ASRA - Australian Skateboard Racing Association

I mentioned this briefly to some of you at the Outlaw Madness, that I would love to hold an Ultraskate event, that is a 24hour skate, usually to raise money and awareness for a worthy cause. Here is the site that usually organises it: http://pavedwave.org/

The next one is slotted for the weekend of 25th-26th September, which is pretty close, but far enough away for those interested to get ready.

I have been thinking about it and I thought that a good local loop would be from Burleigh to Broadbeach, as there is continual bike paths and bike lanes, over the distance of 9k's which makes for a good loop. This is the route:: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3946658

Now the interesting bit, or should I say controversial, is that as it is over 24 hours and about 1/3 of the above route is on the bike lane of a road, any night participants would technically be breaking the law. So, I thought why not make that the focus. I think that we, as skaters, should have equal rights and responsibilities as any other non motorized transport (mmm... bikes). ie: lights for visibility at night and helmets for protection. So, the worthy cause that I am thinking of is "Skating for Skate Awareness".

So what I envision is this: get as many people as you know on a board, blade, pair of skates, whatever... stick a helmet on their head, and lights on the helmet or person (for the night), and meet up at Burleigh point car park on the 25th September. At 9am we roll for 24 hours. If you can't do that amount, then turn up at any point for a roll. I would particularly like to see heaps of skaters for the night time - extravagantly lit up (glowsticks, helmet lights, portable chrissy decorations?). Maybe we could have some sort of prizes for the longest ride and the best lit :-) 9am Sunday finish then breaky barbie at Burleigh, maybe $1 sausage sanga like at the Outlaw madness?

I would still like to raise money for a charity maybe we can pass the hat around for that too.. any suggestions on a worthy cause? (and no.. your new Nemmy is not a worthy cause ;-P)

So there is my crazy idea. What do you all think?

Views: 609

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Awesome, you're getting close! 3 AM seems like the biggest hurdle and not because it's night. Just because the circadian rhythms saying what you're doing is wrong -- don't listen! Night skating's one of the best times of it all, since usually the wind dies down, there's no people to have to slalom through, it's quiet and serene. You might try to get someone to bring something warm in a Thermos like a comfort food or drink, or if they're really organized a little gas camper stove. Give yourself a break from the hammer gels and carbo drink at some point and drink something that makes you happy, like your favorite soup (can be good source of sodium too!)

As for keeping your sanity in check overnight -- I've seen two main personality types drawn to these skates, either the socially-driven team player type, or the introspective solo skater that happily goes it alone. But either way digging deep inside to get through that "wall" at 3 AM seems like our common point, and right afterward the sun coming back up is an insane euphoria.

I'll be skating in solidarity over here stateside for you guys --- Knock it out!!!

Odiwan said:
Yep, I am curious to see how I feel around 3AM. I will make sure that I get some photos and footage for posterity ...

Awesome! the more the merrier.. looking forward to seeing you then.

jay cottrell said:
have gotta work sat but not until 4 so will come down for a few hours and try to bring as many people as i can get a hold of that arent into the scene yet
Hiya James,
Great to have you on ASRA. Yeah I know, closerer and closerer...

Yep, it might be a good idea to have some nice warm stuff around 3AM. I am definitely more the introspective type, but yeah i know from various ventures that the three quarter mark is often the hardest bit. I am quite looking forward to that point but I also know what a psychological hurdle it can be... time to practice a little "on board" meditation, and enjoy the serenity of the night. Oh yes, the sunrise is going to be a pretty special one on Sunday :-D

pavedwave said:
Awesome, you're getting close! 3 AM seems like the biggest hurdle and not because it's night. Just because the circadian rhythms saying what you're doing is wrong -- don't listen! Night skating's one of the best times of it all, since usually the wind dies down, there's no people to have to slalom through, it's quiet and serene. You might try to get someone to bring something warm in a Thermos like a comfort food or drink, or if they're really organized a little gas camper stove. Give yourself a break from the hammer gels and carbo drink at some point and drink something that makes you happy, like your favorite soup (can be good source of sodium too!)

As for keeping your sanity in check overnight -- I've seen two main personality types drawn to these skates, either the socially-driven team player type, or the introspective solo skater that happily goes it alone. But either way digging deep inside to get through that "wall" at 3 AM seems like our common point, and right afterward the sun coming back up is an insane euphoria.

