just still waiting for the glue to come in:) heres some photos to show my dummy runs and etc

natalie thaipun said:

yes i did, thanks for the help with that! I am ready to do it soon, just still waiting for the glue to come in:) heres some photos to show my dummy runs and etc

that is awesome Nat - keep us posted!

i'm not too sure,  i guess as many as it takes for the least amount of flex. if you cant tell i'm not very educated on board building.
what nat is doing looks pretty cool, where did you get your birch and bamboo from? 
like you deeks i get my resin and fibreglass supplies from nupol composites, works pretty well so far. 
i've also got some sample bamboo coming in the mail from bamboo oz, ill see how that goes. they said that they have 5mm sheets but are able to cut them down to 1.5-2mm if needed. might be something to check out.
Deeks63 said:

yes and no...  If you can get your hands on Vert-Lam - great.  how you lay it up and how thick will determine the feel of the deck.  If you can get 1.5mm VL bamboo, how many layers were you contemplating using?

OK - what Nat has there is actually a Bamboo PLYWOOD (it's made up of 5 plies of bamboo each about 0.5mm in thickness) - it's good stuff, but the flex is off the chart - it does, however work very well when using it with somehting with less flex (hoop pine, birch, etc plywoods also of around 1.5mm in thickness - it provides nice "snap" while keeping the deck lighter than if you used just hoop pine or birch plywood.  the FG and Carbon will help with the stiffness significantly.  Plyco do a single layer (1 ply) bamboo, but only in 4mm or 5mm thicknesses - Jordy - if someones willing to run a sheet like this through a thicknesser to take it down, then great - the thing to watch for with vert-lam 1 ply is it snapping along the laminations if you try for too severe a bend.  As usual, post your results so we can all learn!

Your right when you say it can snap, most of the problems i have had is after the deck has been shaped and finished and i have delamination under torsion load so a lot of my testing the last few months has been with blanks, what can this luge or deck take before it gos and the rider gos bang, and when we are talking life and death i will not let my team riders test untill i have done my home work,let alone pass it on to my customers .  Lots of my orders just cant be done and people get the shits when i say that will look like the best deck in the world but i will not do it,

Im getting close to haveing it 70% core wise with alturnate block stave/torsion box on longer decks drops & Buttboards  useing 5mm and biger (it was all the go in 1980s snow skies) That will still look like the best  timber deck you have ever seen, and ride that way at speeds over 100km into a drift, im getting there, untill i do,i just keep testing and riding,

2013 race core decks out soon ( With vert lam Block Stave Bamboo)

Cheers 

Mark

Custom Boards

First pic 2013 Bamboo Deck Custom Boards

RSS

Search

© 2024   Created by Bugs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service