ASRA - Australian Skateboard Racing Association

Thanks for signing up. What are your thoughts? Does the site make sense? What do you think would make the place more useful or easier to understand?

Tags: meta, ning

Views: 1249

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There are 2385 members, you can check it out under the People headline up the top of the page.

Is it possible to have a 'Join as an official member' link right up in your face?  I only really reasised that you could be a paid member when they said it at a race!

I think it would get some more people chucking out some money for it!

Yeah Tim, that would certainly be possible. I've never wanted to be too spammy about asking people for money upfront, and I've always been concerned to ensure that people didn't think it was necessary to pay in order to contribute to the website, so it's interesting to hear your point of view.

Hey Bugs,

not too annoying, but the new embedding codes don't work for You Tube videos (iFrames)

Old ones still work though (Objects)

On youtube you can specify to use the old embed code instead of the new iframe code.

yeah yeah that's what we use... iFrames are the future though :-p

just kidding

nice job on the marketplace redo

G'day, thanks for putting together a great site.

I have some suggestions:

When looking at events, it can be quite hard to know where the event is roughly.

For example, I live in Greater Sydney and when I look at the events, there is often no indication of state or region.

Perhaps a region/state system could be introduced that would not compromise the secrecy of the locations, enabling people to search more efficiently for events in their region.

Secondly, have found the new marketplace better in concept, frustrating in reality, but think this could be resolved.

The main issues I have noticed are these:

1. There is no back button once you enter the actual ad, there is no way to go back to the same list you were just looking at. This means that every time you want to view an ad, you go into the ad then have to go back to the marketplace and you start at page #1 of the ads again, rather than the page you were previously on

2. You can't actually tell what page of ads you are on while you are in it

3.While apple clicking in firefox on the ad, it won't open a separate tab for some reason, this is especially painful when added to the previous problems (apple clicking generally opens a new tab, not sure why it doesn't work here?)

4. Can't search by location/ state

These are just a few little things I have noticed while using your site.

I love the site, great resource for skaters.

Keep up the good work.

Scott, thanks for your considered thoughts. I'm in general agreement, but unfortunately I don't have total control over the software platform, so I cannot necessarily make all the changes I'd like.

Re event locations, I agree it would be great to be able to filter your view of events by location. Imagine them all plotted on Google Maps - you could zoom in on an area to see the events there. Unfortunately the best you can do at the moment is use the search field on the Events page, which is a bit hit and miss due to the inconsistency with which people describe the location of their event, which they might describe as being located in Sydney or instead in a suburb of Sydney, like St Leonards. From now on I'll try and exercise a bit of editorial control over Event locations, and make sure they contain the name of the nearest big city/population centre.

Re the marketplace, again I agree that the concept is great but the reality isn't great. I have no answer for your first three issues, but regarding searching by location, you can type a location in the Location field, and it will filter the ads for you.

Again, thanks for the considered feedback

Maybe a note that informs users/members not to post photos or vids of people skating without safety gear on would be a good idea, possibly in the upload window

Cheers Bugs,

As I said, the site is great.

Love your work mate.

Thanks, Scott.

Bugs said:

Scott, thanks for your considered thoughts. I'm in general agreement, but unfortunately I don't have total control over the software platform, so I cannot necessarily make all the changes I'd like.

Re event locations, I agree it would be great to be able to filter your view of events by location. Imagine them all plotted on Google Maps - you could zoom in on an area to see the events there. Unfortunately the best you can do at the moment is use the search field on the Events page, which is a bit hit and miss due to the inconsistency with which people describe the location of their event, which they might describe as being located in Sydney or instead in a suburb of Sydney, like St Leonards. From now on I'll try and exercise a bit of editorial control over Event locations, and make sure they contain the name of the nearest big city/population centre.

Re the marketplace, again I agree that the concept is great but the reality isn't great. I have no answer for your first three issues, but regarding searching by location, you can type a location in the Location field, and it will filter the ads for you.

Again, thanks for the considered feedback

Yep, that's the result of a software upgrade. The fonts were a bit messed up, with a few too many sizes, so I just rejigged them - I think it looks a bit better.

sweet beet said:
forum sidebar looks groovy-er

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Search

© 2024   Created by Bugs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service