ASRA - Australian Skateboard Racing Association

I mentioned this briefly to some of you at the Outlaw Madness, that I would love to hold an Ultraskate event, that is a 24hour skate, usually to raise money and awareness for a worthy cause. Here is the site that usually organises it: http://pavedwave.org/

The next one is slotted for the weekend of 25th-26th September, which is pretty close, but far enough away for those interested to get ready.

I have been thinking about it and I thought that a good local loop would be from Burleigh to Broadbeach, as there is continual bike paths and bike lanes, over the distance of 9k's which makes for a good loop. This is the route:: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3946658

Now the interesting bit, or should I say controversial, is that as it is over 24 hours and about 1/3 of the above route is on the bike lane of a road, any night participants would technically be breaking the law. So, I thought why not make that the focus. I think that we, as skaters, should have equal rights and responsibilities as any other non motorized transport (mmm... bikes). ie: lights for visibility at night and helmets for protection. So, the worthy cause that I am thinking of is "Skating for Skate Awareness".

So what I envision is this: get as many people as you know on a board, blade, pair of skates, whatever... stick a helmet on their head, and lights on the helmet or person (for the night), and meet up at Burleigh point car park on the 25th September. At 9am we roll for 24 hours. If you can't do that amount, then turn up at any point for a roll. I would particularly like to see heaps of skaters for the night time - extravagantly lit up (glowsticks, helmet lights, portable chrissy decorations?). Maybe we could have some sort of prizes for the longest ride and the best lit :-) 9am Sunday finish then breaky barbie at Burleigh, maybe $1 sausage sanga like at the Outlaw madness?

I would still like to raise money for a charity maybe we can pass the hat around for that too.. any suggestions on a worthy cause? (and no.. your new Nemmy is not a worthy cause ;-P)

So there is my crazy idea. What do you all think?

Views: 609

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi all Ultraskaters,

I have just done a a bit of a update to the Facebook event page.

There was talk of holding a sprint race at the same time as the Ultra, but i think that this would be counter productive; better to focus on skating for 24 hours, without holding another event at the same time. I am still keen on a sprint race sometime though ;-)

I encourage anyone keen for a skate to join us on the day, be it for an hour or the whole 24; it'd be nice to see some friendly faces at random times through this.
So very stoked about this!!

With a bit more time on my hands and me being a bit more organised, i'd like to pop over the ditch next time!

I have done 2 ultraskates back in the uk (150 miles is my best) and am looking into sorting one here in chch . Got this up on the front page of skatefurther and am super stoked for you guys.

Skating at night needs to be with someone else, you'll go crazy otherwise. Be vigilant with what you eat and drink.

skatefurther!

nat
Geez... is it that lonely skating at night?

I have been wondering about sustenance. what did you find the best to consume? I always hear about powerbars, dried fruit and nuts and lots of water.... sound like the way to go?

nat 'wafflesole' said:

With a bit more time on my hands and me being a bit more organised, i'd like to pop over the ditch next time!

I have done 2 ultraskates back in the uk (150 miles is my best) and am looking into sorting one here in chch . Got this up on the front page of skatefurther and am super stoked for you guys.

Skating at night needs to be with someone else, you'll go crazy otherwise. Be vigilant with what you eat and drink.

skatefurther!

nat
Get some Hamma Gels there awsome for endurance and light so nice and easy to store.
.Drink no more than 100mls every 15 mins, drinking more will only drag carbs (sugars) from the muscle and into actually processing the water (surprising how much energy it takes for digestion) Slam down a Hamma gel 10 mins from the start then every 30 to 40 mins.............

Odiwan said:
Geez... is it that lonely skating at night?

I have been wondering about sustenance. what did you find the best to consume? I always hear about powerbars, dried fruit and nuts and lots of water.... sound like the way to go?

nat 'wafflesole' said:

skatefurther!

nat
Cheers Colin, I had a a look and I can get hammer gels from Miami Cycles. I will be sure to get some for the day

colin olive said:
Get some Hamma Gels there awsome for endurance and light so nice and easy to store.
.Drink no more than 100mls every 15 mins, drinking more will only drag carbs (sugars) from the muscle and into actually processing the water (surprising how much energy it takes for digestion) Slam down a Hamma gel 10 mins from the start then every 30 to 40 mins.............

We've been a bit on the busy side and had no idea this was going on, slacking not reading enough posts or checking events. Because it is short notice not sure how much we can do, ideally a therapist at each end but I'm sure if you give me a shout this week we can support you with sports therapy for all involved in some way over the 24 hrs
herman@hanksplace-australia.com
damn i'm up there next weekend, not this weekend. Best of luck Odiwan and the other 24hr competitors.
don't forget the beef jerky and Voltaren!
Cheers Hank, I am sure that we need some sort of assistance/ advice as the Ultra goes on. At the moment, I really don't know how many people will be doing the whole 24 hours, but I am sure that there will be some sore bodies through this who will appreciate any help you can give.

Hank's Place Australia said:
We've been a bit on the busy side and had no idea this was going on, slacking not reading enough posts or checking events. Because it is short notice not sure how much we can do, ideally a therapist at each end but I'm sure if you give me a shout this week we can support you with sports therapy for all involved in some way over the 24 hrs
herman@hanksplace-australia.com
Give me a holler when you are up this way... I am hoping to be ready for another roll a week later, maybe not quite so long though.

Trav said:
damn i'm up there next weekend, not this weekend. Best of luck Odiwan and the other 24hr competitors.
don't forget the beef jerky and Voltaren!
Odiwan - you're a madman! I love it!

I'm really looking forward to hearing how this goes. After 24 hours you are gonna feel radical to say the least.
Yep, I am curious to see how I feel around 3AM. I will make sure that I get some photos and footage for posterity ...

haggy said:
Odiwan - you're a madman! I love it!

I'm really looking forward to hearing how this goes. After 24 hours you are gonna feel radical to say the least.
have gotta work sat but not until 4 so will come down for a few hours and try to bring as many people as i can get a hold of that arent into the scene yet

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Search

© 2024   Created by Bugs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service