ASRA - Australian Skateboard Racing Association

For everyone keen to get a race on Willunga hill next year only positive people please

Views: 107

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Freakin sweet idea Matt. We'll see you there! Yeww
4500 hay bales at newtons for a 1.3km track at $6 a bail rented = $27,000 how long is the hill?
and there are ALOT of turns.... you will have to put hay-bales on every one of them. Your nearly going to have to put bales down the entire road, only leaving out the straight parts
no one is ripping it down... just pointing out things that need to be looked into while organising/talking with council.
i guess it depends on how you look at what is written, read it back in a positive tone of voice and you will get a different idea of what was said
this is one of the main reasons organizing a race is a very long and grueling process... once you realise the cost involved it can become really sketchy. Its not that we're trying to shut you down and saying "oh its too much you cant do it" thats not what we're trying to do at all, its just an early heads-up of the cost.
I've been to races and ive seen how things get organized and one of the major factors is safety. And the main way to ensure a safe race is to put in hay bales. The next thing is figuring out where to put them, you have to asses where all the crash zones are, particularly on the corners... Newtons Playground was a different situation, because against the side of the track was 1.5m of solid concrete wall... the whole way down. so to minimize injury they had to line both sides of the track all the way down.
With a track like Willunga you wont need to line both walls, only the outside-wall of each corner, so when i said you will have to put bales down nearly the entire road that doesnt mean both sides... therefore HOPEFULLY the cost wont add up to $90,000....

now i really hope we're not coming off as negative here, i know everyone is keen on getting races organised but you do have to realize there are some major hurdles to jump, and all we are trying to do is give a little bit of heads up so when the time comes everyone is prepared for them
i can see where u are comin from matt, because atm you ARE doing all the work. but we will work to spread the load so dont feel too much pressure. everyone is tryin to be helpfull but it does make it look like a lot of work funneled into a small time period, and in a way it is. but we should get our heads together then start pulling it apart from there. and on that note. icant do sat im workin at 4 damit!!!!
If you want profits from the event to go to charity, and something like the starlight foundation, you will have a 200% better chance of getting this event off the ground. I think thats a great idea matt, and i think you guys should really work around a charity event... sponsors love to look like they are giving money to sick kids when you think about it...
Thats why i suggested a meeting Leadfoot, so everyone can see if they can help and what they are willing to do becasue no 1 person can do this on their own.

To ease the burden of the hay bale issue is simply a matter of running part of the hill instead of the whole thing. Just because the hill is 3k long doesn't mean we have to race the whole thing. As Jacko said most races are around 1.5k long but there are exceptions of course. As for the cost of the bales, im sure we dont have to "buy" the bales because not only are 90% of them not going to be touched but what are we going to do 4-5000 hay bales after the event? Im sure we could find someone who is willing to let us rent them for a fraction of the cost and we pay for the ones that are damaged.

At the end of the day i think it will probably come down to the council and the insurance co. as to how many bales are needed for that road but i would say that bare minimum would be every corner, every guard rail completely covered and the whole of the main street lined end to end and 2 bales high as well as a waist high rent a fence type setup to prevent people sitting/crossing over the hay. This is where the crowd will be, and with standups reaching 80 and luge up to 100kmh it's what will be required to stop a flying board in the event of some carnage.

When you go to a race like newtons or an IGSA event you really do appreciate the hard work, effort and sheer man power that is need to pull an event off and thats why it was 8 years between events here in Oz. But there has never been more interest and a more determined bunch of riders that are willing to give it a go and if the Onkaparinga council says no then we move on to another because there are plenty of spots as good or if not better to hold a race.

It's now or never if you ask me, it may not happen til 2010 but it can and will happen
Can't do sunday sorry Matt. Got church, yeww! I'm loving the charity idea! Oh and the other day, I did happen to notice that the massive shed up the top of Willy Hill.....it's full to the top with hay bales. Just putting it out there.
Can't do Monday night either. Or Tuesday for that matter. Then it's Christmas eve. Then it is Christmas. Then.....hell knows when would be a good time haha. Just quit your job Bow haha ;D
Good call, wait for Leigh and leave it till the end of the silly season.

Yeah will do Matty
My earlier question was simply trying to highlight for you what your most significant expense will be. By no means am I trying to discourage you I'm just giving you an indication of some of the not so hidden costs that need to be looked at early in order to get things off the ground. Its not that you need to have these costs covered you just need to start at the right angle.

The title of your thread should include constructive people because to deny that will have you floating along getting positive pats on the back for approaching a council. Problem is that many people think its a great idea to have an event and will talk alot about it but never really get off their ass and put what might be two years of solid work into it. Your not going to get very far with this if you strike out at the first person that puts in a realistic question about something you may not have been aware of.

The reason ASRA only has X amount of events each year is because of the time involved in producing a gravity event. If a footy club want to play a game they rent an oval for $100 for the day in a place with established amenities. We need to create and build these things from scratch. All this costs money and time. What we need is people like yourself and others to put time into creating other events of which I am always supportive.

What I'd like to get across is the kind of work you will need to put into it. You will likely need 6-8 guys working 3 hours per night after work for 6 months prior to the event, so you need to get the right people with the right skills involved. From an ASRA standpoint we can pay for the insurance for your event, meet with council with you or on your behalf to lend credibility and weight to your proposal, give you risk management plans and general guidance. However what we can't do is be the event organising team.

The key is to link with organisations that may gain from the exposure eg SA tourism board, local chamber of commerce, local council and get them to pay for things like hay bales, security guards, traffic control. If 200 people show up for 4 days and spend $150-200 a day thats $120000-$160000 given straight back, if these people have family or it is attractive for spectators you start looking at a half mil given back to local business as cash immediately. These people do not understand skateboarding but they understand commerce. Sponsors will not pay for hay bales but council might.

You talk to council first about what you would like to do and what is possible and then you look at how you can value add to that eg. link it with a local event, run skate clinics for the local youth, create exposure for the area. There are alot of state and federal grants a council can get to run these things at which point they commission you to do it with their grant money.

So if someone says something you haven't considered then just take it on board or ask for more detailed info because it will get you closer to your goal. I'm telling you this because these are the things we encounted trying to get Newton's off the ground

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Search

© 2024   Created by Bugs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service