ASRA - Australian Skateboard Racing Association

Myself, jasper marshall, chris hardy, and james hunt were all skating eagle on the hill a hill which most on here would have heard off, we get pulled over by a police officer and here is the story...

http://www.sapolicenews.com.au/more-news/4642-skateboarders-and-par...

I thought i would share this bullshit arrest and opinions

Tags: adelaide, arrest, court

Views: 3228

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Legislation before consideration. I think we know where we are safest. On the road where upcoming traffic wont hit us. If we are all responsible for taking due care, then riding on a road where there is a car ONCE every 5 MINUTES (!!!)  in an area PUT ASIDE FOR RECREATIONAL USE is probably the place we should be. Where there are fewer than 4 driveways within the whole 2.5 ks.??? Good points for safety IMHO.

Its not like we want the hill for ourselves. It can always be there for traffic. Its just an un- used highway.

DUH!!! IT'S WHERE THE SKATERS BELONG!

Because cycling is first and foremost a form of transport rather than a sport, and cyclists predate motorists as transportational road users, and cyclists are formally classed as vehicles under the road rules.

The police mindset for incidents like this is "kids playing in traffic", and they naturally think that's totally wrong and dangerous. The way forward is to get them to understand that it's more like "serious athletes pursuing their sport safely on the road". I think comparisons with sports cyclists is helpful in those terms, although the law is not on our side (and I know that in this case the charges are ridiculous and legally dubious to say the least).

Bozac said:

i've always wondered why cyclists can still use the road when there are velodromes scattered around the country specifically for that purpose? If we can raise awareness that downhill isn't something done in a skate bowl we may get somewhere

I would really like to know, where were the cops when a car drove in the opposite lane straight at my on my way home. Where were the cops when I got a glass bottle thrown at me by a drunk driver who was speeding late at night, where were the cops when the fight at the train station broke out and someone threatened to kill me with their knife (I had rung the police 10 minutes prior, but nothing) and where were the police when the drug dealer was sitting in his car, then abused two girls (obviously drug addicts) walking home from school all the way to their door and then yelling his head off at their front door...

Shit needs to be sorted...

Longboards are also a form of transport, you see people all around the CBD banging on longboards as their mode of transport... the police just don't see us as a legitimate sport that is worth the hassle, that is why we have to hassle them

It's how I get the the train station and work! Break three laws a day!

Jayden Mitchell said:

Longboards are also a form of transport, you see people all around the CBD banging on longboards as their mode of transport... the police just don't see us as a legitimate sport that is worth the hassle, that is why we have to hassle them

can get the ABC reporter that did our last story. 

matty leadfoot said:

I want to be in on this, if one of the channels asks to interview you. Send them my way please.

0415 750 093

Definately, i think she needs to interview alot more people this time though not just skaters but parents of skater, people involved in the skating community and skaters ranging from grommy groms to pro's and get our full side of the story

DAILY GRIND said:

matty leadfoot said:

I want to be in on this, if one of the channels asks to interview you. Send them my way please.

0415 750 093

Bro

lets get together outside of shop, have a chat, make some plans and finally sort this shit out. I am so angry and sick of this harassment TIME FOR ACTION IS NOW!

matty leadfoot said:

Legislation before consideration. I think we know where we are safest. On the road where upcoming traffic wont hit us. If we are all responsible for taking due care, then riding on a road where there is a car ONCE every 5 MINUTES (!!!)  in an area PUT ASIDE FOR RECREATIONAL USE is probably the place we should be. Where there are fewer than 4 driveways within the whole 2.5 ks.??? Good points for safety IMHO.

Its not like we want the hill for ourselves. It can always be there for traffic. Its just an un- used highway.

DUH!!! IT'S WHERE THE SKATERS BELONG!

i was gonna send her an email this arvo but was just too busy. but yeah im 90% sure she will go with it and do some of that.

Jayden Mitchell said:

Definately, i think she needs to interview alot more people this time though not just skaters but parents of skater, people involved in the skating community and skaters ranging from grommy groms to pro's and get our full side of the story

DAILY GRIND said:

matty leadfoot said:

0415 750 093

if it wasn't for the qantas drama hogging the news the hack program on triple j might do our story. Maybe push longboards as a form of transport since most longboard buyers aren't buying one for downhill but a way to get to school/the shops etc

isnt reporting them for"riding recreational devices without due care for other road users" calling them vehicles? i know the road they were on is illegal so why would the cops just report them for that? Some people love abusing power!

Hey Sean and Matty! I m in as well! finnishing exams soon so will have plenty of time to devote to the cause!

Bugs said:

Skateboards aren't classed as vehicles, so this is irrelevant. According to the road rules a skateboarder is basically a pedestrian on a "wheeled recreational device". Some roads are legal to skate on, and others aren't. Roads with a median strip are definitely illegal to skate on. It doesn't matter how you were skating on them.

w. morph said:

some good news on the changing lanes front, in south australia the laws only require you to indicate long enough to signal your intentions to surrounding traffic. that means if there was no traffic in your downhill lane when you were changing lanes you are not required to indicate and therefore are not riding without due care!

the australian government needs to reognise that this is a serious sport and that we are serious about it the ASRA community needs to stand up and fight for our rights to skate

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Search

© 2024   Created by Bugs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service