ASRA - Australian Skateboard Racing Association

Radelaides senior skaters are stepping it up a notch. Groms beware!

This was posted on our Adelaide thread yesterday after Mikey Rivers had a horrendous crash. After what happened in Sydney on the weekend to with Matty Ado has asked that I post this on here in the hope that senior skaters all over will think about it and maybe put a similar plan into action. Mikey is still in hospital with a broken shoulder, arm, ribs, vertebrate and a punctured lung. He is lucky to be breathing and he is lucky to be walking (or he will be anyway).

''Ok. Mikey had a really bad crash today on hayward. He ended up in the guard rail shoulder first at 60 or so. He likely has a broken arm, ribs and something wrong with his hips/pelvis. Thank someone that his back seems to be ok. It was probably the worst crash I have seen and I have seen many.

Mikey is an experienced racer/rider from England. He has ridden and competed all over the world and is a very capable skater. Still though, this shows that one mistake can really have a huge impact and everyone is capable of making them no matter the experience they have. Luckily for us we had phones to call ambulances, we had friends around, we have first aid knowledge and we had the common sense to call the Ambulance instantly. If this was two kids walking up the hill with no car, possibly no phone, no water, no medical supplies things could end a lot worse.

Leigh, Bow and myself are now stepping things up a notch. My stomach turns just thinking about what could happen to young, inexperienced riders on certain roads in Adelaide. I think many or most of you take this sport much to lightly. If you bugger up a turn and hit a car, post, cliff edge, pile of rocks or anything else you can and most likely be seriously injured. People have died riding downhill and unfortunately, more will in the future. I would be absolutely sick if anything like this happened to anyone in our community.

We now have a list of roads.

1.Hayward

2.Corkscrew

3.Mt Osmond

4.Norton summit rd (not the pins, they are fine)

5.Pole rd

6.Greenhill

These are roads that we know you grommets have been skating. We have people telling us who skates roads they shouldn't and every video you post up we watch. We will recognise these roads and from now on we will pull you up on them. Anyone caught riding these roads in the future or if we hear of anybody riding these roads in the future, will be banned from future South Australian events such as races or freerides. You will never ride with any of us, we will never invite you to sessions with internationals or interstaters, we will never reccomend you for interstate races that require our approval (such as BTS) and we will encourage others not to ride with you.

Skating down a hill is one thing. Most people can do it. Skating in your lane is a step above. Skating safely when something unexpected happens is something you will only learn over time. Cars in your lane, trying to pass you or tailgating you. Animals jumping onto the road. Someone crashing in front of you. These are all things that very few of you have the skill or knowledge to deal with.

If you think this is unfair, tough. Laws prohibit kids and teens from smoking, drinking, driving, film and television content and a lot of other things. Your parents prohibit you from certain places, activities and other things. This is the way the world works. Kids and teenagers have an opinion that they are invincible. You are not. I believe that the 3 of us are obliged to look out for your safety. As far as the law is concerned, we put ourselves at risk for under age kids every week. 

The RAG's were all selected (have to talk to intense squad who we overlooked with the list) as groms we skate the listed roads with regularly and believe are up to a safe standard. If you wish to skate these roads with us I would suggest hooking up a session with a few guys from RAG's and they will let us know of people who are skating at a high level. It will then be up to us to invite you to a session and see how you go. You will not get to a weekend session with us by sending us facebook messages.

It is shitty that it has come to this but we have a lot of things riding on the line currently. The Willunga boys are still in the midst of their court case and it is predicted to carry on until June. Daily Grind and myself are finalising our council proposals for regular road closures in Adelaide and Duff is currently working on having a particular road closed also. Not only is seeing a friend crumpled up in a guard rail screaming at the top of his lungs with unthinkable pain one of the worst experiences ever but it put's many other things and risk.

Skate safe, skate within your limits, wear your helmet, do the clip up and watch out for one another.''

Views: 234

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

hamish there are plenty of spots and runs around the place that are the perfect median between corner seshing and runs like hayward, you just need to look around and take the time to go there, build up a rep, and when your good enough you can go with the big boys and shred haygnar and cork, n shit. but not pole, ever.

