ASRA - Australian Skateboard Racing Association

theres gotta be a few under 18's here.. post up your photos and vids. ive got no idea how good other 17y.o's are. what speeds you guys hitting?

Tags: 18's, junior, speedboarding, under

Views: 156

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Narr well it comes up with all those readings as well altitude and altitude accuracy even. And i can download my daily map where i have been onto the computer.
I have used a video of a run and google earth to work out average speed between two landmarks, building trees etc.
you guys r trippin on this GPS talk,altitude has fuk all to do with gps accuracy,gps is the most accurate form of,speed,time n distance calculations known to man,doesnt matter if your 900miles out to sea or on top of a mountain,gps does not lie,
yeh gps is updating your position shitload of times per second[not sure exactly its just heaps],thats the go guys get a gps watch like jacko said n you will surely know..cheers
Nick, I'm with you. If the GPS doesn't measure altitude then it will underestimate your speed. Nice diagram.

I'm familiar with bike speedos - they work by having a magnet on the wheel move past a sensor on the bike fork (somewhere on the hanger on a skateboard). Basically it counts every revolution of the wheel, and multiplies that by the circumference of the wheel to get your speed. Because a bike wheel is quite large, inaccurate measurement of the wheel circumference is likely to be insignificant, but skateboard wheels are small so it'll throw things out significantly.
i thought all gps took in all those factors,?the gear im used to using does.,Because the unit updates its position so often i thought the alttitude difference would be that minimal that it would have such a small effect on true speed readings. i might be the one trippin!! please dont hesitate to correct me if im wrong!?not enough buttons n functions for me those watch style gps, sean your gps is skater proof,dont know anyone whos got it goin,
if you get a GPS to measure your speed (like a sports GSP) its going to definately have the altitude and take into account those factors which you would think are inaccurate... the only GSP i could think of that wouldnt not be able to accurately calculate speed is an early form of GPS used to find your way around in the bush, lookeds like several bricks cemented to each other and weighs 50,0000 tonnes... i doubt you will be taking that down a hill with you on a skateboard.

back to the main point. ride your skateboard or die
I remember a few years ago there were two sorts of GPS systems - those that measured altitude and cheaper ones that didn't. Maybe they all have altitude monitors now? I'm a bit out of the loop with the modern technolomology.
if you can get a GPS on your phone then im pretty sure a propper sports GPS u get in the shops will have everything... the one i got was just like a watch, and it records everything... i can even take points and use them as a start line and a finish line then record the track i want to skate, then race my own times... it can even display a track that im running and show me my 'ghost rider' (best time) as a small black triangle and the 'current lap' (me riding) as a white triangle if i really wanted to get tech. Then i can pull that information off and upload it onto my computer and look at it as a graph and map it against like google maps or whatever map program it comes with and get accurate readings of where i was fast and where the altitude dropped or whatever... and that is the most basic of basic GPSs on the known market (pretty much)

but the main point was, you can never get an accurate reading of your speed by going off a car's speedo... you can get close but there will always be a 5-10k error depending on the speed your/the car is traveling. trust me i would know...
Sector 9 made a downhill board with a built in speedo above the front truck in the 90s that used magnets .

Bugs said:
Nick, I'm with you. If the GPS doesn't measure altitude then it will underestimate your speed. Nice diagram.

I'm familiar with bike speedos - they work by having a magnet on the wheel move past a sensor on the bike fork (somewhere on the hanger on a skateboard). Basically it counts every revolution of the wheel, and multiplies that by the circumference of the wheel to get your speed. Because a bike wheel is quite large, inaccurate measurement of the wheel circumference is likely to be insignificant, but skateboard wheels are small so it'll throw things out significantly.
My understanding is that a GPS triangulates your position from 3 satellites - which ,without going into the maths of it, means that altitude is taken into account.
Just been reading up on your posts, and is are any of u in the gympie region? cause me and my mates all 15-16, and couple of us do speed boarding? Highest official speed i have got is 64, only time i had a GPS to hold, have gone to almost 75? "guessing" and yes, gps's use 3 satellites to work out your speed,

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Search

© 2024   Created by Bugs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service