ASRA - Australian Skateboard Racing Association

Longboard bag? Bringing longboards on airplane

So Im moving from Sweden to Sydney in 2 weeks.

The big question is can I bring my longboards and check them in my baggage?

I'm flying with etihad airways www.etihadairways.com/

I did find a tab for sporting equipment but no information on the webstite about it, had to call an office but they are all closed now.

Im not sure but I suppose I could stuff them in my big baggage bag, the problem is my caften is like 104 cm (41 inches) long and I cant fit it in any of my or my gf:s bags. I will also bring my small z-flex and my loaded vanguard.

I did how ever find some nice longboard bags, like old man army all tough I cant find a supplier here in Sweden that sells them.

Has anyone of you flied with etihad airways? If so how much would it cost to check the boards wrapped in, on the side of my luggage as some kind of extra luggage?

Views: 5637

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

if you check them in separate you will be charged for an extra piece of check in luggage, so you will have to check with your airline how much an extra piece of luggage will be, and also the extra weight, so you will have to weigh your boards.
If you dont want your boards to be exposed and would feel safer having them wrapped up in a bag of some sort i would suggest looking into a Golf bag or a Snowboard bag or a wakeboard bag...
Yea, I flied from Madrid to Sweden last year where I bought my oldschool baord, a small z-flex, at the airport they offered to wrap yous stuff in some kind of protective material and it didnt brake or anything.

The caften I'm pretty sure would hold up to pretty much anything when thrown into the baggage room of the plane, not so sure about the vanguard :P

But yea some sort of snowboard or golf bag would probably be a good choice, if I'm lucky its good enough to hold my other baggage such as shoes, clothes and my dj equipment, that why I wouldn't have to check in a extra bag and save me some money.
well get yourself a heavy duty golf bag (make sure its heavy duty coz you want the stitching to be able to take the load and not fall apart while on the plane, its happened to me) and then you will have enough room for your boards and clothes and what not. I had a golf bag and packed two complete downhill boards, my leathers, shoes, 25 sets of wheels and all sorts of other crap in there and it held up fine
Sounds like a good idea. Just hope they wont ask me to check it in as sports equipment (as its a golf bag :P)

But yea I will start to look at some used ones on the internet, thanks for the tip.

Jacko said:
well get yourself a heavy duty golf bag (make sure its heavy duty coz you want the stitching to be able to take the load and not fall apart while on the plane, its happened to me) and then you will have enough room for your boards and clothes and what not. I had a golf bag and packed two complete downhill boards, my leathers, shoes, 25 sets of wheels and all sorts of other crap in there and it held up fine
your best bet is to check it in as sporting equipment, as sometimes you get extra baggage allowance depending on your airline. Doesn't matter what is in the bag, if its a golf bag and they assume its golf clubs thats their business, and its not golf clubs it doesn't matter, the contents of your bag is none of their business as long as they meet the legal requirements and aren't forbidden or restricted items (i.e explosives) all that concerns them is if the equipment inside is used for sporting needs or not.

Dont buy a used one, you want something solid and something you can trust. Buy second hand you run the risk of having weak stitching and it might fall apart. The bags aren't that expensive. i got mine for $130 and its solid as

Luan Berisha said:
Sounds like a good idea. Just hope they wont ask me to check it in as sports equipment (as its a golf bag :P)
But yea I will start to look at some used ones on the internet, thanks for the tip.
Jacko said:
first of all. thats awesome that you bring 3 boards with you on holidays :D
i made a thread about this like 2 weeks ago somewhere on this site and everyone said, either strap it to your bag or use a body boarding bag
Thanks for the help guys, I spoke with the airline and they seemed cool about it. Im allowed tro have 20kg baggage and thety said if I pack 18kg in my main bag I can have a spearate bag with my boards as long as I dont exced 20 kg.
I am in the Netherlands at the moment, and I flew over here with three boards (hustler, fsu dropspeed, Powell Peralta pool deck) making up 50% of my weight allotment.

When packing the boards, I headed down to the local supermarket and picked up a few boxes, cut them apart, formed them into one long, slim box, and duct taped the hell out of it, packing the boards inside with a little bubble wrap. It was meant to be a throwaway 'bag', but so far it has lasted me through several countries, and will be making the flight back with me on Friday. Give it a shot, man, it works very well and doesn't waste any of your weight allowance.
Matt Mckillop said:
I am in the Netherlands at the moment, and I flew over here with three boards (hustler, fsu dropspeed, Powell Peralta pool deck) making up 50% of my weight allotment.
When packing the boards, I headed down to the local supermarket and picked up a few boxes, cut them apart, formed them into one long, slim box, and duct taped the hell out of it, packing the boards inside with a little bubble wrap. It was meant to be a throwaway 'bag', but so far it has lasted me through several countries, and will be making the flight back with me on Friday. Give it a shot, man, it works very well and doesn't waste any of your weight allowance.

GHetto style ftw :D

I found a perfect bag, its designed to carry 20 floorball sticks and other floorball equipment. My kebbek caften is 110 cm and the bag is 120 cm, pretty perfect:

SO what I got in there:
Loaded vanguard
Kebbek caften
Zflex mini board
2 pair of 180mm trucks
1 pair of tracker midtrack trucks
4 flywheels
4 gumballs
4 kryptronics
Fullface helmet
Skate tools
Gloves

And there is still some room on the side, bet I could fit leathers in there too (if I had any:P)

And best of all it was cheap 45 AUD! I looked at the old man army longboard bag and it was 166 aud, so Im happy with my bag.

[img]http://filesmelt.com/dl/IMG_00213.JPG[/img]
[img]http://filesmelt.com/dl/IMG_00221.JPG[/img]

Only downside is that its currently 13.4 kg and my max allowance on the plane is 20kg + 8kg hand bag. So that has to go for all my clothes and dj equipment lol, Half of my baggage is longboard, well well what dont you do :D
where did you get the bag from?. i travel every holidays and have always just bubble wraped my boards. but i cant take as much gear as i would like in my case. but by the sounds of things you can fit alot into that bag that you have.

Luan Berisha said:
Matt Mckillop said:

GHetto style ftw :D

I found a perfect bag, its designed to carry 20 floorball sticks and other floorball equipment. My kebbek caften is 110 cm and the bag is 120 cm, pretty perfect:

SO what I got in there:
Loaded vanguard
Kebbek caften
Zflex mini board
2 pair of 180mm trucks
1 pair of tracker midtrack trucks
4 flywheels
4 gumballs
4 kryptronics
Fullface helmet
Skate tools
Gloves

And there is still some room on the side, bet I could fit leathers in there too (if I had any:P)

And best of all it was cheap 45 AUD! I looked at the old man army longboard bag and it was 166 aud, so Im happy with my bag.

[img]http://filesmelt.com/dl/IMG_00213.JPG[/img]
[img]http://filesmelt.com/dl/IMG_00221.JPG[/img]

Only downside is that its currently 13.4 kg and my max allowance on the plane is 20kg + 8kg hand bag. So that has to go for all my clothes and dj equipment lol, Half of my baggage is longboard, well well what dont you do :D
I bought it here in Sweden, its a common bag for transporting big amounts of floor ball sticks lol. Its the perfect size and cheap too. Dont know how big floor ball is in Australia but check out your local sports store.
Yeahhhh I just checked out some of these bags! They look very practical for skating. Try searching for grass hockey bags here in Australia, you'll find alot more options, and there mostly under the $100 mark. Grays and mazon bags had the most options.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Search

© 2024   Created by Bugs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service