I see where your coming from Hamish and we want everyone to be capable skaters. Like I said in the post, skate with some of the RAG's and if you stand out then they will let us know. They are our eyes and ears in the world of smelly groms at the moment.

Leigh, Bow and myself have hundreds of kids asking us constantly to go on sessions with them. We get to skate maybe 3 times a week and although we would like to skate with everyone, it's just not gonna happen. When we do skate we wanna ride our favourite hills and need to know that the people we ride them with are not gonna ruin us or themselves.

Go sesh with Lobby (if you dare) he has spots.

Yeh I know how hard it must be for you guys....
But if i skate with lobby he'll probably end up wiping his balls on my board again ;)
Maybe you can give a few of us some good spots??
And where's pole rd? Iv heard the name but havnt seen any of it before...

hook up a sesh with your cus hamish. 

Hey. You took my wheels off
Last person to do that to my board paid a price far worse than yours ahaha
There's spots and runs all around. Go sesh one. Or find a steep road near your crib and just bomb it and slide to stop
It all counts
And Sean
I wanna see you shred some time
You would rip
i always rip.
touche'
myself and geoffrey originally doing exactly what every grom out there is doing now, we spent hours looking for roads and half of them were shit rough ones where we wasted our days, but eventually we got a level where we could skate with the 'big boys', we put in the hard hours of finding spots and honing our skills down day after day, put in the effort and you will get results but for now, asking where spots are to go skate is stupid honestly, its not that hard to go out and find some of your own or go skate a few with your mates, if we could do it the groms now can do it if not better with their iphones with google maps on them and shit

HI folks. Mikey 'Guard Rail' River here.

Thankyou for starting this thread. I would like to add some of my own comments.

do not underestimate Hayward.Hayward is Dangerous. Its is fast and it is blind. It is also narrow. it is aslo very techincal. While I am comfortable skating down it for fun, I would never 'open up the flood gates' and ride it hard (unless it was closed and had haybails). I skate that thing in 'safe mode'. Last sunday we were having a brilliant day of skating. had done a few runs on hayward, good fun sunday runs. On one run I was out in front for a chage, coming in to the fast bottom section I got a bit of a twitch. ( I had been riding twitchy all day, I have  twitchly sketchy style but usually I never have any worries) However, I got the twitch rite on the blind corner, I could not risk crossing the lane to even the twitch out, I could not risk bailing into on coming traffic, and I knew Leigh was behind me and I did not want to risk a collision with him, so I bailed into the grass, steering myself as I slid with hope of avoiding the guard rail. I was unlucky. I do not know how other people would have dealt with the same situation, but I feel my decision was the safest.

The skaters that were there did an outstanding job of helping me, we are brothers now. I thankyou from my heart for helping me. I felt safe with you around.I am in your debt. THANKYOU

I would like to ask anyone that skates hayward to wear a fullface. OK so I didnt actually hit my head at all in my crash, I will be wearing a full face every time I skate hayward.

I absolutley agree with the motion to restrict grommit access to spots. I think its great that groms are getting out there, and are so spoiled with such good hills and a commuity of good riders to look up to. I say this coming from a  country where there are VERY FEW good hills, constant rain, and a community you can count on one hand. But, I am old enough to be a father, and I would not let my kid skate some of the Adelade spots. These are Advanced hills, you need FULL competance to skate them safely. I respect Nate for choosing not to skate Osmond on sunday, he felt in his own mind that he wasnt ready. He made a good choice.

The Hills of adelaide are world class. No doubt. I am stoked to feel welcomed into the DH community, its great to get to ride with you guys. it is very rare to have such a number of high quality spots right on your doorstep!

I look forward to getting back on my board and riding with you again soon. While I am recovering feel free to drop in for a visit/beer!

Best wishes

Mikey

Good to hear your back Mikey. I will hit you up for that brew sometime soon!
yeah good to hear from ya mikey me and leigh came by the other day but you were getting x rays done, will try pop in sometime, your in our hearts and minds mate speedy recovery 
Yeah thanks dre, I got your note. Gutted I missed you. Swing by my place if you get the chance, appreciate it!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Search

© 2024   Created by Bugs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service