I'll be skating in solidarity over here stateside for you guys --- Knock it out!!!

Odiwan said:
Yep, I am curious to see how I feel around 3AM. I will make sure that I get some photos and footage for posterity ...

Checked in with the guys at 11:30 they were coming back from Labrador all doing well, weather kinda holding. popping back down again around 5
Odiwan in good spirits and still full of pump and go met up with him in Labrador again just before dusk and had a roll with him down to Southport.....now darkness is upon him lights to see where he is going and for people to see him and we pray for short staffed fresh grom police officers to have better things to do than notice well lit responsible skateboarders.....ride on boys
Hank's Place Australia said:
Odiwan in good spirits and still full of pump and go met up with him in Labrador again just before dusk and had a roll with him down to Southport.....now darkness is upon him lights to see where he is going and for people to see him and we pray for short staffed fresh grom police officers to have better things to do than notice well lit responsible skateboarders.....ride on boys

Thanks for the updates!! stoked to hear they are going strong, anyone got odiwan's mobile? I'll drop him a text from here in nz! Now is the hardest time, when it gets dark...
mobile was on the events page here it is: 0418969185
Go son pump on. Yew.
Well, my first Ultra was a success and not so.. I didn't manage to skate the whole thing only half, due to a ligament in my knee which started hurting a little during my first lap, and stopped me finally at just past 9pm. But it was a success in that friendships were made, the weather held up (mostly) and we all had a great ride.

The day started well, with Sam, Josh, Jay, Aaron and Aaron joining me for the start. We were often spread out, so we stopped every few k's so that we could stay together. The Aarons departed at Main Beach, and the remaining 4 of us made it to the turnaround at the end of Labrador at 11.20. Shortly after, we stopped for a bite to eat, and caught up with Herman (Aych), and his lovely family and he made sure that we were all in good shape.

On we went, negotiating major redevelopments in Surfers, the mostly friendly foot traffic on the paths, and the threatening weather... which eventually decided that a light drizzle was what we needed to cool us down and make us skate on wet roads and paths. I think that, given the option between overcast sky and light drizzle, and full spectrum Aussie sun, we did really well. On route through Mermaid we were joined by Lochlainn and we made it back to the start at around 2pm.

After a brief rest, Sam and Josh departed, the first time either of them had done any sort of marathon (great going guys!), as did Lochlainn, while Jay and I continued on lap 2. Jay departed at main beach at around 4pm, and after that I was on my own for the first time that day. On I went to the turnaround, shortly after which I caught up with Herman again, who gave my knee a bit of treatment, as it was definitely getting a little sore by then. Herman joined me for a bit and we skated to Southport in the failing light. After that, I was on my own til Miami at which point i caught up with Lochlainn, AJ, Merrick, Arthur, Sven and Matty (Leadfoot), who had skated up to meet me and skate back the remainder of that lap.

Once we got back, most of the guys departed and Matty, Sven and I took off, grabbed a quick bite to eat and were on our way. We were joined for a short stretch by Jas through Mermaid and we finally stopped in Broadbeach. The last kilometer or so, my knee went from bad to worse and I started to lag behind, after a brief rest we pushed on but my knee made it hard to push, impossible to pump and the path through Surfers became excruciating. By Cavil Ave I basically was limping, so we called it quits there, 12 hours and just on 100k later.

I had a lot of fun, and I think that we all pushed ourselves beyond what we had done before. For my part, I probably should have been training a bit more for it, warming my cranky old ligaments up a bit.

Anyhow, thanks for everyone who came along, cheered us ,helped out, was with us in spirit or donated to the Pakistan flood appeal (don't forget, you can still do that;). And a big up to all the other Ultraskaters worldwide who are hard at it!

Roll on!
Champion effort Odwin! you can't help injuries, especially over a LONG grinding time of skating.
well done, super stoked that you even bought this event to OZ!
Odiwan is the pumping maniac , farked if i can keep up with he's pace , awesome effort . until the next tourturus endevour woooo hoooo , and is it possible to avoid hills when its raining next time ? :)
Odiwan and others - Congratulations! Big effort. Sounds like it was rewarding. 12 hours on board is a very solid effort.

Which knee did you have trouble with Odiwan? The knee you have on the board when pushing? Take care of that knee and live to skate again another day.

any photos? Again, rad effort. Hugely commendable!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Search

© 2024   Created by Bugs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service