ASRA - Australian Skateboard Racing Association

After receiving Haggy's email asking for ideas/suggestions for next year's Newtons i thought i'd start a thread for everyone to voice their opinions. Once again a big big thanks to everyone who made the event possible. Robbo the video setup was awesome and something that i have only ever seen at the X Games and Red Bull DHX that had million $ funding, so to pull it off as well as you guys did was brilliant.

Anyway my sugestions would be

- Christmas tree start lights with a buzzer, the pull cord has lots of room for variation as to when riders interpret the start. Do you start when the cord passes you or when you see the fingertips from the starter flinch? Start ramps would be good, they were there last year. Maybe we could get them back again.

- Bands and/or DJ up at the campground would add a bit more atmosphere for the crowd and riders.

Thanks again guys and gals.

Views: 175

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Robbo said:
Sorry that was an option I meant to include. if we could get transponders we could do open practice and qualifying at the same time as in F1. People would do runs all day in 4man lots and we would collate everybody's lap times for qual results. these transponders are used very widely in many sports

One problem - people could organise draft-trains to get themselves better times. Unless that was banned (and policed).
wow thats a sick idea

Merrick Wildash said:
Dani said:
Im sure that next year we could organise to get the bottles taken back to SA, deposited for 10cents each with the money (after petrol costs) going to the ASRA fund.

Now thats thinking. Vote one for Dani!!
This is just a thought, and me playing devil's advocate Robbo, but the situation could arise where the practice period turns into a "race" situation, creating a greater possibility of crash's and in turn slowing the whole process down. Riders in the 4 man group would be jostleing for position to get their best personal times, if all four were sent at the same time. Faster riders who had a slower push would be trying to pass slower riders, and in turn the faster guys could possibly be held up giving a false qualifying time as compared to their ability on an "open" track where they could open up and not worry about other riders.
With the use of transponders, send riders off at 20 second intervals.....this would get riders flowing at three per minute, give them an open course and the higher speed qualifiers shouldn't have slower traffic affecting them.

Just throwing this thought out there guys,

Robbo said:
Sorry that was an option I meant to include. if we could get transponders we could do open practice and qualifying at the same time as in F1. People would do runs all day in 4man lots and we would collate everybody's lap times for qual results. these transponders are used very widely in many sports
The problem with sending 1 per 20 seconds is if you get someone who crashes in the dipper infront of you then you will either catch them when they are pushing off again or in the straight towards forest. If you are behind them you then have to worry about how they are braking, how much, what line they are taking all of which will alter your time that would otherwise have been better on a open course.
Fair comments, Dani, and thats where the flag marshalls/radio's come into play to advise the startline Marshall of the crash/when to send next rider. In the old days we were sent every 15 seconds, and that seemed to work really well. The reason I proposed 20 seconds was to take the Dipper into account, ie, the rider should be through in 20 seconds, and if in the event of a crash the startline could be notified by the time the next rider was due to be released. As I said, purely playing Devil's Advocate for the sake of the discussion and to give as many possible scenario's for everyone to think about.

Dani said:
The problem with sending 1 per 20 seconds is if you get someone who crashes in the dipper infront of you then you will either catch them when they are pushing off again or in the straight towards forest. If you are behind them you then have to worry about how they are braking, how much, what line they are taking all of which will alter your time that would otherwise have been better on a open course.
If they crash, they could be required to stay off the course until Tête de Course calls a break to reset the bales.

Sending riders down in 20 second intervals will be tricky, best to send them when an appropriate part of the track has been cleared.
The all clear for the next rider could be given at the dipper, but the flag marshall before Forest Elbow will need to be on the job.

Dani said:
How about a fun final "king of the mountain" race between the top luge, classic and standup?...times seem to indicate not alot of difference.
That'd be awesome Leon! Nice thinking.
Leon Smith said:
How about a fun final "king of the mountain" race between the top luge, classic and standup?...times seem to indicate not alot of difference.

Skateboarders start much faster cos of their push, yet lugers have a higher top-speed. Cos the times are similar for each I imagine the race would have the skaters way out in front for the whole way, with the lugers maybe catching them just before the finish line.
Start ramp with a no push rule?
That'd be awesome to watch. A ramp would give to much of an advantage to the lugers. Because as bugs said the times are similair.

Leon Smith said:
Skateboard is 3.5secs ahead at the dipper and 1.5secs ahead at the waterfall on a push start. The times join up just after the elbow.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Search

© 2024   Created by Bugs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service