ASRA - Australian Skateboard Racing Association

hi guys,,
from the out side looking in, there was some chat about less slalom events and riders. After having a chat to bugs and haggy, i have a suggestion...longboard slalom. The older riders who may have a longboard and who feel comfortable with that board set up then could come have a roll and also we could try to introduce the grooms who race downhill and also have a longboard to roll with. This then may introduce more riders who have a board and do not have to lay out some coin for another slalom set up and can ride and possibly just adjust what they ride right now?
We thought that it would only be a matter of setting up the cones differently and for the sake of some words and using the internet to advertise this, it may be worthwhile.
I am more than happy to poke this along and know some team palooka riders who will join in on their boats and have a roll and giggle.

Rules...min 38" deck and longer wheel base?
What do you experienced guys think?
cheers
skinny

Views: 537

Replies to This Discussion

Mischo is a Racer.......what's the bet he will have trouble resisting the slalom challenge?

Mt Panorama has heaps of good bitumen ....... so the bigger question is can ASRA resist the challenge of slalom at Bathurst????????

Bugs said:

I don't get the impression that Mischo is a slalomer. On the other hand, not many people in the world are gonna beat Jacko, Zak Maytum or Ramon Konigshausen at slalom.

I think it would be great to have slalom at Bathurst. So do it - there's space behind the startline.

BUT,

• It will have to take place concurrently with the downhill.
  • Myself, Haggy and Robbo will not be able to organise it - we'll be busy with the downhill.

Perhaps if we can get more than 12 people entered we can replace luge with giant slalom?

Surly we can beet 12 entrants?

This is in no way a G up for luge but 12 entries! Ok perhaps it is but at 12 people do you realy think that its going to happen?

Lets get giant slalom happening. will be a shit load more than 12. i would think we could make 100 if it was on starting just above Forrest elbow.

My first thought is that the equity angle is good, but the practical angle is not so good - unlike luge, we'd need to constantly be setting the course and taking it down again, moving the start ramps in and out, counting cones, and having only two riders at a time instead of four. For the same amount of people as luge, giant slalom would take a LOT longer.

But maybe we could run the slalom on some other part of the track? Mountain Straight is a bit flat, Conrod Straight is great, but busy with the downhill - what about the hill just after the uphill runout after the downhill finish line? It's got a bit of pitch. But the shuttle buses for the downhill will be passing through every 10 minutes or so.

Any other ideas?

Dave M said:

Perhaps if we can get more than 12 people entered we can replace luge with giant slalom?

Surly we can beet 12 entrants?

This is in no way a G up for luge but 12 entries! Ok perhaps it is but at 12 people do you realy think that its going to happen?

Lets get giant slalom happening. will be a shit load more than 12. i would think we could make 100 if it was on starting just above Forrest elbow.

All hypertheticle but with the use of transponders i think it could be done.

Realy just depends on how much Stress it would put on the Track staff with the unknown factors of an aditional event.

Once cones were marked out set up and take down is fairly quicky. I think with some seriouse discusion justification of the event could be made.

As it is GS cones are not knocked out of possition as much as TS.

Multiple riders on cource at one time and in the event that a cone was knocked out the honestey rule could be used but more than likely if cone was knocked out it would be the same one in most instances so a spotter could be put in that place to set up and report DQ on cone.

hey Burnie.

What ever the case im in and will do my best to help out.

i agree with bugs the spot over the runout area is a better option & it will not hinder the downhill schedule, i skated it 3 weeks ago, its not bad...

Been thinking....(my curse!)
I reckon there could be 3 "slalom side-show" events.

Day 1) The Eddie Spearing 100 Cone Challenge. 

Course set on mountain straight, behind the finish line, to where the buses turn around, and only using half the track, so ambulance and service vehicles can get through OK,  like we did in 2008.  No start ramp needed, just a timer and cones,  loan boards, deckchair and clipboard...oh and a money jar.  Could be run by 1 or two people.

It can run all day without interfering with the main event, and downhill racers can have a crack at it between heats or after they are eliminated.  And course marshalls can get a go and use it to set a time during their lunch break. 
This will help everyone get their wiggle happening for the next event on the following day!

I would also make sure that there is a Penny board available for the 100 cone challenge - because that is what the next generation of slalomers are riding right now - and Penny will probably kick in with a prize - besides you lot can skate anything...can't you!

$1.00 per run, fastest clean run wins the 3/3 of the cash, fastest Penny wins 1/3 of the cash (or what Penny provide)

Everyone who wants to do head to head could set a 100 cone time for their ranking so we can save the time normally used for qualifying for the head to head race.

Day 2)  The Conrod Cup

Lunch time head to head on Conrod Straight. - between the run-out and the chicane. 
Racers "start rankings" can be set by using times from the 100 cone challenge, in order to save qualifying time on the day.
(if racers can't get to Bathurst in time for the 100 cones, their 2012 ASRA ranking could be used)

Track verge is wide enough to get the buses through providing it is not wet, and that area retains a good connection with the main event, so that racers waiting for the next bus can see it. 

Non downhill racers $20 entry, downhill racers & track marshalls free - ASRA points and a new set of bearings for 1st 2nd & 3rd.

Day 2 and 3) The Forest Chase GS

Longboard GS Forest Elbow to Conrod finish line - after the main event has finished - Day 1 practice, Day 2 Race.
free to downhill racers  and track marshalls. 
(if downhill racing finishes at 3:30pm, there could be about 1 hour of GS racing before handing the road back)

Could be single lane with transponders for continous racing or head to head with the trackmate.

(will need a motorbike to get the transponders back, and a clamps to fix transponders to boards, Retro Racer, are you interested in helping with this???)

Don't forget this is all a side-show to the downhill event, and should not be run in a way which interfers with the operations of the downhill race, however it should be run in a way which ,makes it easy to organise and open to as many as possible. 

Hope this helps!

So given time and access, option 1 is it.

Skyline has also had Head to Head slalom at the 1st Bathurst Downhill.

RSS

Search

© 2024   Created by Bugs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service