ASRA - Australian Skateboard Racing Association

This is the new thread for the regular sessions that our crew is having.

This is for all those wanting to hook up for a skate in the Newcastle area.

All are welcome, beginners through to pros, come have a sesh and help spread the stoke!
The crew is small but welcoming and wanting to expand.

the current regular session is:

wednesday nights 7:30pm meet at Charlestown Squares Myer carpark for some garage racing / shredding and then onto maquarie hills for some longer runs if people are keen.

The garage run is about 6 tight full spirals down into a tighter and steeper switch back at the bottom.

The Maquarie Hills run is just a 1km gentle sweeping hill max speed only being around 35km/h when not tucked, so its quite comfortable for newcomers.

Leave us a message if you want to meet up or have a new spot for us to session.

My Number is 0434149226 call me if you have any questions or would like to meet up for a skate.

Tags: charlestown, charlie, gnarly, local, murrays, newcastle, newy, sesh, session, skate

Views: 773

Replies to This Discussion

PM sent Phil.

Phil Bartlett said:

are you guys serious? you need to learn to control your speed!!!!!  this is not a fast hill, however footbraking skills are essential. and if you are swerving around all over both lanes of the track when there is people trying to over take you, you deserve to be yelled at, complaining about bike riders going fast on the bike track is like people in cars complaining about us being on the road, stupid. at least every bike rider can stop!!!!

BJ and Andrew, the next time you are on a longboard, you should be learning footbraking, and you should be seriously thinking bout makeing some gloves too.

you dont have to do what I say, its a freeworld, but I 'd feel irresponsible  if I didnt voice my opinion.

I hate sounding like a safety nazi, its just some thing that is so simple to learn that will make you so much more confident about hitting hills, and you can learn to foot brake in about 5 mins flat.

Bernard Robinson (BJ) said:

I did the same thing the first time. HAHA.

Had to walk back to the oval.

Glad you like the board.

Did you carve it or just bomb it?

I carve hard to shut down the speed when I want to stop. Have to watch out for oncoming traffic and LYCRA LOONS that want to overtake on their bikes doing 60 on a bike track. My 7yr old son got yelled at once by one of them for going out of his lane. He soon shut up when he saw me though. Should ride the road if they want to do that speed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andrew M said:

Rode the Fernleigh yesterday from Whitebridge to Redhead. Two pushes at the car park the didn't have to push again till Redhead. You build up a lot of speed along the old station at Redhead and not any good bail out sections. May need to get some slide gloves, overshot the pick up point at the soccer field by 500m.

The new  Landy Switch rolls like nothing I have seen before.

Andrew

Bernard Robinson (BJ) said:

Andrew. Be careful of Fernleigh. looks like a good place to start. But it is narrow with plenty of bikes & people and fences both sides. If you come across a group of people coming both ways and you can't stop, it can be a bit hairy. Took the kids there a few weeks ago on pushies while I skated and came across a 6ft diamond python slowly making his way across the track. Almost stretched the whole width of the path!

Andrew M said:
Hi guys - just read Bernard's last post. I'm similar situation, 42 yrs old, just started again. Getting a Landyachtz Switch for xmas, not allowed to ride it yet. Will catch up for a ride over xmas break. I'm in Whitebridge, will start on Fernleigh track and work up from there
Andrew M

+10! haha

Tom said:

ahhaha i didn't even realise it was a hill, i thought my tuck was just that aero that it propelled me on flat land.

p.s i'm free again next sunday from 11am-3pm, i'll be skating with a few noobs at fernleigh then move on from there after a run or two.. keen BJ?  if anyone else is would like to join just send me a text on 0447455886. the more the merrier! just remember to stay in your own lane and footbreak when necessary!!

I want to clarify that it was my second time a a board for 30 years and i wasn't use to the speed. Compared to old school boards i use to ride todays boards are so much faster.

Also-

My son who was yelled at was going around a group of people having a talk, so he had to go onto the other side of the track. We were riding back after we had ridden down. This LYCRA LOON was coming down the track doing about 60 and didn't want to stop for anyone until i stopped him and gave him a mouthfull for being a tool. No one was on a board.

Possibly Steve. I might be sailing that day. Not sure until my mate comes back from hols and I can find out when we start again. i will let you know. Cheers.

Steven Rose said:
p.s i'm free again next sunday from 11am-3pm, i'll be skating with a few noobs at fernleigh then move on from there after a run or two.. keen BJ?  if anyone else is would like to join just send me a text on 0447455886. the more the merrier! just remember to stay in your own lane and footbreak when necessary!!

ok, ran the fernleigh again this evening in a more controlled manner.

I made some slider gloves at work today, used these and foot brake and could pull up safely. Skated with my brother in law who bought a Globe board on the skateshop sale. Ended up going through to Jewells as half of the run is downhill.

Happy days ...

Andrew

we have about 5-6 people for the fernleigh run so far, it's looking pretty good, there will be a half decent chance of some puddles and maybe a tiny bit of light rain so be sure to clean your bearings afterward :D
Im keen for a run once i get my knee fixed up etc, lol so give me about 6 months or so
the fernleigh run has now been moved to monday, for anyone keen the meeting spot is McDonalds Kotara at 12:30, chill there till 1 incase anyone shows up late and then heading up to fernleigh for a 10min push to about 4km+ of dh. funfun!
Can anyone recommend a medium speed hill to about 50 k, that is at least 1k long with no sharp turns, little traffic, smooth, near newy that would be good for noobs and groms?
Yeah I know I am possibly asking the impossible.
PM me with the details if you know somewhere. I will not let anyone else know and am willing to be shown by others if it is a regular spot.
Once we have done groom school and they have shown they can handle it, I want to expand the skating for the kids. If they are keen.
just be careful not to whore the spot , you don't want any unwanted attention from mr. policeman when you rock up!
Not a chance of that. I have read too much, and know not to compromise a good hill.

Steven Rose said:
just be careful not to whore the spot , you don't want any unwanted attention from mr. policeman when you rock up!

RSS

Search

© 2024   Created by Bugs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service