ASRA - Australian Skateboard Racing Association

2 years on from the last ASRA run event, im hoping the Mt keira will once again be the Aussie world cup hill and a world class event.

whos in charge at Asra to keep this a possibility? whats being done to make it happen? does ASRA need any help, theres plenty of people ready to get in and do the hard yards but we need time and confirmation of the event. 

that said i too will be organising an outlaw to coinside with the event, that way any international riders might get a bit more bang for their buck making the huge trip to Aus. 

where is asra at on mt keira preparations? 

Views: 760

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm down to volunteer if necesary

when and where is the next AGM?

Rob asked:

whos in charge at Asra to keep this a possibility?
No one in charge anymore....it is a shared responsibility!, and someone needs to pick it up from where it was left off. 
Time for an AGM and new board members to preserve the great legacy created by Bugs, Haggy and Robbo, Hop, Pete, Greg, and those many people who helped over the years
whats being done to make it happen?
Nothing...no succession planning has occured.  Time for an AGM and new leadership.
does ASRA need any help, theres plenty of people ready to get in and do the hard yards but we need time and confirmation of the event. 
- yes but what ASRA really needs is new team to carry on from the previous leaders.

where is asra at on mt keira preparations? 

You are ASRA....so ask where am I on the Mt Keira preparations!

And another thing.......it is no good posting events and event reports on facebook, and shop-blogs without copying the reports here.  We need this site to be kept up to date and relevant...otherwise the government will continue ignore you and your sport, and your only option is to stay properly lubed and bent over for the roller-dancers pleasure!

Facebook has made you all lazy and stupid, and none of you can see that your history is being lost in the waterfall of crap and adverts, and your association has lost its way!

i hear ya bernie, just  a comment on the last bit bro, i run outaws and am at the different end of the organizers spectrum, im quite happy the gov not reconizing the sport, we can still play dumb come the time cops show up and we usually get away with it. some years have clocked over an event a month and i believe its an important aspect of the racing scene. facebook gives myself a platform to attract riders and direct response for the sponsors.  asra does not.

so what do we do then, wait for the AGM and talk about maybe next year? or keep on buggin the boys to do one more event hahahaha, would be good to organise the next event as a passing over of the reins, teaching more people the systems from, timing to talking to officials and event management.

Rob,
We need you on the board.
We ALL need to keep posting events and event reports on ASRA.

I just got a call from a council that want to close a road for a new downhill race. 
This is the government recognition that I am talking about. 
SbA would never support any down-hill events, and would tell that council that they are not interested.
unless you get involved, the next NSO for skateboarding will not either.

You want outlaw events....we need outlaw events...and we also need legit events at the lowest possible cost.
Having a central calendar and an active organisation that reports its history in one location is the key to getting council to close roads for you at no cost.

I can no longer find out when and where events are because no one puts the vents on the central ASRA calendar, so I cannot tell councils when not to have an event that will clash with another event, and there is nothing worse than putting on an event, only to have the skaters go to another event on the same day.  Facebook simply cannot match the central event calendar!

Don't forget, me using both the content on the VSA & the ASRA websites to promote downhill to people in government got Mt Donna Buang closed....not Facebook!  I cannot use ASRA anymore because you have ALL let it die.

Today Robbo called the council......still we need another date for a meeting to get the secure YES. I'll try to keep updating whats happening. But yeah as always (like anywhere in Australia) these things always need heaps of steps and meetings and approvals...etc etc .but the good thing is that ASRA is contacting the council and following those "steps"  they wont post anything until the council gives them a clear approval for the event (and you have to keep on reminding and following these guys: the council i mean) so at least they are there following the council and behind them bugging them until we get our YEs.

I am down to help get shit done, Whats going on? when could a AGM be called? how can we get some people nominated?

from what Bernard says an AGM needs to be called and there needs to be enough of us to take responsibilty of ASRA and get some action happening.

Maga McWhinnie said:

Today Robbo called the council......still we need another date for a meeting to get the secure YES. I'll try to keep updating whats happening. But yeah as always (like anywhere in Australia) these things always need heaps of steps and meetings and approvals...etc etc .but the good thing is that ASRA is contacting the council and following those "steps"  they wont post anything until the council gives them a clear approval for the event (and you have to keep on reminding and following these guys: the council i mean) so at least they are there following the council and behind them bugging them until we get our YEs.

rob said: awesome!! will be super supportive of helping any way I can to get this a reality.

Maga McWhinnie said:

I will make myself available to do as much as i can 

I am a relative newcomer to the skate scene so take what I have to say however you want.

As a younger person (still 19 so not a grom) nobody my generation wants to come onto a clunky old website if they can possibly avoid it, when every event has a Facebook page and everyone finds out about them from there, why do the riders need to?

I'm not being negative with no purpose however. If you want this website to show everyone the strength of the aussie scene you have to make it relevant again. Integrate more with Facebook, post all the events and promote them on your page as well as posting them here. Put on more "ASRA sanctioned" events, basically get back out there, because nobody is going to come hunting for this unless for some reason they need money or to somehow seem more official as it is.

So basically, make ASRA relevant again and more will come here. Integrate with Facebook don't reject it, get the name back out there and get some community involvement again.

Just my 2c.

Nathaniel,
Thanks for adding to this.
Facebook integration is not rejected, but ASRA will need a volunteer to help modernize the site.

As to Everyone finding out via facebook, that is the big misconception, and we have too many examples of far too many people missing out on finding out.
Since facebook became a real business it is getting harder to contact everyone without paying.

Agree 100%, the way to make ASRA more relevant is if people actually give a shit about posting events here first, then linking the event to a facebook event.  That way you get both the new generation and the luddites. 

Also events need to be on ASRA to qualify for rankings (we need another volunteer to help with the rankings data-base also)

So until we get an up to the minute, fully integrated site, we need everyone to hold off on writing off ASRA as a lost cause, and put up with this clunky old site, and post your events here first.  Look beyond the old website, look into the heart of ASRA, and you will find it is made up of skaters that broke the ground to give you a sport that you enjoy, and a new generation, of skaters like yourself that actually give a shit, and although it would be really fantastic to have the latest on-line no one in the heart of ASRA really needs a fancy pants website to share the stoke.

Post events here, RSVP to events here, retain your history here, make American facebook shareholders rich...over there!

Book-mark this link:
http://www.skateboardracing.org.au/events

Then use it to stay up to date, and you wont need to spend much time on this site.

The other thing, that works for event planners, is having the centralised calendar of events, that does not rely on "likes" or "friends", and lets you make sure that your event does not clash with another event.

So if you only ever post your events on facebook, you might miss out on the fact that a much better event is on the same day that your event is on.  Both you and the organiser of the other event will suffer low attendances, and that can really suck if you have sponsors counting on big attendances, and it can suck even more if you paid to have a road closed and only 3 people show up!

While we are on the event Calendar......we need another volunteer administrator to make sure events do get posted, cause the current administrator looks like he needs to share the load.

Don't forget, "likes" are lame, commitment is rad!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Search

© 2024   Created by Bugs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service